Shelf on the side of my mixing desk flight case

Andy Turner

Freshman
Mar 31, 2016
Copenhagen, Denmark
I want to make or buy a shelf that will go on the side of my mixing desk flight case for my laptop.

I saw a solution some time ago based on a bracket-like thingie that would sit on the side of the flight case, - sliding over the aluminum extrusion.
Has anyone heard of this or can you help me find something like this. - (Yes I spend a good amount of time googling this with no luck)

Merry Christmas and Cheers - Andy

I took a shelf bracket, attached (to hold the laptop/iPad) a chunk of aluminum repurposed from another project, put some captive screws in two of the three bracket holes, drilled some holes through the side of a road case holding the rackmount mixer, put T nuts on the inside of the holes, and voila!

I don't have good pictures but will try to take some and post them in the next few days.

Here's a few pics of the aluminum shelf. The plywood one is the same principle but plywood and a skinny rectangular size (good for an iPad stand with a clamp holding one to the other).

DSC_0125.jpg

The first one shows the shelf bracket with a disc of aluminum plate screwed to it with flathead screws. You could also use pop rivets but I used this. It also shows the captive bolts that hold it in place.

The shelf bracket is just one from the hardware store that says it will hold 100 pounds, and I have used these for other purposes that actually did hold pretty close to that weight for a full summer, 24/7.

The aluminum disc is from another defunct project that happened to be the right size to hold a laptop. Because it's metal, it wicks away heat nicely.

The bolts are the M8's or -10's that came with Ramsa WSA-200's, plus some washers and tight plastic washers that hold the bolts in place. Net new cost for shelf: $0.

DSC_0127.jpg

This shows it in profile. There's two nuts on each bolt because the bolts are longer than they needed to be and I didn't saw off the extra, but I don't like bolt ends scraping on my hands. There are double the number of actual nuts visible because of reflections. Same with the diagonal brace.

The shelf part is spaced a few inches from the case because that's how it all fit together and this lets me have some space for hands or turn the laptop without jamming into the road case.

DSC_0129.jpg

Here it is loosely screwed into the T-Nuts that penetrate the side of the mixer rack case, and the mixer is visible on the left. In use the bolts would be screwed tight, and the eyes give a good hand-hold and make it easy to attach and detach. The case is one of the EWI three door ones for rackable mixers with faders.

Hope this gives you some ideas.