Soundcraft Stage boxes with Yamaha boards

Re: Soundcraft Stage boxes with Yamaha boards

Anyone used a Soundcraft Compact Stagebox with a Yamaha board, using any combination of ethersound or dante cards on either devices?
thks

The Soundcraft stageboxes are MADI, so you would need to use that protocol. Then you would have to use the Yamaha MY16-MD64 MADI card in the desk (one per 16 channels). In theory its possible, but there is no off the shelf solution for preamp control. How good are your programming skills?

The stage box I am talking about is the one that has option cards and there is an ethersound card option for tha stage box

The stage box I am talking about is the one that has option cards and there is an ethersound card option for tha stage box

What is the part number for that card? Searching the soundcraft pricing sheet (I am a dealer) "ethersound" is not present at all. Next to all of the expansions cards that they do offer it says "For use in Si Console Expansion Slot Only". Needless to say, I don't know why anyone would try this based on the lack of head amp control. It would be a deal breaker for me.

Anyone used a Soundcraft Compact Stagebox with a Yamaha board, using any combination of ethersound or dante cards on either devices?
thks

I was told by a Soundcraft rep that this is not possible due to the proprietary head amp control protocol embedded in their MADI stream. The Dante and Ethersound cards allows for transport of the audio but not control of the head amps.

What is the part number for that card? Searching the soundcraft pricing sheet (I am a dealer) "ethersound" is not present at all. Next to all of the expansions cards that they do offer it says "For use in Si Console Expansion Slot Only". Needless to say, I don't know why anyone would try this based on the lack of head amp control. It would be a deal breaker for me.

the card is not shown in soundcraft lists because is available thru Digigram,( http://www.soundcraft.com/products/vi-option-cards );
it is a VI card compatible with the COMPACT STAGEBOX, the card I have on the STAGEBOX is the cat5 Madi with 422 , so maybe the head amp controlling could be done thru it. My case is that I have several Yamaha boards and I am looking for the option to use the Soindcraft Stage box , if the ethersound of the yamaha protocol would not talk to the stagebox even with the ethersound option card on it I could swith to a Yamaha Madi card (bnc option) and use a madi coax to madi cat5 converter, what do you think?
DF

the card is not shown in soundcraft lists because is available thru Digigram,( http://www.soundcraft.com/products/vi-option-cards );
it is a VI card compatible with the COMPACT STAGEBOX, the card I have on the STAGEBOX is the cat5 Madi with 422 , so maybe the head amp controlling could be done thru it. My case is that I have several Yamaha boards and I am looking for the option to use the Soindcraft Stage box , if the ethersound of the yamaha protocol would not talk to the stagebox even with the ethersound option card on it I could swith to a Yamaha Madi card (bnc option) and use a madi coax to madi cat5 converter, what do you think?
DF

I think you'll end up with another 2-3ms of latency, maybe more. And that's IF you can get it to work at all. Neither kludge addresses the head amp control issue.

Why do you insist on using the Soundcraft stage boxes?

Reactions: Guy Graham

DF

You will not have any control of the mic pres with a Yamaha console, and you will need 2 MY16 cards to get all 32 channels of a compact stage box into the Yamaha. Because both Ethersound and Madi are equipment agnostic you should be able to get audio to flow, but the lack of control and the added complexity of setup argues against this kluge.

Yamaha consoles prior to the CL and QL series are not really suitable for digital snakes as we know them today.

Mac

I think you'll end up with another 2-3ms of latency, maybe more. And that's IF you can get it to work at all. Neither kludge addresses the head amp control issue.

Why do you insist on using the Soundcraft stage boxes?

few reasons

1. The soundcraft stage box has 8 analogue outputs plus 4 x AES outputs or 16 analogue outputs (wich makes it more flexible when I use my XTA) compared to yamaha's 168 stagebox that only has 8 analog outs
  2. The preamps on the soundcraft sound better.
  3. The soundcraft has redundant power supplies
  4. I already have the soundcraft SB and for my other yamaha boards i would need to get anoother 16x8 SB or Rio's ( which would be more expensive) , so getting option card for either end ( board or stagebox) would be cheapier than getting another SB

so getting option card for either end ( board or stagebox) would be cheapier than getting another SB
[/LIST]

As I've said many times before, "the wrong piece of gear at the right price is still the wrong piece of gear". Your plan is great, except for the part about it not working.

Having a stagebox that will pass audio but have no control is a step back from running an analog snake. This is a lot of figuring out for not very many channels.

Mac

As I've said many times before, "the wrong piece of gear at the right price is still the wrong piece of gear". Your plan is great, except for the part about it not working.

Having a stagebox that will pass audio but have no control is a step back from running an analog snake. This is a lot of figuring out for not very many channels.

Mac
Dear can you explain what exactly will happen when connecting sdcraft mini with Yamaha tf1 with my 64 card pls

Reactions: Tim McCulloch