Severe Weather, Oklahoma and Kansas, check in!

Jan 11, 2011
Tulsa, OK
www.justicebigler.com
Did you make it through the two tornadoes that plowed through Wichita today?

I've been monitoring the weather all day, sitting in my booth running sound for three dance recitals all day long. Been an interesting day to say the least. They cancelled Mayfest early because of the weather. But we decided to forge ahead. Everything pretty much evaporated by the time it made the trip up the Turn Pike. But Edmond and Shawnee got hit pretty hard.

967066_653348028015174_2101285679_o.jpg

Re: Tim McCulloch...are you alive?

Yep, I'm here. The RibFest gig ended 2 hours early last night due to weather. Today the tornado that went over SW Wichita went right over my house but wasn't on the ground. Minor hail damage. Storm was serious enough that the TV weather guys moved to shelter.

I was watching the radar also, and saw the OKC-area storms. It's the warm up for Rocklahoma, I'm afraid.

The tablet radar display looks like Pykl3....

Good to hear you made it through. Tomorrow look like it's shaping up to be a repeat.

Tablet is Pykl3 radar. My laptop is running Gibson Ridge Level 2, high res level 2 nexrad radar software. It's a bandwidth hog unless you are on a wifi or hard wire network connection.

As I recall from my time at Ft Riley, tornadoes are not exactly rare in KS... There's a reason Dorothy lived in KS. "Toto, I don't think we're in KS anymore. "

JR

PS: BTW Tornadoes are not very rare in MS either... Here, you mainly need to avoid Mobile home parks... The odds of getting splatted by tornado is pretty small.

Southwest Okla. City/Moore getting hit NOW by a big one. They're saying it's as big as the "May 3rd, 1999" tornado.

Last edited:

Looks like it may get rated as an EF5. A mile wide and 200mph wind, along with tennis ball sized hail.

Hope nobody gets killed or injured.

Major damage from mile-wide tornado near Okla. City

Best regards,

John

So far, at LEAST 51 fatalities. I don't know if that included the unconfirmed 24 found in an elementary school!

The weather forecasters knew yesterday that we were in for a second day of tornadoes. But when you consider the size and wind speed of this one, tracking through a heavily populated area, it's not surprising that a lot of people would be caught off guard or unprepared.

Local coverage:
Weather - Storm Coverage - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Yeah not good.

Two elementary schools got hit, once of them took a direct hit with a bunch of students and teachers inside in Moore, just south of Oklahoma City. Early reports are that a couple of dozen children may have died.

My immediate family and close friends in the are are safe. Still waiting on word from other friends in Moore and surrounding areas. Cell phone and internet service is down. National Guard being mobilized. This may be bigger than the May 1999 tornado.

edit: if you have friends or family in the area, send them a text message. Uses less bandwidth than voice communication and will cue in the system until service is restored and a clear channel is open.

Last edited:

Simply devastating, I was glued to the tv watching this. Here in Oklahoma we are used to very good weather reporting. The three major network affiliates in OKC are very competitive. I personally like KFOR(nbc) and KOCO(abc). KFOR has the better chopper crew and KOCO the better storm chasers. During the tornado and the aftermath, The Weather Channel streamed the KFOR coverage. KFOR also tracked the entire path of the May 3, 1999 tornado. I also noticed several years ago that the local weathermen started going beyond the usual warnings. If they believe a tornado is very violent, they will warn, either get below ground or get out of the way.

Lets hear it for FEMA.....oh wait, the two senators from Oklahoma have repeatedly voted to defund FEMA! I am sure they will forget all those votes on the senate floor and will be begging for relief funds.

Since politics are not verboten here, I will post an agreement. Imhofe and Coburn present an interesting dichotomy to voters: presenting disasters as something states should be responsible for and demanding that any federal relief funds be taken from other programs. It reflects a lack of compassion and understanding that relief from natural disasters is one of the things the federal government SHOULD do. So now that Oklahomans are in need of help, will their senators oppose relief efforts? Will they promote taking funds from other programs?

While I hope families and businesses in Oklahoma receive the help they need, I also hope voters that elected Coburn and Imhofe will see what kind of senators they have elected and not repeat their mistake... but having lived in Oklahoma I'm fairly certain they will re-elect these two. Now that Kansas has gone batshit wacky, too, I'm looking for a place where sane people predominate, and mostly that doesn't seem to be between the Rocky Mountains and the Blue Ridge Mountains...

Since politics are not verboten here, I will post an agreement.
I see this more a matter of public policy and governance than politics, but IMO anything can be discussed as long as it is done with respect for other opinions.
Imhofe and Coburn present an interesting dichotomy to voters: presenting disasters as something states should be responsible for and demanding that any federal relief funds be taken from other programs.
A fair suggestion, government does not have a bottomless pocket to draw money from... They are spending money they get from us. If some state needs emergency aid, some other program can be trimmed. The amount of waste in government is significant, while that is yet another subject.
It reflects a lack of compassion and understanding that relief from natural disasters is one of the things the federal government SHOULD do.
Why exactly is that? Because they have deep pockets? Which is our money BTW. It is not literally the responsibility of the federal government to make citizens whole after any and every loss. I suspect this is an extension of the congress whose day job is to fund federal agencies and is already busy spending money hand over fist on so many things, that they would feel guilty if they don't slide some of that big money to OK.

I don't recall when it became common practice for the federal government to act as an emergency responder for weather events. I do recall Bush getting severe criticism for how badly N.O. was handled after Katrina, but LA certainly contributed to their own problems with dysfunctional local services. After NY/NJ experienced what hurricanes can do, they demanded federal aid instantly and were angry because it came in the middle of a contentious (still contentious) federal budget process.

This is the current law (FEMA) and accepted public policy, that said somebody still needs to be adult about government spending.
So now that Oklahomans are in need of help, will their senators oppose relief efforts? Will they promote taking funds from other programs?
Nobody opposes helping people in need. That said we always need to be prudent about spending. There will never be a lack of worthy causes or disasters du jour.
While I hope families and businesses in Oklahoma receive the help they need,
I do too, tornados can be pretty destructive if you are in the wrong spot at the wrong time.
I also hope voters that elected Coburn and Imhofe will see what kind of senators they have elected and not repeat their mistake... but having lived in Oklahoma I'm fairly certain they will re-elect these two. Now that Kansas has gone batshit wacky, too, I'm looking for a place where sane people predominate, and mostly that doesn't seem to be between the Rocky Mountains and the Blue Ridge Mountains...

This is an old screed, and it isn't quite that simple, but I see some merit in term limits. There is something about spending too much time in DC that causes a disconnect from the rest of us (and reality). I think we the people (including Tim) have a surplus of common sense, that I don't see in the legislature as they become perverted by their political pursuit.

=====
I wish nothing but the best outcomes for OK residents and see this as pretty low on the list for my criticisms of federal government. Seriously funding FEMA is the best we can find to complain about?

I suspect the government is relieved by the opportunity to change the subject, as they juggle multiple self-inflicted political disasters.

JR

Since politics are not verboten here, I will post an agreement. Imhofe and Coburn present an interesting dichotomy to voters: presenting disasters as something states should be responsible for and demanding that any federal relief funds be taken from other programs. It reflects a lack of compassion and understanding that relief from natural disasters is one of the things the federal government SHOULD do. So now that Oklahomans are in need of help, will their senators oppose relief efforts? Will they promote taking funds from other programs?

While I hope families and businesses in Oklahoma receive the help they need, I also hope voters that elected Coburn and Imhofe will see what kind of senators they have elected and not repeat their mistake... but having lived in Oklahoma I'm fairly certain they will re-elect these two. Now that Kansas has gone batshit wacky, too, I'm looking for a place where sane people predominate, and mostly that doesn't seem to be between the Rocky Mountains and the Blue Ridge Mountains...

And let's not forget the same thing just happened to the south in Texas. Hypocrites.

I certainly hope that somehow when new schools are built, that somehow a design that incorporates access to an underground shelter from each classroom is done. Moore and other towns nearby were hit during the three days of tornados, including one of the most powerful recorded(EF5 with 318mph winds) in 1999 that whipped through.

Best regards,
John

John

Have we heard from any other OK forum members besides Justice?

I saw a program the other day about trying to create tornados on purpose and extract energy from them. That doesn't sound very practical, but I have had similar thoughts about extracting energy from the ocean surface heat that powers hurricane formation. (less major storms would be a good thing).

Tornados in the mid-west are powered by cool northwest air coming in over humid moisture laden gulf of Mexico air. I'll leave it to smarter people than me to harness tornados. We seem to be getting better at warning about them.

JR

We are one country. We take care of each other. FEMA is like a national insurance plan for unexpected disasters.
I don't see that as a political statement but rather the basic precept of a civilized nation.
Unfortunately, most people will need FEMA's assistance at some time in their life.
I will feel truly blessed if I can go through life never receiving from FEMA and will gladly pay my share of the "premium" to help others.

We are one country. We take care of each other. FEMA is like a national insurance plan for unexpected disasters.
I don't see that as a political statement but rather the basic precept of a civilized nation.
Unfortunately, most people will need FEMA's assistance at some time in their life.
I will feel truly blessed if I can go through life never receiving from FEMA and will gladly pay my share of the "premium" to help others.

You and me both, greedy people don't feel the same as us though!

We are one country. We take care of each other.

This is the ideal. How close we come to fulfilling it may be debated by many of the survivors of Katrina and Sandy.

Or closer to home, the folks over in North Minneapolis who are still waiting for the roofs to be put back on their houses two years after the tornado hit there......