SM Pro Audio DI Dock

Ben Harris

Freshman
Jan 11, 2011
Lancaster, PA
As of recent I've been using this new gadget to interface my iPhone and iPod with my console. It's the DI Dock by SM Pro Audio. A stereo ''direct box'' of sorts that gives you direct access to the line outputs of your with Apple products via the dock connector. Construction wise, the unit is very solid. Rugged metal construction with significant knobs and switches. The unit also has a 1/8'' line input on the front for interfacing other audio playback devices. The top of the dock has the dock connector, a master volume knob, and a headphone volume knob. The back of the unit sports two male XLR connectors, both with their respective ground lift switches, and a 1/8'' line output. The level of the 1/8'' output on the rear of the dock is controlled by the headphone volume knob. The dock uses active components and can be powered by +48 phantom power, or via an included DC power supply. When connected to the external power supply, the DI Dock can be placed into charge mode which will charge the iDevice while it's sitting in the dock.

I've only used it a handful of times, but so far this has been a great unit. The quality of audio pulled from the line outputs of the connected device is significantly cleaner than what comes from the headphone jack. I am not sure on the differences between the two, aside from the fact that the signal coming from the headphone jack must be routed thru the internal amp circuitry. I would be curious to do some sort of analysis between the two signals(maybe I can get around to that someday). One thing I have noticed is that when the device is in charge mode, it introduces a good amount of noticeable noise to the outgoing signal. Some hiss and a low end ''warble''. When listened to at softer volumes, it not necessarily noticeable, but when listened to in headphones or at any substantial volume, the noise is apparent. For that reason, I simply leave charge mode turned off whenever playing music. I have yet to try the 1/8'' line input, so I can't speak to how that sounds. After I get more time with the unit, I'll report back and give some more thoughts.

Overall it's a very handy device that has good audio and build quality. I would recommend this unit to anyone who is looking for a iPod or iPhone playback device.
attachment.php

attachment.php