Shure SM7 B or Blue Yeti Pro/ Budget mixer with compressor

Dimitar Devinizov

Jan 5, 2019
Bulgaria

Max Warasila

Graduate
Feb 20, 2013
Richmond, VA
Better to get 2 channel USB recording interface like the Scarlett 2i2 and do compression in a digital audio editor like Audacity or within your video editing software.

The SM7B is a good microphone. I would personally recommend a large diaphragm condenser instead. My personal favorite is the AT4033, but that's entirely just my preference.

Tim McCulloch

Graduate Student
Jan 11, 2011
Wichita KS USA
Better to get 2 channel USB recording interface like the Scarlett 2i2 and do compression in a digital audio editor like Audacity or within your video editing software.

The SM7B is a good microphone. I would personally recommend a large diaphragm condenser instead. My personal favorite is the AT4033, but that's entirely just my preference.
A dozen years ago the AT4033 was the de facto LDC for single mic bluegrass. As it turns out the diaphragm isn't large (about 5/8 inch) and frankly they didn't sound any better than a lot of other other mics - a different flavor of average, if you will.

The original Rode NT-2 was vastly better, and the Shure KSM44 is almost exceptional in comparison. YMMV.

I still own a 4033a but haven't used it in 10 years.

@Dimitar - I think you'll like the SM-7.

Jeff Babcock

Senior
Jan 11, 2011
Ontario, Canada
jeffbabcock.org
SM7B is a good choice.
Pair it with a decent quality audio interface and then do all of your EQ, Compression, De-Essing etc in your editing software. I really like Blackmagic Davinci Resolve - it is very powerful and FREE. Along with being a great video editing app, it has powerful audio editing and you can add 3rd party VST audio plugins to it very easily.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/22/davinci-resolve-15-free-hollywood-video-editor-review/

Reactions: Max Warasila
Get a Proper interface to get your mic into your computer, for example Audient ID4, Audient has some really nice pre's and the SM7b needs a lot of gain. The Behringer mixer will be a disappointment with SM7.
Focusrite makes some nice interfaces as well.

Do your compression in post. As pointed out Davinci Resolve is a really awesome free software for audio and video editing. Any small 1 or 2 channel mixer with a built in compressor, with a USB interface, costing less than for example the Audient ID4 will be veeery disappointing, especially with an SM7b

Reactions: Jeff Babcock