Replacement options for QSC ADS282H

Jan 14, 2011
San Francisco, CA
This is a dual 8" woofer / 1" horn loudspeaker that QSC has removed from its lineup and sourcing parts for repairs is now very difficult. The environment is a exercise studio playing music and vocals at very high volumes.

What are some viable alternatives in the price range of $700 (contractor cost, not MSRP) per box? Open to more expensive options if it gets the job done.

Community has a dual 8" model with 120-degree horizontal dispersion (http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/5172...ty-IC6-2082-26) but I am skeptical of these kinds of claims. If someone has experience with such speakers please let me know.

Assuming you're set on the 2x8" + horn configuration, Community also has the V2-28 that's a bit less expensive and JBL and EV both have similar offerings.

Can you move to a 12+horn configuration? That'll get you quite a few more options.

Isn't the V-series going to be less resilient at extended high output operations? I did see that one but I worry about long term reliability.

As for 12+, I think that would be overkill in terms of low frequency response. These dual 8s spend most of their energy on vocals.

The Community stuff has historically been pretty good about meeting the published specifications, so provided you're not trying to push the speaker beyond what it's designed to do, you should be fine. The higher-end box does have a rather higher sensitivity, though, and will give you more output.

A 12+horn won't always have more LF response than a dual 8" box, since for a given driver configuration the designer can trade off LF extension/size/efficiency. Many of the dual 8" boxes are less efficient than the 12" boxes, even with the same operating range.

What parts do you need for them, QSC still has the main components listed for sale on the spare parts section of their web site, The high frequency driver and woofer are B&C those parts could be sourced else where as well.

Are you properly powering them, high pass filtering and proper limiting go a long way in protecting speakers that are used in a system operated by the general public.

Last edited: