Sidebar view of Group Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackerr

Junior
Jan 29, 2011
Is there a way to limit the discussions that come up in the sidebar to just the groups I belong to? I would like to not have the console discussions I am interested in pushed off the list by Rental Network discussions I'm not.

Mac

Re: Sidebar view of Group Discussions

Mac,

I just checked in the admin controls and there's no way I can see. I did set the sidebar to list discussions with new replies above discussions that were themselves new, maybe that will help a little. I'll have to go ask over on the vB boards to see if there's a workaround.

Mac,

I started this thread over at vBulletin support and they say I'd have to write some custom code to make that work. I'm not going to have time to look into that for maybe ever, I know PHP well enough but not vB's coding backend. I will ask over at vBulletin.org, the official modifications site, and see if maybe someone has already done it.

Mac,

After some back and forth at the vB modifications site it looks like there aren't the proper hooks in the vB backend to do this. Even if it might be possible to only show groups that the user is subscribed to, then users subscribed to no groups will see nothing. There is no ability to have this set on a user by user level. Since that sidebar is there largely to keep general users abreast of group discussion, unless they can come up with a way that just you can only see groups you're subscribed to it's not feasible.

I'll let you know if I find anything else out.

Those are great! Better to add this functionality than try and hack the sidebar display... We'll check those out on the test site and upgrade this site once we're sure they work right.

Status
Not open for further replies.