This guy is restless!

A little quote from the article.

"Sound is very simple; if you think about your ears, they're just a flap of skin that moves backwards and forwards at different speeds to give us different frequencies. It's a compression and expansion of particles, it's that simple – so why are speakers not producing accurate sound? That was the challenge."

and

"If you're producing linear tracks and frequencies, most tracks are generally flat and, of course, they have peaks where the transients come in. But if you're producing sound in a uniform, linear way and you shut a door then you can hear all the sound drop out because you're not hearing the 'thump, thump, thump' of 80hz, which is all distortion and all pressure coming out and travelling through walls. The key is, if you're producing everything evenly, you should hear it all drop down at the same level – the key is getting it linear."

Here is the full article.

Injecting some Flare into Sound Systems | MEOKO

Re: This guy is restless!

Easy enough for one listening position... Multiple positions is a whole another story and often the missing key when a company moves from studio type monitors or home theater speakers into the large scale live arena.

I am not sure what point you are trying to make.

The idea of reducing box flex is fine and using metal is one way to do it. I am not sure how innovative that is.

They may very well have something going on to control port velocity.

As I said, going from the monitors that are the bulk of their line is a giant step to pro audio boxes. I would immediately wonder about the lack of any type of horn or a pattern spec in their literature.

The 30hz to 32 kHz spec on their 3 way box is pretty funny as well.

And if they think of funktion as the competition, that tells you the standard they have set as good.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

It is a relatively universal fact that the more brilliant people are, the less they seem to be able to explain their ideas. I think the two quotes you chose are a prime example of this; in his mind, they made perfect sense and probably are accurate, but in ours, they are total hogwash.

I think that there are typically 3 measures of "sound quality" for the average person; 1) Is it loud? 2) Is there bass and treble? 3) Can I understand what someone is saying? AND these 3 measures are often not considered at the same time. Sound professionals obviously have more refined ways of grading things but... is it possible that we sometimes use speakers in situations where it's easy to accomplish "Loud" or "Bass and Treble" or "I can understand what they're saying"?
I remember going to a Bose store about 15 years ago. As I sat through their sales presentation they used words like "rich sound". I had a hard time accepting the idea that the Wave Radio had "rich tone" as we listened in a bare drywall box presentation room while sitting on folding chairs. But I think that most people could probably believe that what they were hearing was "rich sound" after being told that that is what they were hearing. I love quality audio as much as the next sound guy but maybe it's not the holy grail for everyone. Maybe, just maybe, you can put a bunch of components in a box that looks like it might do something special and, coupled with a salesman who really believes in his product, sell a few. Perhaps if you play a song that the customer really really likes, you'll sell even more. But this is just speculation.

It is a relatively universal fact that the more brilliant people are, the less they seem to be able to explain their ideas. I think the two quotes you chose are a prime example of this; in his mind, they made perfect sense and probably are accurate, but in ours, they are total hogwash.

I don't know about that. I have read some pretty cogent arguments from some pretty smart people on this and other forums. Maybe this guy is a savant?

I tried reading the lines, the words, the sentences. Then I tried reading 'between' them, too.

Is the word "vortex" mentioned in his presentation? Oh shit:

Once you've stopped the box resonating, the other issue is pressure. Through our research we've created what we call 'Vortex Technology': lots of lots of small vortices, which kill the sound energy but allow the pressure to evacuate the box – so it's like completely silencing the port inside a loudspeaker. Those two technologies together mean we have a structure that doesn't resonate and no pressure inside the box.
--from the link Marjan provided.

Man, that is pure gold. It was inevitable such musings would trickle from HiFi into the corners of pro sound.

Given that, based on your blog posts, you've evidently spent a lot of time of late chasing real speaker anomalies in product that is actually sold, I'll bet you find this either hilarious, frustrating, or perhaps both.

I don't know about that. I have read some pretty cogent arguments from some pretty smart people on this and other forums. Maybe this guy is a savant?

Not that his ideas AREN'T hogwash. Just that he isn't explaining them coherently. Just because someone is brilliant doesn't mean they have a clue what's going on, either.

All I'm saying is that he's been able to formulate something that he doesn't know how to explain. It's a shitty idea, but it's different and no one else knows what he's doing, and he can't seem to explain it.