SRX800P info from a JBL product manager

TJ Cornish

Graduate
Jan 13, 2011
St. Paul, MN
I put in a call to JBL about some questions regarding the SRX800P series. It was a very interesting call. Here are some high points:

- JBL considers the SRX800P series to be the "best product available at the high end of the consumer level" In other words, of the stuff you can buy without a dealer relationship, JBL believes this product is the best out there at its price point.

- The SRX800P series is measured in the same manner as previous boxes such as the SRX700 and STX800 series, therefore the spec sheets should be roughly comparable. In other words, the SRX800P series should outperform the prior SRX700 and STX800 series, as well as sound significantly better.

- Due to the lower price, higher performance, and better sound quality of the SRX800P series and future passive SRX800 series boxes, JBL expects them to be more popular and will ultimately probably replace the STX series.

- Though the listed amplifier power of the SRX800P series subs are 1000w/2000w and the power capacity of the STX800 series is 8000w, JBL says the amplifier in the SRX800P series was custom designed for the drivers in the subs, and is capable of fully driving them.

- JBL's definition of a "V5" tuning is a preset that is flat phase using FIR, plus LevelMax limiters. The SRX800P series has these features, and therefore is a "V5" box using the main/monitor/speech/etc presets. There is no additional functionality gained by using Performance Manager, and in fact Performance Manager does not currently support SRX800P. He thought it likely that they will eventually be supported, but they aren't now.

- LevelMax is a big deal. We didn't get too far into this discussion, but LevelMax is pretty intelligent and can do quite a bit of squishing while minimally affecting sound quality. In other words, don't worry about being into the limiters a bit.

I asked about the perceived early limiting/lower than expected SPL, and he stated that they were familiar with all of their competitor's boxes while designing the SRX800P series, and that they shouldn't underperform.

I am awaiting delivery of my SRX-812P boxes. I'm in a pretty good sized room next week and should be able to open them up and see what they do.

Re: SRX800P info from a JBL product manager

Local shop has a set here of the Double 18 subs, I was very impressed with the size! very compact for a double 18 inch powered sub....they were literally unboxing them so I didn't get a chance to listen yet but will try to sometime next week....

Re: SRX800P info from a JBL product manager

I'm stuck in shipping limbo - might not get my boxes in time for my upcoming show where I have both time and space to open them up. :(

I would also like to see a sub comparison, but am not ordering them, so that will have to be someone else's project.

Edit: My dealer came through. Boxes are in hand. Will crank them up this weekend.

Last edited: