Sound absorbing panels

Jan 10, 2011
The city with big shoulders
This week's project, four panels each holding a 2'x 4'x2'' thick piece of Aurelex Studio Wedge foam.

Strips of Baltic Birch plywood, rabbet corner joints, and a dado all around at the 2'' dpeth point to fit a back panel of 1/4'' pegboard.

Still light enough that I should be able to just set a pair of wall anchors and screws for each panel, and use some picture frame wire to hang them where needed, when needed.

Still have a couple sheets of the foam left over to expand the collection at some point, we'll see what happens with these.

Best regards,

John

Re: Sound absorbing panels

Ah good old 2d hot-wire cut foam... I trust it is fire retardant (If commercial foam it should be).

I looked into making this back at PV for AMR division. The cool 3d stuff is ''convolved'' with a process where the foam is first squeezed by a pair of rollers with bumps on them, and then sliced in half while squeezed, so when it relaxes you get the 3d pattern.

The tooling for a custom pattern wasn't killer (IIRC maybe $20k), and profit margins were very good, but we didn't pursue the business, for several reasons.

The 2d stuff is too easy to make in low volume for anybody with access to a hot wire cutter so hard to have any competitive advantage.

JR

Yeah, it's real Aurelex stuff, which has the appropriate ratings.

I'm hoping to use them in a few places where we put live music at the Irish center. The noisey pub stages should benefit.

Best regards,

John

John, let me know how these work out. I have a pub that needs some treatment but do not want to hang curtains or drapes of any kind. They want something they can put up and take down as needed. These may be just the ticket. Keep us updated. Thanks.

Pat

I'm hoping to use them in a few places where we put live music at the Irish center. The noisey pub stages should benefit.

Best regards,

John

John, let me know how these work out. I have a pub that needs some treatment but do not want to hang curtains or drapes of any kind. They want something they can put up and take down as needed. These may be just the ticket. Keep us updated. Thanks.

Pat

No problem. I'm looking into a deeper version using this:

http://www.bondedlogic.com/ultratouch-cotton.htm

I figure to just cover the whole front and sides with a fire rated fabric, but 6'' thick insulation made from non itchy cotton. It works well.

A bit more DIY work, but should be more effective and with higher absorbption coeffecients than the 2'' Auralex foam, and less expense, although that will be partially negated by the cost of fabric.

Best regards,

John

A small coffeehouse we had a show at had 6-7 simiar panels handing behind the stage. All were on pulleys and hung from a wire rope so they could be slid back and forth as needed. It was an effective system.

If you want to take them down it may be worth mounting a picture rail rather than separate anchors.

Best regards,

John

Pat

No problem. I'm looking into a deeper version using this:

http://www.bondedlogic.com/ultratouch-cotton.htm

I figure to just cover the whole front and sides with a fire rated fabric, but 6'' thick insulation made from non itchy cotton. It works well.

A bit more DIY work, but should be more effective and with higher absorbption coeffecients than the 2'' Auralex foam, and less expense, although that will be partially negated by the cost of fabric.

Best regards,

John

Bonded cotton is the cat's meow in terms of acoustics.... I take 6 second gym's and make them sub 2 second gym's... NO amount of auralex can do that.

3 1/2'' is all you need, don't waste your time on the 5 1/2'' stuff.

It's also SUPER easy to make wall panels, just make a 3 1/2'' frame and wrap with GOM fabric.

James,

I agree with your point about the thickness of the Bonded Logic used for the application in the picture.

I have one added task that I feel the thicker version will help, and that is corner loading a couple of thick panels as bass traps on a stage as well as taming fuller bandwidth bouncing off the sidewalls and corners.

I also intend to try them in the back corners of the 650 seat theater space as bass traps to improve the tonal balance in the back under the balcony.

Best regards,

John

[A bit more DIY work, but should be more effective and with higher absorbption coeffecients than the 2'' Auralex foam, and less expense, although that will be partially negated by the cost of fabric.

Best regards,

John

On the acoustic panels we make and sell (2'' 6lb/ft fiberglass) the fire retardant covering costs more than the fiberglass material that does all the work
icon_rolleyes.gif

That is probably why so many people take a cheap/dangerous way out.
icon_sad.gif

A customer wants to make a few of these panels for his home studio. Any Canadian sources for acoustical foam? Do SF or Erikson carry it?

BJ