Unable to send signal from Yamah 01v96i to Ableton Live

Adrian Sasu

Freshman
Jan 16, 2014
Portland, Oregon, United States
Hi there,

All I'm trying to do is plug in a Mic into input 1 on the mixer and have Ableton recognize and be able to record what I'm singing on the Mic...

I THINK I have everything configured correctly on the Ableton side, since I can play things from Ableton to the mixer, but not sure what I'm doing wrong to go the other way...

I figured it has something to do with the Patch Out section on the Mixer, but I'm pretty lost at this point, wondering if anyone has tried to do this between these two products and if they've had any success.

Thanks!

Re: Unable to send signal from Yamah 01v96i to Ableton Live

Hi Adrian,

I know the 01V96, but have not worked with an 01V96i.
Do you have the USB~MIDI driver, Studio Manager and 01V96i Editor on your computer and communicating with the mixer?
The 01V96 Editor Patch page is a really easy to use interface for assigning channels.

Or, on the mixer, hit Patch repeatedly until you see something related to the 01V96i USB audio outputs.
Assign channel one to output one and Ableton should be able to find it.

There are a few 01V96i users on the 01V96 yahoo group forum.

Thanks and good health, Weogo

Hi Adrian,

I know the 01V96, but have not worked with an 01V96i.
Do you have the USB~MIDI driver, Studio Manager and 01V96i Editor on your computer and communicating with the mixer?
The 01V96 Editor Patch page is a really easy to use interface for assigning channels.

Or, on the mixer, hit Patch repeatedly until you see something related to the 01V96i USB audio outputs.
Assign channel one to output one and Ableton should be able to find it.

There are a few 01V96i users on the 01V96 yahoo group forum.

Thanks and good health, Weogo

Thanks for the reply :)

I have figured it out since, the output patch for the channel had to be set to "direct" not USB, or something like that... then I was able to send signals to Ableton

The "d" I'd for digital. That step is missing in the recording instructions in the versions of the manual I have.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

The "d" I'd for digital. That step is missing in the recording instructions in the versions of the manual I have.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Yes I noticed, I didn't see those steps in the PDF version of the manual, but maybe I missed it... however the hard copy instructions had them in there, glad I decided to read those also :)

I've been talking to a guy who has lots of experience in this field and he strongly suggests that I ditch Abelton in favor of Cubase as far as working witht his mixer... so he's going to give me some pointers and we'll see how that goes.

I have the same mixer and am pretty good with it. Do not know Abelton but have Cubase up and running. Let me know if I can help.

I have the same mixer and am pretty good with it. Do not know Abelton but have Cubase up and running. Let me know if I can help.

Oh man, I'm going to have lots of questions! :)

We did switch to Cubase, and got it so the faders can be controlled from Cubase, but is there any other benefit to using it in "REMOTE" mode other than having control of the faders that way?

I think tonight and tomorrow I"m going to go through the process again and throw together a list of questions and hopefully you can help me out with some of them.

Thanks for the reply! :)

It is just like using a mouse on a computer. The keyboard can do it but the mouse is allot easier.

The faders can control the program just like you could with the mouse or hotkeys. For us sound guys it feels more natural to use the faders.

I do not really do allot of recording. Just the opposite, I use tracks to virtual soundcheck for live shows. So I will not be allot of help with cubase when it comes to that part. But I have gotten real good at the 01V96i when it comes to patching and routing signal. I have an Aviom I send channels back to the stage with. Took me awhile to get my head around that. If I can help I will.

It is just like using a mouse on a computer. The keyboard can do it but the mouse is allot easier.

The faders can control the program just like you could with the mouse or hotkeys. For us sound guys it feels more natural to use the faders.

I do not really do allot of recording. Just the opposite, I use tracks to virtual soundcheck for live shows. So I will not be allot of help with cubase when it comes to that part. But I have gotten real good at the 01V96i when it comes to patching and routing signal. I have an Aviom I send channels back to the stage with. Took me awhile to get my head around that. If I can help I will.

Hey Steven,

I do have one question on routing that maybe you can help me out with...

My band mate says his Synth needs an external source to be able to keep tempo, so he was wondering if there was a way to route the audio from an input channel back out through another input or insert I/O jack that he can then plug into that synth?

Dunno if my question make sense, but basically just wondering if this mixer allows us to send audio back out through another input channel or those insert I/O ports... not exactly sure what those do. Or maybe this is just something that a mixer doesn't do..?

Using Pro Tools with my 01v96i and find it easier then Cubase. As for routing audio, you can send an input channel almost anywhere (slot,usb,aux,bus,etc) except back out an input. The closest thing would be using an insert cable but that would require a return. Is he talking about a clock for the synth??

Using Pro Tools with my 01v96i and find it easier then Cubase. As for routing audio, you can send an input channel almost anywhere (slot,usb,aux,bus,etc) except back out an input. The closest thing would be using an insert cable but that would require a return. Is he talking about a clock for the synth??

Yes, pretty much... I think he's planning on getting a midi clock thing to just synch up all the keyboards but was wanting to try this method first. When you say you can route an input channel to 'slot', what is that specifically?

Yes, pretty much... I think he's planning on getting a midi clock thing to just synch up all the keyboards but was wanting to try this method first. When you say you can route an input channel to 'slot', what is that specifically?

The expansion slot on the back. Many expansion cards are available but all are limited to 16 inputs/16 outputs due to the expansion slot bus architecture. You can view all of the Mini-YGDAI cards here: http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/interfaces/miniygdai/index.jsp

So just to clarify though, there is no way for me to take a sound in from a keyboard via input 1 for example and then send it back out to insert I/O slot on like input 2 or something like that? I don't really know what the Insert I/O slots are used for.

So just to clarify though, there is no way for me to take a sound in from a keyboard via input 1 for example and then send it back out to insert I/O slot on like input 2 or something like that? I don't really know what the Insert I/O slots are used for.

I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish.

I suggest you sit down with the mixer and review the various PATCH screens. Use the cursor keys and wheel to scroll through the routing options to see what you can do. The 01v series is one of the most configurable mixers out there. Don't get lost. ;)

Last edited:

I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish.

I suggest you sit down with the mixer and review the various PATCH screens. Use the cursor keys and wheel to scroll through the routing options to see what you can do. The 01v series is one of the most configurable mixers out there. Don't get lost. ;)

I want audio to go from Keyboard A into the mixer, then back out from the mixer to an output that I can then plug directly into keyboard B.

My band mate seems to think that this will help Keyboard B keep tempo, since it needs external source to do that. I don't know enough about his keyboards to know weather that is true or not, I just wanted to find out if I can even do that with the mixer in the first place.

I've definitely spent lots of time in the patching screens, and I've figured out what to do for the most part anything that we need, but I couldn't figure out this... if its even possible. Unfortunately since its so configurable there are like a thousand options :) Easy to get lost :(

I want audio to go from Keyboard A into the mixer, then back out from the mixer to an output that I can then plug directly into keyboard B.

My band mate seems to think that this will help Keyboard B keep tempo, since it needs external source to do that. I don't know enough about his keyboards to know weather that is true or not, I just wanted to find out if I can even do that with the mixer in the first place.

I've definitely spent lots of time in the patching screens, and I've figured out what to do for the most part anything that we need, but I couldn't figure out this... if its even possible. Unfortunately since its so configurable there are like a thousand options :) Easy to get lost :(

Are you using all of the 1/4" 'OmniOut' connectors on the mixer? Those can connect to ANY virtual output in the mixer, such as a direct output from whatever channel Keyboard A in plugged into. On page 125 of the O1v96II manual, look under "direct outputs" in the index.

Just thought I'd add that the only way to sync most midi equipped synths is via midi, it's not always the best/most accurate time reference but in most cases will be fine. Unless we are talking about a synth with a click input then using the audio source from one will not help the other keep time