system processor for studio theatre

Jan 11, 2011
Tulsa, OK
www.justicebigler.com
I'm looking for a system processor to put in our small studio theatre. Mostly community theatre, acoustic music with maybe an announce mic, CD playback, etc... Seats about 100. Currently I have a pair of Meyer UP-Juniors hanging from the uni-strut grid. There is also a pair of old horn type speakers, probably Renkus-Heinz which will be going away at some point. I think I'd like to add an M1D sub at some point in the future. So I'm looking for something with 2 inputs, and 4 or 5 outputs.

This theatre doesn't rate a Galileo 408 or 616 like it's bigger brothers. And I'm not sure that even the dBX DriveRack 260 isn't too much for this space. I just need a basic matrix, 4 band EQ shaping and some kind of limiter to keep the community theatre folks from blowing up the speakers.

Recommendations?

Re: system processor for studio theatre

The sabine navigator can be ordered with mic pre's built in. It will also do all of the processing you need. The matrix mixer is available through the softwate.

Yes, the City frowns upon buying used gear. We're usually the people who supply other people's used gear after we've abused it to the point where we can't use it anymore
icon_razz.gif

So, yes, the DR 260 is basically a budget reference.

Yes, the City frowns upon buying used gear. We're usually the people who supply other people's used gear after we've abused it to the point where we can't use it anymore
icon_razz.gif

The BBE comes in at about 60% of the 260.......new. I cited the fact that he buys them used as an indication that they last long enough to actually please more than just the initial purchaser.

Justice,

I've liked the Xilica stuff, their cheap processor gives you three ins which makes the difference for me.

Isn't that the same software as the Sabine processor?

Xilica makes one of their higher end processors for Sabine, and I believe the software is different. I am talking about their budget level processor(s?).

I have the ''community'' labeled 4x8 one... and when I called for some help with the software... they quickly turned me over to Xilica for assistance. As far as I can tell, the only difference in my one, is that it only has RS-232 and the actual Xilica unit has an additional USB port on the front of the unit.

I have used the Sabine Navigators quite extensively as well, and they are almost identical... I have never tried the sabine FBX stuff, so I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes... but otherwise they respond identically to normal system processing tasks.

I'm not too sure how the pricing you guys gets varies, but BSS minidrives (334T I think) get you the BSS quality at a pricepoint and the Rane RPM 26z gives you tremendous processing capabilities and is designed as an install product which should help keep the pesky fingers out of the DSP. The BSS has decent lockout options but the buttons are still there if someone goes looking and trying.

Just throwing some other options out there.

The BBEs are used by several folks here in town. My beef with them is that there is no service before the sale - so one wonders if there is any service after the sale.

My only beef with the RPM stuff is that nothing is stereo linkable (there is a stereo comp though). And the software takes some getting used to (the ''manual'' is spread out over several documents - but their support via telephone is very fast and friendly). Too bad used is out for you, as these sometimes go very cheap on ebay - especially the 8x8 model.

I had one of the big BBE's in my monitor rack for the as needed stuff. It did the job but had its limitations. Never crapped out or anything but it was purely supplemental as I had crown XTI's and it was left over from a planned B rig. I sold it on ebay after I got the K12's and got rid of most of the stuff in that rack.

The one thing I remember is that when it gets to it's limits it starts to sound shitty, but it sounds like you won't be pushing it that hard.

If you can afford the xilica or sabine units they might be better for you in the long run. Having 3 inputs would also be a good thing if you're planning on adding a sub.