Value Wireless Mic System: Sennheiser EW100 or AT3000

Phil Lewandowski

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Hi all!

We are looking for a new basic wireless mic system for the church I work at. It's been a few years since I've been in the trenches testing gear and things have changed! We are needing to replace our old AT3000 series systems (the older ubiquitous ones you see everywhere).

Looking for what you think is the best value wireless systems these days in the $500-750 price range. We will be using 2 lav systems and 1 handheld.
I think I've narrowed it down the Sennheiser EW100 series or the latest 4th generation AT3000 series.

The needs:
  • Using the stock cardioid lav mics with them and don't plan to upgrade. So have you found ME4 vs. AT831 to have an advantage?
  • Need to be relatively easy to operate and mute/unmute as non-professionals are operating them much of the time
  • Max ~$750 per unit

Anyone used both these systems and any thoughts?

Thanks!

I know the system you have now well! I always felt the original AT3000 series fell into the sweet spot
of price and preformance.

Both of your system choices work great, there are a couple things to consider though.

If you plan to use any of the lapel or headset mics you have now and are using with the older AT3000
series they will not connect to the new Gen4 3000 body packs unless you get the AT adapter cable.
They changed the connector on the new packs, I have no idea what they were thinking!!

On both the Sennheiser and AT body packs to turn them on you need to open the battery door to get
the switch. That's good to keep the power from accidentally getting turned off but your everyday non pro users
may fiddle around trying to get the door open and then for get to turn them off.
The mute switches are easy to get to on the top of both body packs.

On the hand held mics the AT power switch requires unscrewing the sliding battery cover to get to and it's
a tiny sliding switch that turns on the power. Again great to keep the power switch from accidentally getting
turned off, maybe not so great for the non pro user.
The mute button is on the bottom of the AT mic and kind of hard to get to, again that can be good or not so good!

The Sennheiser power button is on the bottom of the mic fairly easy to get to, the mute button is on the side
of the mic right below the mic capsule.
The Sennheiser buttons are rubber and i have seen them get picked apart from nervous mic users!!

It comes down to the ergonomics of the mic controls more than anything else.

Reactions: Phil Lewandowski
Good stuff Mike, thank you!

Question: Have you compared the stock lav mics between the 2 by chance?
I have and have used the 831 many times and the ME4 a few times. I like the 831 better.
The ME4's I have seen that don't get treated well seem to fall apart easy.

For your main people speaking have you considered the micro headset mics, they work much
better than a lapel mic.

Reactions: Phil Lewandowski
I have and have used the 831 many times and the ME4 a few times. I like the 831 better.
The ME4's I have seen that don't get treated well seem to fall apart easy.

For your main people speaking have you considered the micro headset mics, they work much
better than a lapel mic.

Okay, that does confirm my sense even listening to a sound demo of the 831 and ME mic. 831 seemed a little better.

I always like the micro headset better as well and our Pastor usually preferred it as well. He had to give it up during this time as there are points during the Mass that he needs to put a mask on, and that wasn't working with the head worn one.

But I'm sure he will be switching back to that, hopefully sooner rather than later! So I'll definitely be picking one up for whatever units I get.

Other options to look at - JTS UF-20, and Shure SLX-D.
Of the two you listed - I've had better experience with EW100 than A-T. The A-T 4k series was closer, but still a bit behind Sennheiser, back in the analog days.

Digital is here to stay though, I'd use SLX-D as the standard to compare any other cheap wireless against.