Strain relief nl2/ nl4

Jay Barracato

Graduate Student
Jan 11, 2011
Solomons MD
Since it is unlikely I am going to change any musicians behaviors, is there any way to improve the strain relief on the nl connectors. I am having a repeated problem with musicians pushing crap over top of the cables and pulling the wires out.

Sent from my XT1254

Re: Strain relief nl2/ nl4

Since it is unlikely I am going to change any musicians behaviors, is there any way to improve the strain relief on the nl connectors. I am having a repeated problem with musicians pushing crap over top of the cables and pulling the wires out.

Sent from my XT1254

The musicians are pushing things over your cables and causing damage (presumably by catching on the cable and pulling)? Sounds like you need better cable protection, or some musicians need to be billed for cable repair.

I'd be wary of improving the strain relief of the connectors - if you have the appropriate amount of outer jacket in the strain relief (you *did* follow the installation instructions including the amount of outer jacket to strip back, right? And you have the appropriate reduction bushing from Neutrik if your cables are less than 8m in diameter, right?), the strain relief works pretty well. Increasing the holding force of the strain relief simply transfers any force from the cable to other places in the system. This could be your amp rack, or could be your speakers. Improving the strain relief on an easily repaired cable could simply move the damage to a less easily repaired speaker input (e.g. broken connector or input plate) or amplifier rack.

My subs and low cabinets have handles. I always loop my cables through the handles. That way the weight of the cables aren't hanging on the connectors plus it will eliminate any chance of musicians or the public from damaging the connectors if they step if trip on the cables.

It depends on what damage is being done.

I know you are not "supposed" to solder the NL connectors-but I have found this the best way to keep the wires in.

The regular screw terminals just don[t hold up over time.

I put the BARE copper wire into the socket and tighten up as usual.

THEN solder the connection. DO NOT tine the connects before putting them in the sockets.

Be FAST and let it cool before another pin. Yes it is possible to melt the housing.