smaart A I/O

Jack Keaton

Sophomore
Dec 6, 2011
is there a list of A I/0 devices that work with smaart? I am either to dumb to find it or over looking it. also any (cheap side) recommendations.

Re: smaart A I/O

I use the USB pre for single channel measurements and a Motu 8 pre for multichannel measurements. Both work just fine.

Of course the moty does not work with anything other than V7 (that I am aware of-I could be wrong)

Hi Jack,

Here's a link you can check out:
Rational Acoustics

But really, any 2 or greater channel USB or firewire audio interface with an ASIO or Core Audio driver will work with Smaart. Many options available from Presonus, M-Audio, Tascam, Roland, Rational, Sound Devices, RME, Apogee to name a few.

Features/gotcha's that you should look for:
* 2 or more mic pre's with phantom power, with separate input level controls, separate line inputs with level controls a bonus
* At least 1 balanced output to feed into the system under test, and another output for external loopback
* You might find some incompatibilities with firewire chipsets and certain laptops, so make sure if you're going this route, you test it first!
* Some Avid/Pro Tools interfaces use proprietary drivers which Smaart is not able to access, check to make sure it will work
* You'll find that using 4 or more mics with live averaging is a real time saver, and well worth the few extra hundred dollars investment over a 2 channel interface
* If you're running Windows 7 64 bit, make sure the manufacturer has drivers that will work with the operating system

Hope this helps!

Arthur Skudra (Rational Instructor)

The Roland Octa-capture is working great for those heavy duty multi-point FFT sessions. My travel size 2 channel rig is the simple and affordable M-Audio Mobile Pre...

Thanks guys for the info, I am just getting into learning Smaart, Had a crappy lexicon that I thought would work to learn on. I was mistaken

I guess we should ask what version of Smaart and Computer you are using. If you are looking to just mess around and you have signal sources that you can send, your onboard sound card should translate the audio into 1 and 0's for viewing pleasures. Some older versions of Smaart don't play as well without a good sound card.

I use the USB pre for single channel measurements and a Motu 8 pre for multichannel measurements. Both work just fine.

Of course the moty does not work with anything other than V7 (that I am aware of-I could be wrong)

As you and I have discussed many times since v.6 was introduced and I asked around about multichannel interfaces, knew you had an 8pre and immediately bought one so I could use multimic with version 6. Yes it works. Yes it's like SIM not Smaart 7 only one mic at a time but it has all the switching and saves delay times etc. It was not an advertised feature but well known to anyone that wanted it.

A List is
Smaart I-O Plug and play mac and windows
Roland Octa-Pre Not sure of any limitations here
USB Pre The new one works with newer OS' while the old one works with older OS' but may work with newer OS' too YMMV
MOTU 8pre Works with all versions of Smaart, mac and windows Comes with ASIO, WAV, and CORE drivers.

The cheap way is to get a computer that has a stereo line input and use your FOH console to distribute the signals. It worked for years until most computes lost the line input.

I cannot recommend M Audio, Digidesign, Presonus (although that may have changed in the last couple years) Basically they all work flawlessly for some people. Others seem to have issues.

A List is
Smaart I-O Plug and play mac and windows
Roland Octa-Pre Not sure of any limitations here
USB Pre The new one works with newer OS' while the old one works with older OS' but may work with newer OS' too YMMV
MOTU 8pre Works with all versions of Smaart, mac and windows Comes with ASIO, WAV, and CORE drivers.

The cheap way is to get a computer that has a stereo line input and use your FOH console to distribute the signals. It worked for years until most computes lost the line input.

I cannot recommend M Audio, Digidesign, Presonus (although that may have changed in the last couple years) Basically they all work flawlessly for some people. Others seem to have issues.
you also can add the EDIROL/Roland UA-25 with updated driver to the list, had this for years without a glitsch :thumbup: