There is a new rack mounted digital mixer in town

Glenn Adams

Junior
Feb 3, 2014
Yadda yadda yadda. And it is like nothing before it. Hey I have a bridge for sale.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wCT10Oqa07Y

it is nothing like the new Presonus SL32RM, or the SMPro UMIX, and nothing like the year old X32 Rack, this is all new

Presonus and Mackie are going bigger when Behringer is going 3 steps smaller with the X18R and X16R and X12R stage boxes with built in wireless networking. Guess who will gain more market share?

Last edited:
Re: There is a new rack mounted digital mixer in town

I still wonder about the simple things with products like these. I'm at a show and there is just something not right with one of the guitar channels. I solo them one at a time.......... Wait can't solo channels........ The performers on stage move microphones around and now there is some feedback in the monitor systems. I solo it up and look at it in Smaart....... Nope can't do that either. Backing tracks or break music would have to be done from stage box location? Can these be done or am I out of luck?
Douglas R. Allen

I still wonder about the simple things with products like these. I'm at a show and there is just something not right with one of the guitar channels. I solo them one at a time.......... Wait can't solo channels........ The performers on stage move microphones around and now there is some feedback in the monitor systems. I solo it up and look at it in Smaart....... Nope can't do that either. Backing tracks or break music would have to be done from stage box location? Can these be done or am I out of luck?
Douglas R. Allen
I think that you can...

There is a monitor bus suggesting you can solo stuff. They mentioned dante support so you can have a computer at FoH to do smaart. This will give you backing tracks/break music as well.

So I'd guess you're not out of luck just yet.

Btw, looking at the video I tend to like their ipad app...

Douglas R. Allen

IEM plugged into the Monitor outs covers the solo, I use normal ear buds and not molded because I do not have them in all the time.

I have a RTA from Mixing Station running on the HP Slate 10 , not smaart but it is great for finding feedback.

USB stick, or hard drive plugged in covers backing tracks and intro music without having to get to the mixer.

And I have been doing all this with my X32 Console and the Rack, so doing it with the Presonus or Mackie is a year late to the show.

It has a headphone out. I assume the solo goes there.
Have to put it into an IEM if you're out with the iPad.

One thing I saw is they say you can record 2 track mp3 directly onto the iPad.
There is no hard-docked ipad like the DL1608, so somehow the ipad is getting audio.
I'm definitely checking this out. Very curious how the audio gets to the iPad. (and if so, how much latency)

I don't believe the recording "goes to the iPad". There are USB A & B on the rear that allow for connection to a MAC or PC for multitrack recording, or a direct-to-hard-drive recording. Controls for this can be done via the iPad, but I am fairly certain that no audio is going into or out of the iPad.

Listening to marketing propaganda these days from pro audio manufacturers you would think running a copper snake and having a control surface with real faders were the worst things in the world. Having a digital console is one thing, but having no control surface whatsoever is completely unacceptable in any "band" mixing situation that I care to be involved in.

Listening to marketing propaganda these days from pro audio manufacturers you would think running a copper snake and having a control surface with real faders were the worst things in the world. Having a digital console is one thing, but having no control surface whatsoever is completely unacceptable in any "band" mixing situation that I care to be involved in.

Hello

If I was so lucky never to have to worry about drunks spilling their drinks on my gear and yelling next to me - I´d gladly take some nice equipment into foh - as it is, the iPad-mixing has solved all those problems + given me more free time due to faster setup and teardown. I also know some keyboard players who mix while playing and they are VERY interested with iPad possibilities.

So - for each his/her own.

Marketing departments - oh well - even back in 70s - why not today...

??? ..dave

What I mean is you're putting your life into the hands of a piece of consumer electronics (iPad). You could forget your charger, the battery could die, it could crash, the wifi might not work, and on and on and on. Even a layered digital console with A/C cord is exponentially more reliable IMO. I'm an analog guy myself, and I'm willing to concede that some digital consoles work well for others, but this is just a step too far.

What I mean is

......You could forget your charger, the battery could die, it could crash, the wifi might not work, and on and on and on.

Hello

Before X32 my Soundcraft Spirit 324 crashed few times despite of UPS - never had that experience with iPad - plus I have two with me - they cost less than a snake anyways

forget charger --- forget snake, distro, amp rack , mic case - head ...
someone could cut your snake - spill drinks on your mixer - push your rack to floor etc etc etc - what´s the difference ?
Whatever the system - things CAN go haywire - but with reasonable precaution they usually go fine.

p.s. some "consumer electronic" is far more reliable than some so-called "pro-electronics" anyway - it depends ...

I mix with iPad - back-up is a computer next to stage with mixer - third is the actual hardware of X32R - two iPads - one in use - second in charger - another charger in accessory case - just in case ...

What I mean is you're putting your life into the hands of a piece of consumer electronics (iPad). You could forget your charger, the battery could die, it could crash, the wifi might not work, and on and on and on. Even a layered digital console with A/C cord is exponentially more reliable IMO. I'm an analog guy myself, and I'm willing to concede that some digital consoles work well for others, but this is just a step too far.
good point, At least with some of the other digital rack mixers there can be a PC or motorized fader control surface to get you through the night.

What if you drop the tablet? Do you ask if anyone in the house has one with 3 or 4g link to download the app?

I don't believe the recording "goes to the iPad". There are USB A & B on the rear that allow for connection to a MAC or PC for multitrack recording, or a direct-to-hard-drive recording. Controls for this can be done via the iPad, but I am fairly certain that no audio is going into or out of the iPad.

Can't find what made me think that. I believe you are right. Must have heard them say "control recording w/iPad"

good point, At least with some of the other digital rack mixers there can be a PC or motorized fader control surface to get you through the night.

What if you drop the tablet? Do you ask if anyone in the house has one with 3 or 4g link to download the app?
Any piece of equipment that is crusial should have a backup. Even more so if it is exposed in such way that it is likley to fail.

Am I the only one protecting my ipad with a protective case when mixing?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X4xNcF6T7Is&autoplay=1

Btw, most videos I've seen seems to indicate that the glass surface may crack when you drop your ipad/iphone but is still in working condition. There are videos of people dropping a hammer on a non protected screen and while the glass cracks the ipad/iphone is still usable!

There are many videos like this:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mpyI736X-zU

This test seems to be destructive though:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sCXkuo5_s4M

Last edited:

Any piece of equipment that is crusial should have a backup. Even more so if it is exposed in such way that it is likley to fail.

Am I the only one protecting my ipad with a protective case when mixing?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X4xNcF6T7Is&autoplay=1

Btw, most videos I've seen seems to indicate that the glass surface may crack when you drop your ipad/iphone but is still in working condition. There are videos of people dropping a hammer on a non protected screen and while the glass cracks the ipad/iphone is still usable!

There are many videos like this:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mpyI736X-zU

This test seems to be destructive though:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sCXkuo5_s4M

ive been using iPads since they came out. I trust the device. What I still do not trust is any WiFi network.
To me it is the systems weakest link.

Yeah, I trust my iPad as much as any equipment I use. I have been mixing on one for about three years and it, and my WiFi network have been rock solid. I am still running OS 6.1.3 with and Airport Express, standard DHCP settings- no problems. Carry it in an Otterbox case. Used it last night and will be using it again tonight.

I have been mixing on my X32 Rack for over a year now. I do carry a laptop and an ethernet cable as a backup, but the laptop has only been used as a USB multi-track mixer as I have never had any issues with either wireless or the iPad app.

The use of 5Ghz and an Android app wireless band sniffer is also helpful in making sure that your wireless remains problem free. These are the new "tools of the trade" IMHO. There are just too many venues where it is much more convenient to mix on a remote tablet. I'll concede the larger festivals and events large enough to sport a dedicated FOH position; however, for every one of those, there are literally 100 smaller events where you don't have such a luxury.

The new Behringer XR12 is only $300.00. That is going to be very hard to ignore for lots of small setups. That is one ton of features packed into something you can fit into a large purse ;)

I have been mixing on my X32 Rack for over a year now. I do carry a laptop and an ethernet cable as a backup, but the laptop has only been used as a USB multi-track mixer as I have never had any issues with either wireless or the iPad app.

The use of 5Ghz and an Android app wireless band sniffer is also helpful in making sure that your wireless remains problem free. These are the new "tools of the trade" IMHO. There are just too many venues where it is much more convenient to mix on a remote tablet. I'll concede the larger festivals and events large enough to sport a dedicated FOH position; however, for every one of those, there are literally 100 smaller events where you don't have such a luxury.

The new Behringer XR12 is only $300.00. That is going to be very hard to ignore for lots of small setups. That is one ton of features packed into something you can fit into a large purse ;)
Bingo. My 5Ghz has been solid everywhere I've gone. I still like hard line, old school stuff I know, but my school was very old.

While I subscribe to the idea that, "if you can get away with a wire, don't bother with wireless," with a proper router, and good settings, you can almost ensure that iPad control is seamless. The one iPad system I have access to has static IP settings, only allows certain MAC addresses to connect, and is encrypted ridiculously on 5Ghz. Naturally we have an extra iPad and wired backups. It's a bit frivolous, but I've never had a single connection problem, the signal is strong everywhere (it helps that the facility itself runs 2.4Ghz and is cinderblock), and no one besides the few authorized people have gotten into it. I doubt there will be much besides a total power failure that screws the iPad control up.

The entire discussion seems very similar to ones I had years ago about film vs digital SLR's ;)

One huge advantage of this approach is that you can put an idiot proof GUI over the device for people that have very little know-how, and simply switch to a completely manual setup for the professionals who have a clue.

Of course, they are always producing better and better idiots ;)