The toilet break thread

Inspired by the shower-thread.

It amazes me that even though most humans in the western world use a toilet several times each day, it still seems so difficult for people who build and maintain public spaces to make functional toilet areas.

Here's my "dream list" of how a toilet break works. Is this really so hard to facilitate?

1). Please give me stall big enough to turn around without touching all kinds of areas I don't want to
touch.
2). A hook on the inside of the door for my coat and bag is real nice.
3). Please adjust the seat cover so that it doesn't fall back into my back when I sit down.
4). It is much appreciated when the seat is sized and positioned such that there is no chance that
"stuff hanging down" will somehow touch the bowl.
5). Could I have somewhere near the wash basin area where I can put my coat and bag without
getting them soaked in dirty water and/or soap? Give me faucets I can operate with a
minimum/no touching.
6). If you insist on me air-drying my hands, give me a normal old-fashioned one. Those "air-blades"
and whatever else just makes people touch wet areas where other people just touched. I just
CLEANED my hands.
7). Please let me use a paper towel to dry my hands if I wish to. (And turn of the faucet without
touching it).
8). Paper bins that I can put the used paper towel into without touching a revolving lid, etc, is nice.
9). Bonus points if I can use the paper towel to open the door and then discard of it in a bin right next
to the door.
10).Alternatively, install a door than can be opened without touching with my hands. Door KNOBS are
a no-no in toilets.

I wonder how many cases of the common flu, etc, we'd be spared if most public toilets were built like this. I just don't see this 10-step list costing more or having other downsides, only upsides.

Last edited:
Re: The toilet break thread

9). Bonus points if I can use the paper towel to open the door and then discard of it in a bin right next
to the door.

I wonder how many cases of the common flu, etc, we'd be spared if most public toilets were built like this. I just don't see this 10-step list costing more or having other downsides, only upsides.

+1 on the garbage bin by the door. Or better yet, don't have a door at all if the space permits it.

It is quite fascinating to see the different personal hygiene practices of people. You get everything from the guy who rolls out of the stall followed by green fumes and doesn't wash his hands, coughing into his hands before he grabs the door handle, to the person who spends several minutes scrubbing at the sink and waits at the door for someone coming in as their chance to escape without touching anything.

Hey Kristian, do they have "the trough" in Norway?

450px-IMAG0249.JPG

The best places fill them up with ice to keep the pee steam-factor down.

Hey Kristian, do they have "the trough" in Norway?

450px-IMAG0249.JPG

The best places fill them up with ice to keep the pee steam-factor down.

Hello, quite familiar with those. We call them "pissrenne" which roughly translates to "piss-slide" or "piss-gutter".

Great for taking a fuzz-free leak, apart from the risk of spray-back from your neighbour (gotta love that). Not so great for taking a dump :D

Hello, quite familiar with those. We call them "pissrenne" which roughly translates to "piss-slide" or "piss-gutter".

Great for taking a fuzz-free leak, apart from the risk of spray-back from your neighbour (gotta love that). Not so great for taking a dump :D

How easy wouldn't it be to construct a spray-back free "pissoir" (they call them that in the fancy places that Kristian never gets to work at :D~:-D~:grin: , and if the bathroom attendant is any good, the stainless steel will be polished to a degree where you get a good view of the neighbour's "kit" :uhoh: )
We don't call them "trough" in Norway, because we prefer to drink out of the toilet bowl.

Hmmmm, I just thought of a good way to perform a job "interview", tell the candidate to take a toilet break, and inspect the state in which he leaves the facility. It never cease to amaze me how grown ups have not learned to avoid pissing on the seat or the floor, leave crapmarks all over the bowl even when there is a brush, make a mess of the sink and miss the wastebucket. If someone is that sloppy with their personal business, will they be any good at other jobs that are more complicated and with less training?

Last edited:

How do you know the new guy at work is really efficient? If he's doing up his belt buckle while exiting the bathroom you've got a winner!
Chances are that he never washed his hands then, and do you really want those hands touching your faders and the microphone grille that your main talent will be kissing? :razz:
The new guy probably doesn't wear a belt anyway, all the young ones seem to still think it is cool to show off their Calvin Kleins while they are stumbling along in their unlaced Air Jordans.

if the bathroom attendant is any good, the stainless stell will be polished to a degree where you get a good view of the neighbour's "kit" :uhoh: )
They could use some of that fun house mirror technology to make your neighbors junk look smaller and yours larger (Objects in mirror are larger than they appear) so pissers suffer less "Paruresis" (shy bladder syndrome).
Hmmmm, I just thought of a good way to perform a job "interview", tell the candidate to take a toilet break, and inspect the state in which he leaves the facility. It never cease to amaze me how grown ups have not learned to avoid pissing on the seat or the floor, leave crapmarks all over the bowl even when there is a brush, make a mess of the sink and miss the wastebucket. If someone is that sloppy with their personal business, will they be any good at other jobs that are more complicated and with less training?

Another secret job interview test is see if the candidate seasons their food before tasting it, or after, and then only as needed.

Telling the candidate to take a bathroom break so you can inspect the result seems a little invasive and awkward. Perhaps worthwhile if you anticipate spending time in close quarters like sharing time on a bus tour.

JR

Chances are that he never washed his hands then, and do you really want those hands touching your faders and the microphone grille that your main talent will be kissing? :razz:
The new guy probably doesn't wear a belt anyway, all the young ones seem to still think it is cool to show off their Calvin Kleins while they are stumbling along in their unlaced Air Jordans.

Like was said further up, it's strangely interesting to watch people's hygene habits: I would assume a cleanly person to do up their pants with just the buttons/zipper, then wash their hands, and after that fix the rest of their attire with clean hands...

+1 I forget which country but I've seen urinals that were just a tiled (or cemented) up corned of the (vasser-zimmer?) facility with a sloped floor and a drain at the low point...... Not as crude as it sounds but very rudimentary and probably easy to clean (with a hose).

JR

I've often wondered.. is it the kitchen ice bucket that goes into the washroom? or the washroom bucket that goes into the kitchen? :)

Jason

I wish I didn't read that, now I can't go out for local nights ......... Especially the first and last time I ordered food at an establishment that kept the potatoe bin right across from the 'facilities'.... yet no potatoes were consumed prior to the quick bodily evacuation that followed for a few days .... I've got a new respect for establishments that open the bottle of beer in front of you ....

BRad