Replacement options for 01v96-VCM

Duncan McLennan

Freshman
Mar 22, 2011
Waterloo, ON
Hi folks,

been lurking like crazy but not participating much over the last couple years, here, or at PSW. Seems I am in need of your knowledge once again.

My trusty 01v96 is moving on to new ownership, and I'll need to replace it. I love the 01v96 for its interface. I grew up mixing on the 0 series boards and I'm very comfortable with them. Even more so than on analog. The primary use of its replacement, however, will be for my wedding band. In which I play drums, and mix at the same time. Of course I'll still work mixing others with it here and there.

My basic requirements are:
-16 channels (play house music from USB to free up two of them would be a great bonus)
-compression/gates/EQ not a step down from 01v96
-minimum 6 aux sends in addition to FX sends
-2 FX units (3-4 preferable)

My wish list includes:
-iPad control (WITHOUT a computer)
-possibly a rack mount format w/ iPad (minimal control surface) in order to save space/look tidy on stage
-firewire/USB recording interface for tracking and 'virtual sound check'
-recallable head amps
-moving faders (if it has faders... my admittedly limited experience on the SL board was less than pleasant)

So what I'm wondering is, who has side by side experience with the 01v96 and what seem to be the usual suspects these days (X32, Qu16, Studiolive 16.4.2) and are there any options I'm not considering? What will I miss about the Yamaha, and what will make me think 'how did I live without this?' Also curious about iX16 as I see from the MASSIVE X32 thread that it is undergoing a redesign. Should I wait a couple months until NAMM to make a decision?

Thanks as always for your invaluable knowledge and opinions.

Re: Replacement options for 01v96-VCM

Dick,

am I correct in looking at the Qu-16 that is has four FX processors but only two FX sends on the master layer? How does that work, exactly?

I have the 24.4.2, x32 and x32-rack (+ a retired 02r) and been working with various yamaha consoles.

I have to say that going back to the 24.4.2 feels at times frustrating due to its limited features. Since you are used to the yamaha I think you will feel the same. Specially when you mention that you prefer them to analog. Don't get me wrong. The studiolive does work and sound very good for its intended applications...

For your setup and situation a rack mounted mixer is the best course and the x32-rack fits the bill if you like the. Ipad-only approach. You can complement it with a mackie compatible hui to control it with real faders.

Depending on your musical style you may also enjoy the type of fx included like the wave designer, tube stage for some power and grit.

I don't know the qu16 and the ix16 will probably be a couple of months away, I'm speculating around q4-2014.

Hi Duncan,

I have a couple 01V96s in local venues, and one for my small sound system.
I just ordered a UMMU box that is supposed to eliminate the need for a laptop.
Add a recording interface with ADAT inputs and you have everything but the recallable headamps, which I am ok without.

Welcome to StrongSoft - Innovative Apple Mac and iPhone Software
UMMU Box Interface bundled with TP-Link Nano WiFi Router | eBay
I got the version without the the router.

At 15#, the little X32 rack-mount mixer certainly look interesting.

Thanks and good health, Weogo

We have just added a Soundcraft Si Expression to our inventory. Early assessment is very positive. 16 on board mic pres; 4 effects; 4 band eq w/parametric mid bands, sweep hi/lo shelving; 14 aux/group outs; iPad control; cat 5/remote pre options; rack mount. Surely worth considering.

Soundcraft - [Products]

Hi folks,

been lurking like crazy but not participating much over the last couple years, here, or at PSW. Seems I am in need of your knowledge once again.

My trusty 01v96 is moving on to new ownership, and I'll need to replace it. I love the 01v96 for its interface. I grew up mixing on the 0 series boards and I'm very comfortable with them. Even more so than on analog. The primary use of its replacement, however, will be for my wedding band. In which I play drums, and mix at the same time. Of course I'll still work mixing others with it here and there.

My basic requirements are:
-16 channels (play house music from USB to free up two of them would be a great bonus)
-compression/gates/EQ not a step down from 01v96
-minimum 6 aux sends in addition to FX sends
-2 FX units (3-4 preferable)

My wish list includes:
-iPad control (WITHOUT a computer)
-possibly a rack mount format w/ iPad (minimal control surface) in order to save space/look tidy on stage
-firewire/USB recording interface for tracking and 'virtual sound check'
-recallable head amps
-moving faders (if it has faders... my admittedly limited experience on the SL board was less than pleasant)

So what I'm wondering is, who has side by side experience with the 01v96 and what seem to be the usual suspects these days (X32, Qu16, Studiolive 16.4.2) and are there any options I'm not considering? What will I miss about the Yamaha, and what will make me think 'how did I live without this?' Also curious about iX16 as I see from the MASSIVE X32 thread that it is undergoing a redesign. Should I wait a couple months until NAMM to make a decision?

Thanks as always for your invaluable knowledge and opinions.
Hi Duncan,

There are a few contenders for your $3000.00 ;)

If size is no problem, the full X32 would be my recommendation.
If size and weight are your most important factors, then either the X32 Rack, or the DL1608 (these are also the least expensive options).

In the middle of size and weight (rack mount mixer with a control surface), I just have a few comments on the remaining contenders.

The Expression Si can not record and playback multi-track for a virtual sound check without the purchase of a 1K MADI card.

The Qu-16 can not only record and playback multi-track for a virtual sound check, it can do it without an external computer! It only needs an external hard drive (not USB Stick). Neat feature.

Behringer is now shipping its X32 Producer; however, you have to live with 2 layers of 8 faders to access your 16 channels .... and they opted to remove the LCD scribble strips which are on its bigger brothers. All X32 family mixers can multi-track record and virtual sound check, but they require a computer to do so..... for now. Rumor has it that they are developing something like A&H's Qu-drive capability.

The Qu-16 remote options are not as mature or as feature rich as the X32 applications are.

While I have had issues navigating on an O1v, it is a pretty feature packed little mixer. If that is what you are used to, you may find the Qu-16 limiting in comparison.

My best bet for what you have stated is that the X32 Rack may be your best option (if you can live with no physical interface on the mixer).

Good luck with your decision!

Hi,

I am in a similar position to the OP with regards updating my 0V196. In my case it is because I am increasingly being asked if I can record multitracks.

As I only use the inbuilt analogue inputs, one of the great things for me at the moment, is that I can internally split the incoming signals to use channels 17 – 32 as an effectively separate monitor mixer. This is something I would like to maintain on any new mixer I buy.

The cheapest option seems to be a Dante card for my present 0V1 (pity there are no adat – usb adapters). Alternatively the choice of new mixers would be between the 0V196i or one of the X32 range (either compact or producer). The main advantage of the Yamaha would be the ability to link the two mixers together.

As I wish to record to a standard laptop, without the need for special cards or adapters, I suppose I am restricting myself to mixers with a usb interface.

To sum up, if it was you would go with the ‘96i, X32, or Dante, and why. If I’ve missed any other mixers with the feature requirement I need please point them out. Price is a factor, so please keep alternative suggestions realistic. Learning a new workflow is not a problem so ease of use in the first 5 minutes is irrelevant.

Thanks.

As a note to Duncan, I control my 0V1 from a netbook using an old netgear wireless router and a Belkin cat5 to usb hub. The router and hub are fixed in a case; I just plug into the mains and connect to the usb socket on the mixer. Apart from being built in to the mixer it couldn’t be simpler.

I would go with the X32.

My major pros:
+ 32 input channels, not always al physical but expandable via S16 or another X32.
So you workflow to use 16 physical inputs on two banks of 16 channels is supported.
+ ability to record 32 tracks, the 01V supports max. 24 with Adat, Dante only supports 16 channels.
+ 8 FX slots with GEQs which are not available on 01V, imo the effects on the X32 are also of better quality
+ remote control via network with iPad, Mac, Windows and Linux. The remote software supports almost any feature of the mixer.

Mybe a cons:
- no support of 96kHz, but dont forget that this will reduce the max. Channels to record via Dante to eight.

Hi,

I am in a similar position to the OP with regards updating my 0V196. In my case it is because I am increasingly being asked if I can record multitracks.

As I only use the inbuilt analogue inputs, one of the great things for me at the moment, is that I can internally split the incoming signals to use channels 17 – 32 as an effectively separate monitor mixer. This is something I would like to maintain on any new mixer I buy.

The cheapest option seems to be a Dante card for my present 0V1 (pity there are no adat – usb adapters). Alternatively the choice of new mixers would be between the 0V196i or one of the X32 range (either compact or producer). The main advantage of the Yamaha would be the ability to link the two mixers together.

As I wish to record to a standard laptop, without the need for special cards or adapters, I suppose I am restricting myself to mixers with a usb interface.

To sum up, if it was you would go with the ‘96i, X32, or Dante, and why. If I’ve missed any other mixers with the feature requirement I need please point them out. Price is a factor, so please keep alternative suggestions realistic. Learning a new workflow is not a problem so ease of use in the first 5 minutes is irrelevant.

Thanks.

As a note to Duncan, I control my 0V1 from a netbook using an old netgear wireless router and a Belkin cat5 to usb hub. The router and hub are fixed in a case; I just plug into the mains and connect to the usb socket on the mixer. Apart from being built in to the mixer it couldn’t be simpler.

Just to mention: The 01v(96) is one of few Yamaha mixers where getting a Dante card may not be worthwhile: Even if you are happy with using the Dante card as a I/O-Interface now, if you further down the line would like to connect a Yamaha RIO box to the Dante card, you'll have no way to control the gain of the RIO's preamps.

If you want to go from the 01v96's ADAT port into a computer for recording, there are many ADAT-equipped interfaces to choose from, with something like M-Audio probably being the most inexpensive, and something like RME being the most high-end.

Thanks for the replies. I’m not sure why I kept typing 0V1 in the above post rather than 01V; old age creeping up on me I guess.

Kristian,

I’ve explored the ADAT route but haven’t seen any which convert simply and cheaply to usb. Of the RME ones I’ve seen, the model with 2 X ADAT I/Os costs as much as a new mixer, so I may as well go for the new mixer option which would keep the amount of gear down and give me a back-up mixer.

I’m in the UK and both the ‘96i and 32 Producer are about £1600; as is the Fireface UFX. If I have missed something that will get me from the ADAT outs to usb in at a reasonable price I will be happy to admit I was wrong.

I only use my own gear for small local gigs and given my age I’m not looking to expand greatly. If it wasn’t for the recording requests, my current mixer is fine. From that point of view I don’t envisage going down the digital stage box route (famous last words); so unless there is a 16 channel ADAT – usb adaptor cheaper than £500 (Dante cost) I don’t see how the Dante’s lack of flexibility would be a disadvantage over a different adaptor.

Thanks for the input from both you and Klaus. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

Have you looked at the 01V96i?

It meets everything on your list, except for the recallable head amps and the iPad app. The USB port on the i version can be used for 16 channels of record or playback. You can get them for less than $1,900 from the right suppliers.

Thanks for the replies. I’m not sure why I kept typing 0V1 in the above post rather than 01V; old age creeping up on me I guess.

Kristian,

I’ve explored the ADAT route but haven’t seen any which convert simply and cheaply to usb. Of the RME ones I’ve seen, the model with 2 X ADAT I/Os costs as much as a new mixer, so I may as well go for the new mixer option which would keep the amount of gear down and give me a back-up mixer.

I’m in the UK and both the ‘96i and 32 Producer are about £1600; as is the Fireface UFX. If I have missed something that will get me from the ADAT outs to usb in at a reasonable price I will be happy to admit I was wrong.

I only use my own gear for small local gigs and given my age I’m not looking to expand greatly. If it wasn’t for the recording requests, my current mixer is fine. From that point of view I don’t envisage going down the digital stage box route (famous last words); so unless there is a 16 channel ADAT – usb adaptor cheaper than £500 (Dante cost) I don’t see how the Dante’s lack of flexibility would be a disadvantage over a different adaptor.

Thanks for the input from both you and Klaus. Much appreciated.

No problem.

I do feel fairly confident I have seen inexpensive PC soundcards around, that had an ADAT port. Perhaps something will turn up. The RME end of the scale does seem overkill for a 01v96.

If you're playing drums and mixing at the same time, the X32 rack would be a great option. The mixer then doesn't have to live next to you on stage, and the iPad app is VERY easy to use. You can use up to 32 channels, or you can patch channels into multiple places and mute the ones not being used for a quick change configuration. i.e., band set A is on channel 1-16, band set B is on 17-32. Very powerful little box for $1500 MSRP.