Simple wall or rack mount scene playback that speaks sACN and has buttons

Phil Graham

Honorary PhD
Mar 10, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Hey all,

I need a wall or rackmount controller that speaks sACN either directly or through a DMX -> sACN bridge. Application is for bringing old fluorescent fixtures currently on wall switches onto a DMX contactor system while still retaining the ability to control the fixtures via a push button.

A Cue Server 2 (http://www.interactive-online.com/pr...erver/overview) would work, but it is overkill in terms of cost and capability. Appreciate anyone's suggestions!

Last edited:
I agree that this would be a relatively straightforward thing to implement on a Raspberry Pi or similar device. While I know of a few devices that could do this, most are complete overkill for what you are looking to do.

What are you using for a contactor, and what's the rest of the lighting system?

I agree that this would be a relatively straightforward thing to implement on a Raspberry Pi or similar device. While I know of a few devices that could do this, most are complete overkill for what you are looking to do.

What are you using for a contactor, and what's the rest of the lighting system?

Rob,

Rest of lighting system is as follows:

Safety
LED bug eyes and exit signs

Ambient
Existing T12 in lensless troffers transitioned from wall switches to Lyntec DMX contactor
400 lux of Cree LR6 in their SC6-CM pendant on a Doug Fleenor low power dimmer

Theatrical
S4 Leko 575W conventionals front light
Misc Blizzard and Chauvet LED color changers and movers

Console
Jands Vista M1

Glue
DMXKing PoE sACN to DMX adapters

The goal here is to allow the ambient lighting to be driven by the console while still facilitating some simple wall panel presets that have priority over the console when it is not being used.

If this isn't yet installed, I'd strongly consider using a different contactor panel that supports dry-contact inputs (there are a few out there).

Otherwise, I'd probably look at using a Pharos LPC to do both the sACN-DMX conversion and the local control. But that's as overkill as the CueServer.

The crux of the issue here is that any local control device not integrated into the contactor panel will be a generic DMX or sACN playback device, as it can't take advantage of simply knowing that all it needs to do is trigger relays.

If this isn't yet installed, I'd strongly consider using a different contactor panel that supports dry-contact inputs (there are a few out there).

Rob,

The Lyntec has already been procured. It works with the existing panel footprint.

The original intent was to drive a universe from the console through a wall panel, then the lyntec and doug fleenor, and finally dmx breakout to ETC smartbars and LED fixtures.

re-architecting to sACN would facilitate a more flexible DMX distribution.