Say What??

$2000 headphones?

LCD3 | Audeze

"Planar Transducer" ?

"Planar Transducers are fundamentally different from conventional cone speakers or dynamic drivers. Planar Magnetic speakers use a flat, lightweight diaphragm suspended in a magnetic field as the driver rather than a cone attached to a voice coil. The diaphragm has a circuit pattern etched into it that, when energized, creates the forces that drive the diaphragm to move in the magnetic field to produce sound. Planar magnetic speakers, when implemented well, have inherent advantages over cone speakers."

Re: Say What??

$2000 headphones?

LCD3 | Audeze

"Planar Transducer" ?

"Planar Transducers are fundamentally different from conventional cone speakers or dynamic drivers. Planar Magnetic speakers use a flat, lightweight diaphragm suspended in a magnetic field as the driver rather than a cone attached to a voice coil. The diaphragm has a circuit pattern etched into it that, when energized, creates the forces that drive the diaphragm to move in the magnetic field to produce sound. Planar magnetic speakers, when implemented well, have inherent advantages over cone speakers."

They have company:

Grado PS1000i (PS1000) Dynamic Open-Air Headphones w/Padded Ear-Cups

Re: Say What??

Maybe they work best at the event horizon of a vortex. :roll: Mark C.

They're just a ribbon, like a ribbon mic working in reverse. They work fine, aside from the fact that they have to be physically large to reproduce LF (like anything) and therefore tend to have funny HF patterns when used as larger loudspeakers (since that HF rides on the same panel as the LF in most designs). My father in law has a pair of Magnepan 1.7s and they sound quite good. Of course, in 1/6 the space I could get 6dB louder without all the pattern compromises and with greater LF extension, but they do look cool.

These guys make an arrayable panel loudspeaker which some have heard.

Those headphones are in the same price category of some of the Sennheiser and Grado higher end pieces, which sound incredible when driven with a serious preamp and are a hell of a lot cheaper than trying to get the same level of output, extension, and fidelity in your living room.