SpeakerPower Torpedo SP1-4000 Plate Amp

Art Welter

Senior
Jan 11, 2011
Florida
Brian Oppegaard, President of SpeakerPower sent me one of his Torpedo SP1-4000 amps for evaluation. Brian spent 11 years as Director of Engineering at QSC Audio Products, Inc. and seven years in the same capacity at Renkus-Heinz before starting Speaker Power in 2002.

SpeakerPower has a wide variety of “plate” amps for use in powered speakers.
The SP-4000 is presently their most powerful amp, and the first amp in which the company makes every circuit board used.

http://www.speakerpower.net/

The amp is rated 4000W/2 ohm, 2400W/4, 1300W/8, it weighs only 7 lbs.
Front panel has one input, a balanced XLR input with a looping XLR output.
One detented volume control, two push switches, one selects full range response or a 30-80 Hz sub filter, the other a polarity reversal.
A Powercon locking AC input, and a Speakon locking looping speaker output complete the “user interface”. The internal speakers are connected with a latching polarized six pin connector.

The amp itself takes up very little internal volume in a speaker cabinet, and produces almost no heat, critical features for a powered speaker amplifier.

When compared to other amps, the lack of heat produced by the 90-95% efficient SP-4000 was striking. The cool operation also uses less power from the AC power service, very important when using the amp with marginal power. More power delivered to the speakers with less from the wall is not only green, but louder!

So how loud does it go, how does it sound ?

Sounds just like the signal going in, until the clip light goes on. Even after the clip light goes on, very little change in sound quality, the clip light is tied to a very fast limiter. Pushing the amp another 6 dB harder after the clip light illuminates, little harsh clipping sound was generated.
This could actually be a problem for some users who will crank the input until high average power smokes the speakers, since there is very little audible tell tale clipping sound.

The SP1-4000 has enough power to cause thermal compression with a pair of Eminence Lab 12 six ohm speakers in a matter of minutes using band limited pink noise run just up to clip. Speaker tests were done with both horn and bass reflex cabinets.
Pink noise has a crest factor of 12 dB, more than some heavy duty compressed dance music, users may exceed the average level of pink noise.
The amp did not heat up even with a nominal 1.5 ohm load, but the speakers sure did!
Without some external limiting to keep average power in check, the SP1-4000 does have enough juice to burn speakers in the 400-700 watt continuous range.

So the amp was able to make the Eminence Lab 12s and a 4015LF sound distressed when hit hard, what about “big gun” speakers?

Just about the time the amp arrived for evaluation I was testing new cabinet designs for the B&C BC18SW115-4, a four ohm 18 inch speaker that handles 1500 watts with around 15 mm Xmax.

I used the SP-4000 for much of the speaker testing, it was nice to not have a noisy fan blowing heat into the shop while the speaker was getting the equivalent power of a space heater.

The BC18SW115-4 speaker could probably take every watt the amp could produce without a strain, so from a “bullet proof” powered speaker application, the amp would be a good choice.
That said, for operators that wish to take advantage of the huge peak potential of the latest crop of super speakers, more power could be used.

Brian is working on an export/high mains voltage version of the SP1-4000 which will do 110 V in to 2 ohms, 6000 watts, using a buck regulator to reduce 180-240 VAC mains to a 190 VDC rail for the amplifier. The SP-4000 has a 170 VDC nominal rail.

Power of the high mains voltage version will be approximately 2000W/8, 4000W/4, 6000W/2. The 2 ohm number is tentative and depends on AC line voltage and quality.

This will also apply to the SP1-2400. At higher mains voltages it will do 2000W/8 4000W/4, but no 2 ohm rating.

Brian is also kicking around the idea of doing a 100-120VAC boost regulator version which will do the same numbers.

He asked me if people will pay the extra $100 or so for the higher power.
I can only answer for myself, if using speakers in the power range of the BC18SW115-4, definitely yes.

Having looked at trends in speakers and amps as they chase each other’s power ratings for almost four decades now, I think the new crop of speakers that can handle 1500 (real) watts and peaks of 3 to 6K will only grow larger, a super power plate amp will be welcome.

Using music and pink noise I tested the SP1-4000 against all the amps in house, a Crest CC2800, a Crest CA-9, an old Crown PSA 2 (weighs 8 times more than the SP-4000 !) and a QSC PLX-3602.

All the rack amps are capable of 4 ohm bridged mono operation, so a single four ohm load was used.

With music and pink noise into a BC18SW115-4 loaded bass reflex speaker, the Torpedo equaled the SPL output of the CA-9 and the PLX 3602 (though one 3602 died during testing) put out about 4 dB more than the PSA 2, and 5 dB more than the CC-2800.

Notably, when the SP1-4000 was loaded at two ohms, (one speaker and a dummy load) the speaker level only dropped by 1 dB.
None of the other amps could put out as much level as the SP-4000 driving two four ohm loads.
As it stands, the SP1-4000 is the highest power commercially available direct sale plate amp I know of.

Art Welter

Last edited:
Re: SpeakerPower Torpedo SP1-4000 Plate Amp

That would be cool if they teamed up with community for a kick ass sos powered box.

Community has a powered SOS box, the S series, but AFAIK it's never been released because they haven't gotten the final details sorted out, or something.

I know I saw the price list for it like two years ago, but never heard anything else. I don't think Community has a big enough portable market to even care, personally. Their money is in the install world.

PS- And 4kW into any SOS box would certainly be 'kick ass', and even 'launch cone' or 'burn coil'! :lol:

Community has a powered SOS box, the S series, but AFAIK it's never been released because they haven't gotten the final details sorted out, or something.

I know I saw the price list for it like two years ago, but never heard anything else. I don't think Community has a big enough portable market to even care, personally. Their money is in the install world.

PS- And 4kW into any SOS box would certainly be 'kick ass', and even 'launch cone' or 'burn coil'! :lol:

The SP1-4000 is rated 4000W/2 ohm, 2400W/4, 1300W/8, so even at 2 ohms that is about 1000 watts per cone, enough to "light up" most any top box !

A few days ago tried out the SP1-4000 on a pair of small 2x10" subs that I had built a while back.
I had previously used a Crest CC-2800 when listening to them, at clip the speakers sounded like they were at the end stops. I was rather dissapointed with the design, and had not listened to them for a while.

Turns out it was just the CC-2800 giving up, not the speakers. With the SP1-4000 driving them, got almost 6 dB more output, and the speakers sounded better (cleaner) 6 dB louder than the other amp did !

Art Welter

Last edited:

I understand the spi-4000 would be overkill. I was just thinking Community probably could benefit from a dedicated amp design outfit to collaborate on a project. Seems all the standard amp manufacturers have already jumped on the powered boxes.

Re: SpeakerPower Torpedo SP1-4000 Plate Amp (1 of 3)

I received a pair of Torpedo SP1-4000 amp modules from Brian at SpeakerPower almost 5 weeks ago and finally had some time to measure and listen to them driving my TH118's. They happen to be a perfect drop-in replacement for the NL4 panel that Danley installs on their TH115's and TH118's (maybe others) given that Danley has OEM'd SpeakerPower modules for their powered loudspeakers.

The first surprise I got when taking them out of the box was their weight - I measured only 6.5 lb each. Brian mentioned these modules are pretty much half a QSC PL380 power-wise, thus I was expecting approx. half the PL380's weight of 24 lb - turned out to be a quarter of the weight. No fans and a very low profile heat sink combined with that kind of weight and power rating made me wonder about how these things would handle themselves under high power continuous use.

Art did a good job covering the background behind these amps so I won't bother repeating stuff, I'll just do my thing. :)

Features:

Have you ever considered what it's like sitting down and trying to figure out how to please the largest possible market with a single production template? Back in the day before I knew about Radial, I designed, built and used several Jensen transformer based DI's. I seriously considered taking it to market and bought over $500 worth of switches and all kinds of gizmos to build the "ultimate-best-sounding-bulletproof-but-not-too-expensive" DI. I finished it and started shopping fabrication. "So buddy, you want to start with a small run of 500 at $200 each per enclosure, or drop the cost down to $50 each (where I can actually sell the thing) with a minimum run of 5,000?" That, folks, was the beginning and end of Soundscapes manufacturing. I lost a little under a grand with that idea. There are many, many who went further that would trade a functioning part of their anatomy to have only lost the time and money I did.

So, where am I going with this (other than probably breaking Bennett's wimpy 10k character limit on a post)? For one, the Radial DI's make me mad as stink they have so many SS's (stupid switches) on their Jensen transformer based DI's. Yeah, I've pulled off the caps to make doing something stupid like engaging the pad more difficult. Jensen DI transformers can handle +30dBu or more with almost all music signals BTW. Switches have a date only they know about that they'll go high impedance and make you look like a toad. I could go on, but suffice it to say I own a bunch of Radial DI's.

So what about the SP1-4000?

Front:

SP1-4000_Front.jpg

Back:

SP1-4000_Back.jpg

I'm probably not the average end user of something like this, I want a feature set more like what you see on the Meyer and EONA ADRaudio products, i.e. nothing you or a fair amount of rain can get into. Thus, the following comments are geared in that direction. My negatives may very well be your positives, but this is my review. :)

Stuff I like:

1. The LED's. Power, Clip (actually limit and clip), Protect, and Signal. The cool and unusual thing about signal LED is that it reads the voltage prior to the gain knob, so even if you have the thing turned all the way down, you can still get a feel for how hot the incoming signal is.

2. XL in/out are locking and gold plated. No matter what Ivan says, the latter doesn't improve the sound, just keeps it from degrading with time.

3. Neutrik PowerCon input. Neutrik rules planet connector.

4. No latency. The bandpass filter, polarity switch and gain potentiometer are in the analog domain.

5. Very powerful, very lightweight, very high efficiency, purpose made for LF power allowing normally unacceptable engineering compromises to work in our favor to reduce costs, required supply current and weight while increasing output.

6. The Molex type connector for powering the loudspeaker's internal driver(s) has dual negative and positive cables. This makes for easy dual-driver connections or doubles the copper feeding a single driver. I'd prefer a high current NL4 instead of the Molex, though it would probably make things too expensive.

7. Both Polarity and bandpass switches work without the need to power cycle the amp.

Stuff I don't like:

1. Power switch. Evil. If it's plugged in to power it should go unless it's broke. Period.

2. NL4 out instead of PowerCon loop out. This is an interesting idea, and I've found that this amp can drive a 2Ω load at full tilt until tomorrow. Still, it's just not workable for portable sound where consistency in hookup is key to everything working every time.

3. External circuit breaker. I'd like it to be internal and self-resetting once the load is corrected.

4. Gain knob. One more thing to go wrong, especially with time and (mis)handling. It has a nice strong detented feel that requires a proper amount of effort to adjust, on the other hand, the 1dB indications are only accurate through its middle range. Even if it were perfect, it doesn't need to be there - we live in a world with +20dBu max, +10dBu average drive levels when things are full-tilt. Adjust the amp gain where it's maxed out at these drive levels (32dB would be nice) and lose the knob.

5. The XL connectors are widely separated from the PowerCon connectors. Folks like me that use combined power/audio cabling for self amplified loudspeakers must then have large tails at the end of the cable for both types of connectors to reach their destinations. The XL terminated audio cable is somewhat fragile. Keeping it short is very important. Keep the connectors close and shield the internals as needed.

Stuff I want:

1. Fix the things above.

2. If it doesn't exist, get Neutrik to make a PowerCon that includes (4) pairs with shield of either Ethernet or (4) channels of audio. Readily available "active speaker" cable that combines power with twisted pair line-level audio works beautifully without a hint of audible crosstalk. How beautiful life would be to have everything included with a single PowerEtherCon!

3. Florida we-may-die rainstorm proof.

4. XL output programmable to loop through or processed signal out.

5. Ability to handle up to +28dBu levels without clipping analog input circuity with the stupid output circuity of many (most?) consoles.

6. I know this is bad, but I really need an amp module like this to take care of everything so that I can rent or cross-rent the sub with no instructions other than "plug it in, feed it a full range signal from your console and adjust delay (if you want to bother - she's only rock 'n roll) on your tops as needed.

7. The ability to use 208v to 240v as well as 120v. Dropping current use in half by doubling voltage is always a happy thing. Automatic switching is not necessary, but loved and appreciated.

That means I need a single channel of digital processing with a waterproof EtherCon connection on the panel for programming. I need delay up to 200ms for use with delay towers, polarity, a handful of parametric EQ's, high pass and low pass with the usual suspects for slopes, gain, amp clip limiter, separate RMS and peak limiters with adj. threshold, attack, release and ratio. Xilica offers OEM processing modules that would probably fit the bill nicely.

Listening:

This is a short section. The amp modules work extremely well. They are approximately as powerful as half a PL380 - possibly more so as impedance decreases, which seems to have been a competitive design goal. They don't get very hot at all with full-tilt music - actually it's weird how cool they run - they really don't seem to need a fan. Powering (2) 4Ω TH118's to the amp's max was fine on a single 20 amp circuit for about 3 minutes before tripping. From the sound of things, TH118's could have taken a bit more power, but not much. This is probably louder than you'd ever drive them if you had the right amount of rig for the gig™. Powering a single TH118 all day would have been no problem on a single 20 amp breaker.

Continued in part (2 of 3)

Last edited:
Re: SpeakerPower Torpedo SP1-4000 Plate Amp (2 of 3)

Measurements:

This wasn't such an easy set of measurements to make and Brian wisely and politely tries to dissuade end users from the attempt. My dad used to tell me I couldn't do certain things and I became quite good at several of them before I figured out his trick. :) This amp is bridged and requires complete isolation between input, output and power supply to measure without screwing up the results. It also emits a constant output in the post-100kHz region that isn't filtered nearly as much as an amp designed for HF reproduction. This is a very good engineering decision - it is a primary way to increase the efficiency of a class D amp. When making measurements that require high S/N such as for distortion or noise, a special (AES17 or similar) analog lowpass filter must be inserted prior to the A/D stage in one's test gear. Stuff like this isn't cheap and I'd rarely use it, thus the following measurements are made without same but are completely reliable because high S/N ratio wasn't needed.

Full range magnitude with phase. Gain with knob fully clockwise.

SP1-4000_Phase.png

Same with impulse response (IR). You'll notice a little HF "glitch" just before the main impulse. This probably would have been avoided with the AES17 filter.

SP1-4000_IR.png

Bandpass magnitude with phase, appears to be 20Hz 4th order BW highpass and 80Hz 4th order LR lowpass.

SP1-4000_BP_PH.png

Same with IR.

SP1-4000_BP_IR.png

Now for something interesting. These are nasty class D amplifiers, nasty that is unless you add expensive refinement -or- use them only in the LF, IMO. In that case they shine and are the future - at least for a while. One nasty thing they require for HF reproduction is less efficient, higher switching frequencies in addition to a large amount of output filtering. But if you're only going to power LF boxes you can use more efficient, lower switching frequencies and reduce filtering.

In the case of the SP1-4000, it has a constant 1v to 1.5v VHF output that varies in frequency somewhat due to load. To my knowledge, these frequencies are harmless to the virtual open-circuit impedance of a woofer's voicecoil. Open circuit means no sound or heat generated while lowering cost, increasing power and requiring less of the power supply - what's not to like?

Fluke 192C screenshots.

SP1-4000_Scope.png

Keele short term burst tests. Weird maybe, but comparable to the same tests performed on the following amps. See Amp Tests post for detail.

SP1-4000_BurstTable.png

Continued in part (3 of 3)

Last edited:
Re: SpeakerPower Torpedo SP1-4000 Plate Amp (3 of 3)

Got an idea today (remember the DI story - ideas can be dangerous) and got it done right before I set off for an 8 hour drive to Orlando for InfoComm. Typing this in the car - A/C is broke and it's 34 degrees Celsius outside even though dark - ugh. Someone else is driving. :)

For you chumps that still need to be delivered from Fahrenheit, this'll get you to the new-improved rest of your life: the Celsius #'s you need to know are 0, 20, 25, 37, 100. Respectively that's freezing, lower human comfort level, upper human comfort level, healthy human body temperature, boiling. There, now get with the program!

Meanwhile...

Don Keele developed a composite bass tone burst test stimulus that is flat from 30Hz to 80Hz and falls off sharper than any crossover slope you'll ever use above and below those frequencies. Crest factor of a single 200ms burst is 8.6dB, and with his 1 second pause between bursts, the overall crest factor becomes 15.4dB. It's very music-like and since it's made of the linear sum of 5 individual sine based tone bursts, distortion is easy to detect by ear or instrument once amps or woofers reach their limits.

With a sub that doesn't spec EQ such as the TH118's, you don't need to bother with a loudspeaker processor to perform this test and I didn't. This composite burst only covers the normal operating passband of the sub, thus I just played the stimulus straight into the SP1-4000 and PL380 and connected the output of the amp to both the sub and an oscilloscope. A microphone was not used in this test because I wanted to focus on the amp performance. This would in fact make an ideal sub shootout stimulus and provide a strong dose of objectivity to same. The test rig shown below is a what I used if you ignore the microphone. It's very easy to hear when something is clipping, thus the scope is just for verification and pretty pictures in this post.

KeeleBurstTestRig.png

My TH118's are 4Ω and use the lovely B&C drivers. Several interesting and unexpected results came from this test - such as one of my subs has either a driver or cabinet problem. Sounds like a baffle didn't get sealed properly during construction, but I'll find out through the 'ole process of elimination next week. Stay tuned.

Other items of interest are the peak voltage outputs of the SP1-4000 and PL380 into a complex load posing as "4Ω". You can do the math for peak watts, but it's deceptive - volts make SPL - watts heat the room. The PL380 proved very strong when bridged into a real loudspeaker that can handle it. I've never tried it bridged until today and it made a single TH118 go places I didn't know were possible with a 160 lb sub. I'm going to do peak acoustic measurements on these puppies pretty soon to put a number on what I heard. This is an outstanding sub.

Below you will see 4 traces. The top is from one of the few multitrack recording programs that does the math right on audio waveforms and shows Keele's actual composite tone burst stimulus. The middle left is the output of the SP1-4000 driven pretty far into limiting to get the maximum voltage readout on the scope. The TH118 was quite comfortable at this level, though you could hear the change in the waveform. The middle right is the PL380 in stereo mode also pretty far into limiting to get the maximum possible voltage readout. The TH118 was still comfortable and looking for more. The bottom trace is the output of the bridged PL380 where the TH118 finally said "enough" just as the amp LED's were beginning to kiss red. As you can see, both PL380 traces are nice replicas of the original trace, while I really went too far with the SP1-4000 looking for voltage and it shows a fair amount of what appears to be pre-ringing that obviously factored into the RMS calculation.

SP1-4000_TH118_Burst.png

The voltages of 294, 321 and 540 are "peak to peak". Divide each in half to arrive at "peak" voltage. Square the peak voltage, then divide that by 4 to get the nominal "peak watts". If that stuff doesn't mean much to you and you're only interested in how loud can the sub go and still sound good - you are wiser than you may think.

Last edited:

My TH118's are 4Ω and use the lovely B&C drivers. Several interesting and unexpected results came from this test - such as one of my subs has either a driver or cabinet problem. Sounds like a baffle didn't get sealed properly during construction, but I'll find out through the 'ole process of elimination next week. Stay tuned.

The PL380 proved very strong when bridged into a real loudspeaker that can handle it. I've never tried it bridged until today and it made a single TH118 go places I didn't know were possible with a 160 lb sub. I'm going to do peak acoustic measurements on these puppies pretty soon to put a number on what I heard. This is an outstanding sub.

Below you will see 4 traces. The top is from one of the few multitrack recording programs that does the math right on audio waveforms and shows Keele's actual composite tone burst stimulus. The middle left is the output of the SP1-4000 driven pretty far into limiting to get the maximum voltage readout on the scope. The TH118 was quite comfortable at this level, though you could hear the change in the waveform. The middle right is the PL380 in stereo mode also pretty far into limiting to get the maximum possible voltage readout. The TH118 was still comfortable and looking for more. The bottom trace is the output of the bridged PL380 where the TH118 finally said "enough" just as the amp LED's were beginning to kiss red. As you can see, both PL380 traces are nice replicas of the original trace, while I really went too far with the SP1-4000 looking for voltage and it shows a fair amount of what appears to be pre-ringing that obviously factored into the RMS calculation.

SP1-4000_TH118_Burst.png

The voltages of 294, 321 and 540 are "peak to peak". Divide each in half to arrive at "peak" voltage. Square the peak voltage, then divide that by 4 to get the nominal "peak watts". If that stuff doesn't mean much to you and you're only interested in how loud can the sub go and still sound good - you are wiser than you may think.
OK, I bit, 5402.25 Peak Watts for the SP1-4000, 6440 for the stereo PL380 and 18,225 for the bridged PL380.
Interesting the average for the SP1-4000 and stereo PL380 are almost identical. "Pre-ringing", or limiting?

You mentioned the "lovely B&C drivers" in your TH-118s, did you replace those 18 Sound drivers that you showed in the picture of your subs you sent me?

My testing of the SP1-4000 regarding rated power and actual speaker level output with music with various amplifiers was an eye opener, the SP1-4000 almost 5 dB louder than one amp rated for more power.

When you reviewed the FP14000, I asked whether the increased headroom actually translated into a similar peak output increase in the speakers, still waiting for that answer.
Will be very interested in the peak acoustic measurements on your TH-118s with various amps as well as the sensitivity results you said you'd be getting to soon last March 28 ;^).

Art

Last edited:

Hi all, I'm new to this forum.

I wonder why the impulse response plot taken from the SP1-4000 is 20ms longer than the input signal, has different attack envelope and contains 11 cycles instead of 10. I've tried to get the same result and for the moment the only way I found is by adding a 80Hz 24db/oct low-pass filter to the signal (the group delay results in an extra cycle). Otherwise, the impulse response looks much like the input signal and matches PL380 performance.

That's a reasonable hypothesis Eva, thank you. I may have accidentally had the bandpass filter engaged during the measurement. I'll retest next week when I get back if Brian can do without one of the modules for a bit longer.

Correction

It appears that I made two errors in the SP1-4000 scope measurement from the previous (3 of 3) post:

1. The bandpass filter was engaged.
2. The amp module itself has a problem* - the other one measures perfectly.

I should not have rushed things on my way out of town prior to posting. Not only was the data wrong, but it put a bad light on a very good product from a very smart guy that is busting his butt to do the same thing we're all doing - trying to run a viable business. I sincerely apologize and will not rush things again. If I make mistakes, it'll be on purpose or due to unhurried ignorance. :)

The first thing I thought would be interesting was to generate what should happen to Keele's composite stimulus using mathematically perfect filters generated in software as a reference. In the following screenshot, the first tone burst is unfiltered and the second is filtered.

SP1-4000_Composite_Burst_NoFilter_Filter.png

Maximum peak to peak voltage output of the SP1-4000 into a 4Ω TH118 load, bandpass filter bypassed:

SP1-4000_BP_Bypassed.png

Maximum peak to peak voltage output of the SP1-4000 into a 4Ω TH118 load, bandpass filter engaged:

SP1-4000_BP_Engaged.png

*Tried the "defective" amp today and it's fine. I think I needed to unplug it from power longer than I did yesterday (less than a minute) in order to clear the error.

Last edited:
Great Info - Thanks

Very Interesting thread,

I have a pair of TH-118s and you mentioned the following:

I received a pair of Torpedo SP1-4000 amp modules from Brian at SpeakerPower almost 5 weeks ago and finally had some time to measure and listen to them driving my TH118's. They happen to be a perfect drop-in replacement for the NL4 panel that Danley installs on their TH115's and TH118's

I have a couple of questions:

1) Can 1 SP1-4000 power 2 TH-1118s? or am I asking too much

2) How easy is the drop in replacement that you mention?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Re: Great Info - Thanks

Hi Fernando:

> 1) Can 1 SP1-4000 power 2 TH-1118s? or am I asking too much
>
> 2) How easy is the drop in replacement that you mention?

The SP1-4000 would be very comfortable with the 2Ω load presented by a pair of TH118's and in fact that's what the designer was thinking when he installed the NL4 output on the module. Under severe low frequency loads you may find the need to supply a bit more than 20 amps to the module when driving a nominal 2Ω load like this. The SP1-4000 will drive a single TH118 about 2dB shy of it's maximum rating on a single 20 amp breaker without issue. Driving (2) TH118's with a single SP1-4000 will drive each sub about 3dB shy of it's rating.

It couldn't be easier to make the replacement. As you mention, it is a drop-in affair. The only thing you have to do is remove the wires on the TH118's NL4 input jack and crimp them on the supplied molex connector's pins.

The connectors look similar to these.

Hi Fernando:

> 1) Can 1 SP1-4000 power 2 TH-1118s? or am I asking too much
>
> 2) How easy is the drop in replacement that you mention?

The SP1-4000 would be very comfortable with the 2Ω load presented by a pair of TH118's and in fact that's what the designer was thinking when he installed the NL4 output on the module. Under severe low frequency loads you may find the need to supply a bit more than 20 amps to the module when driving a nominal 2Ω load like this. The SP1-4000 will drive a single TH118 about 2dB shy of it's maximum rating on a single 20 amp breaker without issue. Driving (2) TH118's with a single SP1-4000 will drive each sub about 3dB shy of it's rating.

It couldn't be easier to make the replacement. As you mention, it is a drop-in affair. The only thing you have to do is remove the wires on the TH118's NL4 input jack and crimp them on the supplied molex connector's pins.

The connectors look similar to these.

Hi Langston thanks for your reply ( a little late!! )

Anyway I am rethinking the purchase of the sp1-4000 for my TH-118s

I know you tried it but it looks like you are not using it (from the last pics of your subs)

I only have 2 TH118s and it is a hassle to carry the amp rack. I would have no issue with the 20 amps as I would feed them a lot more from my power distro. The tops would be 4 RCF TT25s.

Now from reading the specs if I only get one torpedo I would run mono right?

Speakon locking looping speaker output.- this is from the specs and it is what I would use to power the second sub?

Features
· Balanced XLR input for superior hum and RF rejection. Looping XLR output. Precision detented volume control.
· Two settings front panel accessible to select full range response or 30-80Hz for sub. Polarity reversal switch.
· Powercon locking AC input
· Speakon locking looping speaker output.
· UL/CSA Listed. on most models

Fernando said:
Now from reading the specs if I only get one torpedo I would run mono right?

Correct. Each SP1-4000 amp module has a single channel.

Speakon locking looping speaker output.- this is from the specs and it is what I would use to power the second sub?

Correct. The NL4 output jack on the back of the SP1-4000 is parallel to the wiring on the inside of the amp module that connects to the driver.