The EV Smell

Ben Gingerich

Sophomore
Oct 19, 2012
Warner Robins Ga
I sold a set of my ZLX 12p's (they have been out of the box 2 times) and I got a phone call today that the guy was very happy with the cabs but the smell he couldn't deal with and wanted to return them.
I have worked with ev equipment for years and the weed/skunk smell is just something I have gotten use to when i order their stuff. Is there something I can do to get rid of it other than leaving out of the box for 6 months?

Re: The EV Smell

This stuff really works:

Smoke Odor Eliminator

It got rid of cat piss smell, saved me from replacing the floorboards in a rental unit.
I still have a can that must be 10 years old that I use when I have been too lazy to empty the garbage and get some persistent smell under the sink..

It's probably just the off-gassing of the speaker glue. I've always noticed it with fresh EV drivers. It cures eventually and becomes relatively odorless - until you beat the crap out of the drivers so they get really hot. But that's just a temporary smell... unless you let the smoke out. Then they're really stinky for good.

I recently read a review of one of those new Line 6 speakers in a UK guitar magazine. One of the first things mentioned was an unusual weed-like smell coming from the cabinet when used (apart from that it got a rave review).

Don't know whether they use EV drivers in those boxes, but seems a coincidence hearing such similar reports so close together!

Sent from my GT-I8160 2

I recently read a review of one of those new Line 6 speakers in a UK guitar magazine. One of the first things mentioned was an unusual weed-like smell coming from the cabinet when used (apart from that it got a rave review).

Don't know whether they use EV drivers in those boxes, but seems a coincidence hearing such similar reports so close together!

Sent from my GT-I8160 2

Mexican imports?