Si Expression

Re: Si Expression

Mine has locked up on the last 2 shows with version 1.6 firmware. I've reseated the SD card internally on the main system board and loosely applied the factory installed tape.

I've noticed that the lockups -seem- to occur always when a parameter is being modified and the parameters pop-up screen appears on the LCD. I may not be related, but I have not had any lockups if I stay on the 'event log' screen throughout an entire show. This seems to disable these pop-ups showing the paramater changes. Needless to say this issue is now costing me business and upset clients. I'm uncomfortable taking this board out on shows anymore. My short-term fix has been to remove the SD card completely and just remember to save to a USB device every so often and hope I do not loose power.

After a lockup, I am sometimes able to get the board to respond by holding the power button down for a few seconds; but not hitting it again. Luckily the board does pass audio during these lockup events. I have had to pull power on the board a few times to regain control of the board. What is also interesting is after receiving an error 16, I am able to save and re-call scenes without issue.

At this point I'm not sure what to do this the board. It seems this may be a hardware issue with a very inexpensive SD card holder on the main system board being the culprit of this issue. I read something on Soundcraft's facebook page about removing the tape from the holder, but I am afraid of the card connections becoming even more intermittent - there is very little 'grab' to the SD card holder at all, and the card sildes out with very little force.

I'm hoping SC can resolve this issue, I've already invested in a custom road case; but I am very much questioning my decision to go with this system.

How many other people are having this issue? I am wondering if they have rev'ed the hardware with a different SD card holder? It seems not possible they can be touring the country selling these things if so many of them do not work.

For the folks who have not had any issues - what version of firmware are you running? Do you move your console around to each show or is it a fixed install?

expression3-fail1.jpg

thanks,

-nick

So unfortunately, in the last few days i have had 3 lock ups, running version 1.6, this is ridiculous now, i was doing great when i went to 1.4 and never had any problems. I cant believe soundcraft put this product out this way, highly considering selling it if a new update doesn't appear soon.

And to think i gave it such a great review in the interview Harmon did with me.

I have been having the same problems as Nick and have been working with my dealer to get a resolution. I received the following email today. Hopefully this fixes it for good. Can't go another church service and have it lock up again.

This is mandatory for all Expression Consoles…

This email is sent from www.soundcraft.com.
If this email does not display properly, click here to view the web version.
soundcraft_sb3.gif

June 2013

bg_header_si.jpg

SB0057: Si Expression V1.0 build 9

New Software for Si Expression

Si Expression V1.0 build 9 is a maintenance release aimed at improving the performance of Si Expression. This software provides no new features but is mandatory for Si Expression consoles.

Issues addressed in latest software

The latest software release addresses intermittent freezing issues occurring on some Si consoles. The result is an unresponsive console surface, and has now been fixed with a minor SD card update. The new software also addresses issues with Mini Stageboxes during show or cue recall.

Documentation Updates

There is no new documentation needed for the new software for Si Expression.

Where to get the Console Software Update

All console software updates are accessed from the appropriate product page of the Soundcraft web site: www.soundcraft.com.

To access the software downloads, go to www.soundcraft.com/downloads/software.aspx and select Si Expression.

Install Instructions for Si Expression

Follow the instructions in the 'README' notes included with the software package.

For a detailed video explaining how to update software and format the SD card of your Si Expression console, follow this link: Soundcraft - [Product Video]

If you experience any issues or problems with the upgrade please contact customer services on[email protected]

Best Regards
Soundcraft Studer Marketing

I haven't had any lock-ups yet but I also haven't updated to 1.6 yet either I'm still running at 1.4, I have been using my Expression 3 since April every weekend... I have two main concerns... One is heat... this puppy gets hot! its in a Calazone/Anvil ATA road case with a "Dog House", My other concern is making sure it gets clean power, I usually run power from the Amp rack thru a 100' extension cord to FOH since its the only thing that needs power besides my laptop and iPad... I have ran it outside in 90 degree weather for over 6 hours at a time and its been rock steady so far... knocking on wood !

RT @SoundcraftUK Si Expression V1.0 build 9 is available now from the Soundcraft website! Follow the link to the Si Expression... fb.me/2yyZOn50g

I'm having the same problems as Nick. Hopefully this will fix it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 4 Beta

wow, i just got my expression 3 today. it immediately started freezing. i went to the website and saw a software update for version 1 build 4. I followed all the instructions and updated the console only to have it freeze faster then before. starting to think i should have bought the behringer.

Hi, I just got my Expression 2 and tra lala, locked up 3 times in two hours. Downloaded the firmware update and guess what, fail. I called Soundcraft and Ben emailed me the update as it appeared I had a problem with the website. I also had to use a different USB stick formatted to FAT 32 as the USB 3 stick updated the faders but would not update the firmware. The old version was V0.9 build 0009 and the new is V1.0 build 0009. All the problems appear to be sorted and the desk (for the money) appears to be a dream come true. It has all fully assignable and re-callable pre-amps found on the higher end Vi desks, the Lexicon engines are very good and the "fader glow" really does help a lot in not losing track of where you are when using all those 14 mix outs. Overall, for the price point, I think Soundcraft may have upset a lot of people who bought the compact. Very highly recommended and there will of course be future firmware updates to iron out the little glitches that may manifest themselves over time. Anything of this complexity will have a few minor issues at first and that includes the X32. I am only glad that I didnt go down that route now, very happy with it.

Well I just spend about six hours at home with my new Expression 3. The first thing I did was upgrade the software to the latest verson. For the time being I will probably stick with the default settings. I'm tickled to death just to have 32 pre amps, 14 auxes and four really nice sounding channels of effects. I like the ability to connect directly to a router, even though I usually have a laptop with me anyway. The iPad app is not as nice as the Personus app, and it seemed a little finicky setting it up but I got it working. This will be my "out front" board for larger gigs where I run a snake and set up basically like an analog setup - without a couple hundred pounds of rack gear! For smaller gigs run remotely with my iPad, I"ll still use my Studio Live.

I've just been foolin' around with the basic functions and routing and haven't even had a chance to evaluate the "sound" or the EQ and Compressor/gates. I'll do that this weekend, under fire!

I'm considering one of these Expressions for a church install. Just wondering how to save presets. Is it the CUE List? Or is there some higher "preset" level?

Ideally I'd like to put an Admin lock on some of the presets so that no-one can save over them. (The Yamaha LS9 provides a pre-preset "lock" but anyone can un-lock then overwrite.)

Thanks,

I'm considering one of these Expressions for a church install. Just wondering how to save presets. Is it the CUE List? Or is there some higher "preset" level?

Ideally I'd like to put an Admin lock on some of the presets so that no-one can save over them. (The Yamaha LS9 provides a pre-preset "lock" but anyone can un-lock then overwrite.)

Thanks,

Michael,

I'll start by saying I upgraded to V9 firmware when I purchased the board and have never had an issue of any type, specifically there have been no lockups.

To answer you question, yes, there is a queue list which can be recalled and edited at any point during operation of the board. This means that the list can be edited, saved, selected during the show without problems. The board will not pause and sound is not interrupted.

The list can be made secure through the board security / password functions.

Here is a link to a Performer video showing the queue list and operation, which is virtually the same for all Soundcraft SI boards.

Soundcraft - [Support]

Has anyone had a problem with the new Soundcraft Expression, my Expression Si3 has been returned to the dealer after freezing 4 times while trying to sound check a band on it's very first outing,very embarassing,when i phoned the dealer he said oh not another one!:(~:-(~:sad:

Have you encountered the problem of A) a fader snapping down to infinity when switching between mixes/that move to infinity being global to every mix it's sent to in addition to the main L/R mix, or B) the inability to load a saved show file, either saved to a USB drive, or to the internal memory?

I need some advise, as this is the main board in the bar at my venue and it would be a great help to figure this out on my own, rather than send it in.

Thanks.

My Expression 2 has had issues from early on. It's not the whole console, just inputs 17-24 will lock up. I can't turn Phantom on or off on those (sometimes it locks them on, but mostly off) and while I can adjust the gain on those inputs, the preamps do not actually respond. It's definitely tied to the inputs because if those inputs are patched to other faders, they will still not respond, and if inputs 1-16 are patched to faders 17-24, those inputs will work normally.

Usually, a power cycle will clear it up, occasionally I'll have to do a hard reset/reformat of the SD card. Today, nothing works to clear it up. And, oddly enough, when I try to reformat the SD card, the console won't do it. I see the button darken when I press it, but there's no response from the console -- no confirmation screen, nothing.

I'm currently on software v1.5 build 8, but this has happened with every version of firmware.

I really want to like this board, it has so much going for it.

Did you buy it new?

Have you talked to Soundcraft or the dealer you bought it from?

If you have a problem that you've experienced through a number of firmware updates, the board may have an issue that requires service. I would make them make it right.

So I have a Compact 32 with the latest OS that has cue list problems, and when I change fader preferences I get the dreaded yellow triangle of mystery. They should have put a confused frowny face emoticon instead of the yellow triangle. I bought an SI Expression 3 for an install, I cleared the SD card loaded the latest OS and after about 5 minutes of setup I get the yellow triangle. I'm not sure if the function is impaired but it does impart a lack of confidence. I contacted Harman and they said to clear the SD, but it makes no difference. I guess I'll be trying the SD card replacement. What a hassle. I love the consoles when they behave...

I have a Soundcraft SI expression 1 and the issue I'm having right now is that every time I power on the board it completely resets all the faders, channels, EQ and basically returns it to a factory reset. The software is 1.5 Build 0008. I can't load a show, it seems to cancel itself halfway through. And in the event log it says "Error Importing Show (Error Code 8)". I tried reaching out to a couple different people and websites and I figure it's smart to just reach out to forums as well and see if anyone knows what the issue may be. A guy I called yesterday said he had never heard of this type of issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Two Expressions and Two Performers installed, no problems here. Mixed in a venue last night with two Expressions and no issues. If people have issues, go directly to Soundcraft. They are VERY responsive and provide excellent support.