Top Ways To Annoy A Sound Engineer

Nick Latkowski

Freshman
Jul 17, 2013
Pittsburgh
Random Topic. Please post your own. Could Write a book about them.

• Anyone Else Wrapping My Cables
  • Anyone Else Running My Cables
  • What does this knob do? (Proceeds to turn it, Get the hell away from my board)
  • Can I set my beer here?
  • Hey, When is this bands next show? (I'm the sound guy, I don't even know their name)
  • I NEED MOAR MONITOR!!!!!
  • Incorrect terminology
  • It sounds like crap. (Did you ever think it's the bands fault? Also, I dont give a shit what your drunk ass thinks. Never mind, forgot Im a miracle worker, I'll get right on that.)
  • Why Can't I hear over there? (Either some idiot didn't set anything up right in the first place, or the venue did not pay for enough equipment.)
  • People glaring at me when the singer / person talking is a foot away from the mic
  • When the local band brings an analog sound engineer that doesn't have the knowledge to use a the digital board you provided. And still wants to run it.
  • Cheap Equipment
  • Shitty Power (Just rent a generator if you cant support my system)
  • That rider is from last year, but should give you a general Idea. (Didn't mention the extra 3 keys that need 2 DI's a piece, or switching to In Ears)

Last edited:
Re: Ways to annoy a sound guy

Random Topic. Please post your own. Could Write a book about them.

• People glaring at me when the singer is a foot away from the mic

This. I don't run into many singers with this problem, mostly people doing announcements, etc. Everybody looks to me, "Turn it up we can't hear him." Well I don't know anybody whose voice comes out of their belly button so maybe he should move the mic a little closer than that.

audience member - "I can't hear the trumpet"
me - "there are 4 other horn players on stage, he is in the mix, and when he takes a solo I'll bring him up"
audience member - "I'm a trumpet player and I want more trumpet"
me - "shocking."

audience member - "I can't hear the trumpet"
me - "there are 4 other horn players on stage, he is in the mix, and when he takes a solo I'll bring him up"
audience member - "I'm a trumpet player and I want more trumpet"
me - "shocking."
And the bass players friend can't hear the bass-and the singers girlfriend can't hear the vocals and the guitarists mom can't hear the guitar and the keyboards sister can't here the keys.

SO LET'S SEE-We Can't hear horns-bass-vocals-drums-guitar or keys-so I "GUESS" the band has not showed up on stage yet---------------------------- Maybe when they do-we will hear some music

'Sound engineers' on my Facebook feed that post pictures of their totally awesome system and the hf is at waist height.

I've taken to calling them weiner rigs.

Creep any DJ related Facebook group and you'll see these pop up frequently.

This. I don't run into many singers with this problem, mostly people doing announcements, etc. Everybody looks to me, "Turn it up we can't hear him." Well I don't know anybody whose voice comes out of their belly button so maybe he should move the mic a little closer than that.
I generally mute or drop the level of the monitors when someone is doing announcements - they scare the *bleep* out of most people and make them back way off.

Last edited:

Generic band member wants to use my gaff tape to box up his drums. I say no. Five minutes later I see him using my gaff anyway, trying to be inconspicuous about it. Probably used 50 feet. If I wasn't so tired after the show...
I carry a roll of cheap high residue duck tape for them guys ;) .