Shure lavalier low volume

Robbie Bouchoms

Apr 7, 2022
The Netherlands
Hello :)

First my question:
My lavalier mic gives to low sound, I recorded it with Adobe Audition and I can max like -24dB, so far from 0.

Gear I use:
Shure PG4 (receiver)
Shure PG1 transmitter
Shure PG185 lavalier

So at the company I work for asked me to record some interviews. I'm familiar with videography, but don't know anything about recording voices. So we have a set Shure products. I managed to sync the transmitter with the receiver and record my voice with the lavalier. I've placed the lavalier on my shirt, just around the 3rd button from above. I've connected the PG4 (receiver) with a cable from "mic out" to aux, and I've plugged the aux into my laptop. I don't have any other device or cable.

Does anybody know the bottleneck? In the past (before I came to work here) they have used it and get decent quality sound out of the lavalier. But nobody gave me a manual so I need to figure it out by myself.

Thanks for helping! :D

Hi, and welcome.

The manual should be easy enough for you to find w Google, or by browsing Shure's own website.

I suspect that the PG4 is set to send it's output at about the same level as a typical wired mic, which usually gets connected to the preamp in a mixing desk before being sent on to any other part of the signal chain, be that a PA system or a recorder.

You haven't said what device your "aux" is on, but aux inputs on mixing desks, powered speakers etc are often set to expect the stronger "line" level signal that comes from the output of a mixing desk.

This would explain the level mismatch you're finding.

Once you find the manual (or by playing around with whatever control option the PG4 has), see if you can switch it's output to "line" level which should get you in the right ballpark.

EDIT PS - just checked the manual, it seems that you need to use the unbalanced 1/4" jack output of the receiver to get more level out of it, that is set 14dB higher than the XLR output.

EDIT PS 2: This: https://www.thomann.de/gb/pro_snake_15781.htm might be a suitable cable to go from that 1/4" output straight to the laptop, it that's what you're trying to do.

Last edited:
I've connected the PG4 (receiver) with a cable from "mic out" to aux, and I've plugged the aux into my laptop. I don't have any other device or cable.
Robbie,

The transmitter has sensitivity adjustments, -10 dBV maximum at "mic" gain position, +10 dBV maximum at 0dB gain position,+20 dBV maximum at -10dB gain position. If you don't have the transmitter set to "mic" gain, you may be loosing up to -30dBV level.

The audio LED Indicates strength of incoming audio signal: green for normal, amber for strong, red for peak. If the input is not strong enough to reach close to red, the output will not reach –5 dBV, typical for the 1/4 inch connector (into a 100 Ω load).
The XLR "mic out" is mic level, it will only reach –19 dBV. You can pick up 14 dB just by switching outputs, assuming the correct termination adapters are used.

If the sensitivity adjustment and line level out still don't provide enough gain, you may need a pre-amp.

Art

Robbie, try using the "Line Out" jack on the PGX4. You will need a 1/4" to 1/8" cable to connect from the receiver to the computer. That should give you more level. The "Mic Out" jack is only for use when you have a microphone preamplifier.