Stage Monitors - Weak Output

Jack Karie

Freshman
May 1, 2017
I'm not much of a sound guru but would like to figure out what could possibly be causing our monitors to put out such low volume before beginning to distort.

We have 4 wedge monitors; Sunn 1275 (x2), Sunn 1272, and a Peavey TLM X5. We've never been able to get these loud enough to hear behind the stage over our instruments. I believe the Sunn 127x speakers are 100w (as labeled on the boxes) and the Peavey says 500w on it. The Peavey is by far the worst in volume output. Once turned up under very little output, they begin to distort and rattle. These are driven by a QSC 1450 power amp (700w on each channel, 2 channels @ 4ohms each). Each monitor is 16 ohms.

I tried each monitor at a time on a buddies baby sized 100w portable PA system with the same crappy, distorted sound at about 1/3rd volume. This tiny PA has little speakers that are 3x louder. So I don't know what's going on here. Are old speakers just weak when comparing to todays speakers?

I pulled one speaker out and bypassed the other components in the wedge box with the same sound result. I've pretty much came to the conclusion that these are worthless. Any info would be appreciated!

709d4ce95e5caf3f0127bfff968f435d.jpg
6c95e291330f9d912e29ae4835967152.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V

I'm not much of a sound guru but would like to figure out what could possibly be causing our monitors to put out such low volume before beginning to distort.

We have 4 wedge monitors; Sunn 1275 (x2), Sunn 1272, and a Peavey TLM X5. We've never been able to get these loud enough to hear behind the stage over our instruments. I believe the Sunn 127x speakers are 100w (as labeled on the boxes) and the Peavey says 500w on it. The Peavey is by far the worst in volume output. Once turned up under very little output, they begin to distort and rattle. These are driven by a QSC 1450 power amp (700w on each channel, 2 channels @ 4ohms each). Each monitor is 16 ohms.

I tried each monitor at a time on a buddies baby sized 100w portable PA system with the same crappy, distorted sound at about 1/3rd volume. This tiny PA has little speakers that are 3x louder. So I don't know what's going on here. Are old speakers just weak when comparing to todays speakers?

I pulled one speaker out and bypassed the other components in the wedge box with the same sound result. I've pretty much came to the conclusion that these are worthless. Any info would be appreciated!

709d4ce95e5caf3f0127bfff968f435d.jpg
6c95e291330f9d912e29ae4835967152.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V

You need to set your display name to your real first & last names. This is a pro forum so no hiding.

Well, they are not stellar speakers by today's standards but that said I have to ask, how loud is your stage volume?

Sent from my iPad HD

Username has been fixed!

A rundown of what we're using. This might explain our sound level a bit more.

Amp 1: QSC 2450 2 channel amp running 2 large subwoofers in parallel output mode. These are fairly loud.

Amp 2: QSC 1450 driving two Sunn SP1225 speakers in 2-channel mono output. Loud as well.

Amp 3: Peavey 1600(?) 1600w amp. This is a new addition. We may use this to drive monitors.

We do have to play loud enough to keep up with the volume of the drums. We mic the drums as well as the guitar amps. But due to the monitor issue it became a waste of effort to connect the additional microphones until resolved.

We only have used this sound system twice and it was a wreck. Generally we play in places that supply sound. A few weeks ago we took some time to set it up in my garage to find out what's wrong with it. The culprit was several broken cables and the sound snake. These are now fixed.

Everything is now functioning but I'm still scratching my head wondering why the monitors have such low output. Keep in mind that this equipment hasn't been used in ages and has been stored outside in our enclosed band trailer for a couple years.

Sent from my SM-G920V

We do have to play loud enough to keep up with the volume of the drums.

I think I found your problem....

The best thing you can ever do is figure out how to get the drums as quiet as possible. That's the first step in controlling stage volume!

----------

The speakers you have look to be in pretty rough shape. If they were sitting in storage, there's a good chance that there is corrosion built up inside the speakers, and they are in fact damaged. Of course, even in perfect condition, they weren't much to start with, so putting much effort into fixing them isn't a practical use of your time.