The BIG QW System

Jan 14, 2011
Laurel, MS
myspace.com
Has anyone on here ever used/heard/owned the big 4-way Peavey QW system with 6 QW1's, 6 QW215's, and 8 QW218's? I've only worked with QW4's, QW2's, and QW218's on smaller systems. I may have a chance to buy such a rig for a good deal and I wanted to know how it compared to EAW KF (all riders and snobbery aside please). Thanks! :)

Re: The BIG QW System

Has anyone on here ever used/heard/owned the big 4-way Peavey QW system with 6 QW1's, 6 QW215's, and 8 QW218's? I've only worked with QW4's, QW2's, and QW218's on smaller systems. I may have a chance to buy such a rig for a good deal and I wanted to know how it compared to EAW KF (all riders and snobbery aside please). Thanks! :)

Which KF model?

They would have to be stunningly cheap. We've been buying KF850EF for <$1500 each.

Which KF model?

They would have to be stunningly cheap. We've been buying KF850EF for <$1500 each.

KF850/SB850

Around $600-$800 range a piece. I ran across a document, I assume from Peavey, a while back that lists the specs of this system: Main FOH System Gain: +47.4 dB
Max SPL: >148 dBa >111 dBc @ 164 Ft

Here is a pic that was posted in the Peavey Forum a while back of a demo system setup:

Attachments

• QWsystempic - Copy.jpg
    QWsystempic - Copy.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 2

The QW218's were respectable, I powered mine with a macrotech 5000 and it worked great.

Biggest piece of advice is to spraypaint the grills with some flat black rust oleum professional. It looks way better that way. I also added 4" Colson casters to the back of mine and it made them very easy to move around. A little grill foam and you would have a pretty pro looking rig.

I've mixed on the QW1's. 2 QW1's with a dual 15 between them and 3 218's per side. It worked well. The horn outran the low mids when you really started to lay into them, but they held their own for the 700 seat auditorium I was in. The subs are a great bang for the buck. I too owned a pair powered with an MA5k, and they always got the job done. Agree with Tom on painting the grills though.

Evan

Biggest issue with the QW218 IMO is the lack of usable handles. NONE on the ends, really, c'mon, man.... Black paint for the grills and some wheels, easy. Adding handles, not as easy. Still the best bang for the buck, and they go four wide in a truck.

Can't really add to having experiance with a larger QW system, but I will add to the others that mention changing the look of the cabs!
I have the QW3 cabs and they sound fantastic, hated the look of them.
Had some grills made at Reliable Hardware Company - Home and added the backing foam.
Now they have a real *pro* look to them....and nobody knows what they are so they can hear with there ears, not there eyes.
Here are the QW3's on top of my Yorkville TX9 subs.
DSC04045.jpg

I've already got 8 Versarray 218's that I would be using with the QW1's and QW215's. Mainly what I wanted to know is if anybody knows how this system 6 QW1's and 6 QW215's would compare to a comparable EAW KF setup coverage, throw, and SPL wise. From what I've gathered though, there have been few people that I have actually deployed then entire 4 way system....

From what I've gathered though, there have been few people that I have actually deployed then entire 4 way system....
Yes, I expect that is a very fair statement. Generally people buying at that level specifically avoid Peavey.

Also, this thread is reminding me that I need to repaint the grills on my QW-218's... I'm also not a fan of that "hammer-tone" powder coat finish that they come with. I'd much prefer a nice satin black...

brandon, I love my peavey rig.. that being said I feel as if you already have enough with the versarray, i dont think the qw would be an upgrade for you. Infact as much as this hurts to say, you may be better off saving for a brand that will take you to the next level in your company.