Telefunken M80

I recently received, courtesy of Bennett and the good people of Telefunken, a package of 3 M80 dynamic handheld microphones. I'll do a quick review of my findings compared to my staple vox mic, the venerable SM58.

I received these the day before a mid-sized community festival that I was covering for another forum member. I'll omit his name for privacy, but he had also had some experience with the M80's. His comments were that it was a pretty nice vocal mic, stable in the wedges, but didn't seem to have any rhyme or reason as to which voices it did or didn't work well on.

I took them literally fresh out of the package at the festival site, and threw one up on stage for the center vocal, with SM58's flanking it for backing vocals. The music at this event was sort of background noise, so I was able to take some liberties as to the mic choice. I was using one of my smaller proprietary systems which I am very familiar with the sound quality of.

I began by ringing out the wedges. The mic was plenty stable and seemed to be a little more forgiving than a 58 in regards to placement for maximum feedback rejection. I ended up cutting about the same amount out of the EQ as I did with the 58's, albeit at different frequencies. Otherwise I would say it was about the same as a 58 in regards to GBF. It sounded pretty natural with my voice in the wedges.

The first band to use it as a vocal mic, I immediately had to jump on the EQ for. It was a male reggae singer and I ended up having to cut quite a bit in the 400hz range out of the mic. His voice sounded kind of "boxy" through it. The second act was a singer-songwriter with a very soft raspy voice. I was able to give him plenty in the monitors, and the M80 seemed to have a nice clear sounding high end on his voice.

I also gave the M80 a whirl one night on kick drum at a gospel festival just to abuse it a bit and test it's versatility. It seemed to work reasonably well, not a lot of low end response, but with some EQ it was workable. It sounded pretty flat on kick, not a lot of hyped 3-4K like many kick mics can have, which worked well for the kick sound I was trying to achieve.

The actual construction of the mic is a place I received a few comments. It has a shiny chrome grill which one of my techs commented as being a bit over the top, he thought it actually made it look kind of cheap. I think a matte finish grill would be a nice option. Another tech noticed the rubber-like finish the mic has on it and wondered how well that would hold up with time. I noticed that you have to push fairly hard to get a neutrik XLR connector to click and lock in. If you have a Roger Daltrey on your hands, double check that connection before some audience member leaves in an ambulance, lol.

I went ahead and sent the mics on to Cole Lofink who offered to give them a whirl. I thought they were good mics, but didn't fit my company's needs appropriately. I think if I were a BE who worked with one voice consistently I could grow to like this mic, but I felt like for the price, it was not versatile enough to buy a large stock of for festival work.

My gut instinct tells me the reason I don't like this mic is because it doesn't seem to posses any characteristics that make it specifically good for one application. I think we tend to favor a mic because it brings out a particular characteristic of a source that really defines what it should sound like. A Sennheiser might bring out a pronounced smooth midrange that gets vocals through a rock mix, a Neumann might capture the nuances of a folk singer. I just didn't hear anything that made the M80 unique to my ears.

On a sidenote though, I believe I saw one in use for a guest vocal on Jimmy Fallon the other night.

Pros-
Good defined high end
Stable in wedges
seems fairly rugged
good build quality / machining / finish

Cons-
Inconsistent between different vocalists
Priced higher than most comparable mics

Re: Telefunken M80

i have found this mic to sound surprisingly good on snare drum

A huge +1 to that. It is my favorite snare mic, though it can be a bit large and awkward to place.

I would say, even though Green Day and other big bands are using them, that the M80 has no place in rock music, or at least, rock music where loud monitors are expected. Of course, Green Day and the others are on ears, to it doesn't matter for them.

The M80 is absolutely fantastic for acoustic and Folk music where the sources are quieter and more dynamic, and where insane monitor levels aren't required. I'd say overall that the M80 has a lot more condenser properties than the usual dynamic mic, which is both good and bad. While it doesn't have as much GBF or wash rejection as my go-to OM series, it sounds a lot better in most cases.

Edit: My two M80s came directly from Telefunken and are not part of the test drive - this might be better off in the Product Reviews section. My apologies for the mistake.

Tom,

Your impression also matches mine. I felt that this was a better than average mic choice on some specific cases, but those cases were few enough that I didn't feel it was a worthwhile addition to my mic locker.

I found the upper end of the response overly hyped for my tastes, but if you can smooth that out with eq, the proximity effect bump is not as pronounced as many other dynamics.

I found the upper end of the response overly hyped for my tastes, but if you can smooth that out with eq, the proximity effect bump is not as pronounced as many other dynamics.

Unless you have an artist who loves that, in which case it's the perfect mic. Trust me, it is possible to get the M80 fucking unbelievably screaming loud, like four wedges in front, two behind, and rock and roll sidefills going all at the same time loud, in the monitors if you want to.

07-21-live-southside-johnny-02-mike-black.jpg

Reactions: David Karol

... Trust me, it is possible to get the M80 fucking unbelievably screaming loud, like four wedges in front, two behind, and rock and roll sidefills going all at the same time loud, in the monitors if you want to.

View attachment 1865

That wasn't my impression, but I don't even remember the circumstances where I decided that. I'll try it again when I get mine back.

Telefunken M80

I got the M80s from Tom, but haven't had a chance to use them yet. However starting tomorrow I have 10+ shows in the next 2 weeks so they'll get some use. I'll report back on my findings soon. The gigs I'm out on are with two other forum members so hopefully we will get some insight from them as well.

Did any body ever do a shootout between the M80 and a Beyer 201 on snare? The 201 is my "go to" snare mic at the moment because of it's hyper pattern. Tom or Cole, I'm sure Evan would let you borrow his 201 for a shoot out

Just based on the size of the M80 I don't think it would make a good snare mic. It's a little bigger then a 58 and wouldn't fit right on a crowded kit. Plus there's already so many good snare mics out there I don't know if the world needs another.

I'm a well documented, die hard PR35 fan, but a singer showed up on my stage at Newport Folk last weekend with an M80. At first he said he would just go with the 58's I had across the front, but I told him that if he was comfortable with the M80, we should use it. I had no trouble getting it loud in his mix. I suppose this would be folk loud, which is about 3 db over my starting place for a "rock" band. I listened to it in the cue and found it better than a 58 but not really to my liking. I found the presence peak to be artificial sounding.

I would add that I tune monitors like I tune house - "flat" response with music and SpectraFoo. I'm not interested in tuning to a 58, or whatever the lead vocal mic is, and not worrying about how the instruments sound in the mix. I cue up each input in headphones and eq it,as I would if mixing house. This makes using several vocal mic models easier.

Unless you have an artist who loves that, in which case it's the perfect mic. Trust me, it is possible to get the M80 fucking unbelievably screaming loud, like four wedges in front, two behind, and rock and roll sidefills going all at the same time loud, in the monitors if you want to.

View attachment 1865

Hey that's "MY" artist! He had been on a 58 literally since the 70s. After a particularly difficult show (all SSJ shows are difficult regardless!) I convinced him to try the M80, and there has been no turning back. The high end does sizzle, but is completely manageable with minor EQ adjustments and nowhere near as much work as KMS on a loud stage, and the low mid (80 to 250) can be hit hard on deck without turning to muck like most vocal mics. (John likes to FEEL his chest resonance in the outer wedges)

Good:
Overall gain before feedback
"Fullness" without mush
Makes artist feel special with chrome grill.
Telefunken happy to give them out like candy to touring artists playing for 2k to 10k people (or more) at most gigs.
"Telefunken" name is easy sell to an experienced artist.

In between:
Have used them as "go to mics" with mixed results. As others have alluded to (Tom was talking about my conversation with him at a gig that I hired him for), they can be brilliant or bad on any given vocalist, with no real rhyme or reason. It's definitely not a go to mic, but rather a tool in the arsenal to try out when you are in rehearsals or have time to swap it out.

Not so good:
Breaks easier than a 58. More durable than a condenser as you would expect, but John likes to toss mics around- sometimes even at me, and a good hit to the deck can render an M80 inoperable. I haven't dissected a dead one to see what went wrong, but cursory examinations have shown all leads still connected and no obvious problem, so my guess is that the transformer and or capsule do not like hard hits. Not so much a problem for me, as we always have a spare out and a regularly refreshed supply of new mics, but if you are a weekend warrior without a deal....

The larger diameter body does not fit a standard clip. Audix clips work, as do some aftermarket offerings, but don't expect to show up to a bar gig and get it into a standard size clip. Carry spares!

In between:
Have used them as "go to mics" with mixed results. As others have alluded to (Tom was talking about my conversation with him at a gig that I hired him for), they can be brilliant or bad on any given vocalist, with no real rhyme or reason. It's definitely not a go to mic, but rather a tool in the arsenal to try out when you are in rehearsals or have time to swap it out.

My sennements per exactly. I've been using the one M-80 I bought about 1 1/2 years ago extensive since then... with mixed results... some really good and some "eh".

If your in the Philly area come out, say hi and check out the M80. I’ll be using the M80 as my primary vocal mic for the next few shows.

10/19 TONIGHT Trocadero Theater Philadelphia, PA
10/20 Noon artist showcase Camden, NJ (PM for details)
10/23 7pm-11pm Camden, NJ (PM for details)
10/25 Noon artist showcase Camden, NJ (PM for details)

Also I have a detailed review for this mic coming soon!

I’ve been using the M80 on and off for the last couple of months. As much as I've been trying to avoid over stating others opinions here, I’m going to have too.

Wednesdays gig I was BE for a band I work with occasionally. This venue is a small club in Philly that I’ve mixed in before. The venue is a loud rock club, the primary mics used are SM58s and SM57s. Stage volume is always an issue, even with corporative bands.

I brought my own mic package as usual.
K- Audix D6
SN- Shure Beta57
HH- SM81
RK- Audix D2
FLR- Audix D6
BASS – JDI
GTR – SM57
KEY top –J48
KEY btm –J48
Vox – Telefunken M80 (Audix OM7 as spare)
Vox Lead – Telefunken M80 (Audix OM7 as spare)

As soon as the set started I went to battle with the graphic to keep the system from feeding back. Within a minute or so I was able to get the vocals on top of the mix, but I was till struggling to get them to cut through nicely. I soloed the vocal channels in my cans, and all I could here were cymbals and a bit of vocals. By the middle of the second song my EQ section looked like the war zone that had just happed. That’s when I made the call to switch out my mics to OM7s. I increased my channel gain by about 20% and noticed an immediate difference. I slowly started to bring back some of the dramatic cuts I made earlier in the system, and had the vocals cutting through like a hot knife through butter. By switching mics I was able to get the house and monitors a bit louder, and by using much less EQ, and therefore resulting in a much better overall mix.

Conclusion: The Telefunken M80 is not the mic of choice for really loud stages.

Thursdays gig was a small outdoor stage, where stage volume was not an issue. The group was a small touring act called “The Billies's”. We provided PA and I mixed the group. On their rider they requested SM58s. Before the show I spoke with them about the Telefunken M80s. I asked if they wanted to give them a chance during sound check. They immedeititly fell in love with the mics. Craig Smith the group’s percussion and vocals made the comment “It’s amazing how sensitive these mics are, I can hear parts of my voice that I’m not use to hearing”. We ended up using them for the show, and I was quite satisfied with the results.

Craig’s vocal sounded excellent. I used a HPF at 160Hz and had a small EQ cut at 250Hz. Chrisie the female lead and acoustic guitarist sounded pretty decent through the M80. What I mean by pretty decent is that the M80 sounded as good as say a 58 but either mic would NOT have been the best choice for her voice. Her jazzy folk rock style would have benefit much more from the Beta 87A in my mic inventory.

Conclusion: The Telefunken M80 can be the perfect choice for certin vocals. However much like the SM58 it is NOT the BEST choice for all vocals.

Sundays gig comes along and yet another loud stage to battle. I made the decision ahead of time to not use the Telefunken M80 as my primary vox mic. Instead I went with my current mic of choice for rock/punk, Audix OM7s. I ended up using the Telefunken M80 on snare.

Some notes on the Telefunken M80 as snare mic;
- The mic is heavy and unless you have really good/heavy stands, its going to pull them over or down.
-The mic is much bigger the an I5 or SM57 thus making it impractical to clip directly onto the drum.
+ It sounds pretty good, not any better/worse then Beta 57 I’m use to on snare.
+ Drummers like shinny things so anything with some “bling” like the M80s grill is a welcome addition to their kit.
+ The grill is SUPER tough and can take a stick hit like a champ.

Conclusion: Although good sounding, The Telefunken M80s size and weight make it a less then ideal snare mic.

On a side note:
Two of the four bands were carrying there own mic packages. One band had mostly EV mics, and were using EV PL80s on all 4 of their vocals. The whole set all I could think about was WOW these mics sound fantastic. They cut through the mix nicely, had clean well defined low-end, and had great gain before feedback!

Scott,
If recall from September when we were working with REBA, her engineer was using an M80 for the main backing vocal (SR Piano VOX). I though it sounded pretty good on her voice. I would say this might have been a case of right mic for the voice. Either way I defiantly don’t see this mic ending up in your, mine, or Bills mic kits. It just doesn’t seem to be the right tool for regional work.