Shure FP15 and two SM93's or Rode Filmmaker kit, or something else? I'm completely lost.

Kiki Riki

Mar 5, 2019
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Hello everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster.

So, I do video. For the past few months I have been borrowing my friend's Sennheiser G3 and it's awesome. I don't want to buy Sennheiser though, because there are no Sennheiser stores in my area, since I'm not from the US.

Now, I decided to get myself a good set of lapel microphones.

My plan was to buy all of the following in a $800 budget:
  • Two Shure SM93 lavaliers
  • Shure FP15 kit
The SM93's come with an XLR adapter with a voltage regulator inside so it handles phantom power, which is important for long seated interviews (think 2-3 hours) which I plan on doing. You can disconnect the XLR adapter from the SM93, effectively turning it into a WL93 lav, basically the same thing as SM93, just TA4F terminated.

Now, I can plug that microphone directly into my camera with a TA4F to 3.5mm adapter, as it's specs support that, and I can also connect it to the FP15 kit, so that I have one of them working wirelessly, because I often have people talking and walking, and I'm always following them with a shotgun mic and the audio is ok, and I'd like to turn that to really good haha.

Rode Filmmaker kit seems really good so far, but I don't know if I can achieve the same things I need with Rode? Basically, summed up those things would be:

• The lavs must be XLR-pluggable
  • The lavs should have at least some way of being connected to a 3.5mm, but this isn't a huge need, just convinient
  • The lavs should be able to operate for a long period of time (3 hours, and I'd like that wired, not wireless. More control over environment that way and cheaper.
  • The lavs MUST have one way of being wirelessly connected to my recorder/camera, so that I can mic people who walk
There's also Sony and it's UWP-D11, but there are also no Sony stores in my area too, so it would be a bit of a hassle, but I'm open to all reccomendations.

I'm hesitiating about buying the FP15, because someone said this: "My wife is a wedding videographer and I bought her a set of these. She HATED them. Constant dropouts and static." So that got me really worried.

What would you guys buy?

Thank you for your time :)