Tablets

Steve Ferreira

Sophomore
Jan 12, 2011
Toronto, Canada
I have been holding off on the tablets since I couldn't really decide on what I wanted to get. Having a BB I thought I would get the Playbook, sync to my phone and have flash to browse. Then I thought of an Ipad2 for Rta, SM, related audio apps and games to be quite honest. But now the Galaxy tab has caught my eye. It runs Honeycomb, apps, cad drawings.....
I can't make up my mind anymore.

What tablets are you guys using and why? Please don't turn this into a bashing of a certain product, just looking for info to maybe push me in the right direction.

Re: Tablets

I have an HP TC1100, used it once live for studio manager, and now it sits un-used. I bought it to be a mobile pc, ring out mons etc...but then ipad came along, and the rest is history... using the app for ls-9 - haven't looked back. I used it at home for surfing, email, the works - I don't even open a laptop except to program L jockey.

Same here, I have an old HP laptop for running Studio Manager for the 01v96, then bought a tablet, then an LS9, then HAD to have an ipad...
The ipad app StageMix is great. Hardly use the laptop except for lighting, and occasionally use the tablet still when the 01V goes out. Not an apple fanboy by a long shot, but I really like the ipad. Hopefully Yamaha keeps expanding StageMix.

another ipad user. Love stagemix, also use it for the lighting board (ETC Element), handfull of audio/stage related apps, preshow music, and angry birds while we wait.....

I recently picked up a used Motion Computing LE1700 from ebay. It arrived as described and after doing the work I planned to do to it, I got it up and running. I've been using it as my main PC ever since. I have a docking station that I leave it in to charge, but when it comes to Facebook, and doing real "work" related stuff, I'm right at home in the standard windows environment. Yes, I do have to use the attached stylus, but it works very well and it was very cost effective. Much higher resolution screen than the iPad, and it is 12" instead of 10". The thing I like the most is that I don't have to use "Apps" to do my work, I can use the actual program.

Running pretty much all of the above .... iPad, Motion 1600, Asus Netbook, IBM/Lenovo Laptop. All have thier strengths.

iPad for impromtu show/tour video/gaming/Documents/M7 control during setup/movies/etc.
1600 for [vnc] wireless smaart, dsp control, heavier work on a tablet surface
T61 for smaart, recording, office work, and everything else

The net book I use hidden in a M7 doghouse just to use a blue tooth keyboard for entering in channel names on festival stages.