Refinishing Speaker Cabs

Re: Refinishing Speaker Cabs

It does adhere to Latex's but how that base coat of latex is applied has a lot do do with how tough the finish will end up. If the base coat of Latex (lets assume were talking home exterior Latex paint)is not applied very well the weakest point of course would be the initial adhesion of the Latex to the primer or the primer to the bare wood.If the base coat is applied well then sanding that should yield a very good bond to the Duratex even on oil based paints.

I would definitely sand any fully cured base coat you apply the Duratex on top of.

The roller grade works well and yields very good coverage.

I know a few guys who like to stretch the soup so to speak so they always primer with a water born primer prior to using Duratex.They sand the primer and then they usually get away with one thick coat using a hopper gun and spray grade Duratex.

I have oil heat in my home and one room in my basement has the Oil Burner/Tanks etc. along with a stack heater vented to that room.After painting cabs I place them in there for 2-3 days as it stays pretty toasty (around 78F)and is generally nice and dry.

I use a standard 72 hrs. till handling the cabs.

Thanks for the info. I have been using Behr exterior paint with some latex floor varnish mixed in to keep cabinets from sticking when it is really hot, it seems to make the paint a bit more scuff resistant too.

It's hard to rate durability, but seems after about 60 load in/out cycles, the latex really needs a repaint, due to cabinet to cabinet scuffing and bare wood from grinding on cement or steel.

Any durability comparisons of latex compared to Duratex you might make?

Really no. I dont have any cabs covered with latex to compare to. The Duratex ones take a pretty good pounding but are also prone to gouging.As far as cab to cab marring they handle that pretty well.Duratex tends to be a bit slippy as well. It certainly wont allow boxes to stick together on a hot day.

Really no. I dont have any cabs covered with latex to compare to. The Duratex ones take a pretty good pounding but are also prone to gouging.As far as cab to cab marring they handle that pretty well.Duratex tends to be a bit slippy as well. It certainly wont allow boxes to stick together on a hot day.

It has taken two guys to pull cabinets apart sometimes after they were stacked outside for a couple weeks, sometimes tearing wood off in the process. I would not miss that at all !

DuraTex is about twice the price of good latex, but if it lasts twice as long, would certainly be worth it.

I'll try a gallon and see how it holds up comparatively.