Terrible Show/Great Show

Jan 12, 2011
Detroit area
Hello,

Saw Spyro Gyra and Fourplay's Show a couple of days ago.

Spyro was the warm-up act, and they were "rusty", not like I remembered them from the past... and well, not all of the musicians played so badly.... The Sax player and Drummer were really good, they played with enthusiasm, keeping time, with the Sax player hitting the notes. The Bass player was decent, although, he fumbled through a few songs. His Bass "solo" "was a No-No" ... should skipped it all together.
The worst .... Keyboards and Guitarist. The Keyboardist couldn't seem to master the "touch sensitivity" of his boards, along with his hittin' klinkers ... and the guitarist... shoulda just taken a seat.

Then... Fourplay. All truly spectacular Musicians. They played as one group, and off of each other, not just some musicians. Nothing negative stood out, that I observed.
The crowd loved them, Three standing ovations, with one lasting at least 3 minutes. This Bass player also played a solo, had the whole crowd standing stomping their feet to absent beat of the kick drum. The guitar player gave a World Class flamico type performance during one song... exquisite.

If you get a chance to attend a performance of Fourplay's...don't miss it.

Cheers,
Hammer

Re: Terrible Show/Great Show

I saw Blues Traveler with Robert Cray opening a few years back. It was a similar situation but in reverse. Cray and Co. were tight, tasteful, and super fun to see. Blues traveler was an overdose of everything. Keyboard player had nine keyboards onstage. Bass guitar was a 7 string, drum kit was about 35 pieces, etc. Even with all that stuff (or maybe partly because of it), the show was a joke compared to the opener.

Glad you eventually got the good stuff.

Re: Terrible Show/Great Show

I guess every professional has some off nights. A couple of years ago Cray was pretty mediocre as a headliner and Keb Mo was sterling as the opener.