Video streaming and audio?

I have a client that asked me for something new (to me).

The scene is a horse riding arena. The client wants to stream video of some riding to a remote location (in this case from New England to either Florida or Germany) where an expert can observe and critique. They also want 2 way audio between the rider and the observer.

There is wifi in the arena. There is also a fiber gigabit link to a business class internet connection.

I suspect something like skype can do the audio though the wireless is beyond Bluetooth range.

So, while I have audio and networking chops, I am clueless about video streaming and things like Skype and am reaching out to the forum for some help.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad HD

Re: Video streaming and audio?

As much as some people may suggest some complicated web streaming method or protocol, skype really is quite useful for tasks like this. If neither user cares about possibly seeing the skype interface once in a while, it's the way to go. People know how to use it and it's readily available with very little effort involved in getting it working.

Seems like the receive end is pretty simple... Watch the feed on their screen and interact via the onboard mic and speakers. On the send end, you may have to use some sort of video capture device to get a better camera image than what you would normally get on a device's built-in camera. Most cheap video to USB capture devices will be recognized by skype as a compatible capture device. Then find a decent camcorder with a zoom lens and you should be good to go. In some rare cases, a camcorder might have a USB port on it that can allow it to be used as a webcam, eliminating the need for a capture device.

Audio is a different story. If they need to interact as they go, a wireless mic and wireless IFB/IEM might be the way to go. Again, skype will recognize just about any audio in or out device as something it can use to broadcast with.

I've done all of the above before with skype and although you'll want to try it out yourself beforehand to make sure levels are all good, etc, it works pretty well in almost all cases.

This sounds like a pretty simple videoconference, for which there are several options. Skype comes to mind, as do Google Hangouts, Apple's Facetime, and Microsoft Lync (although I don't know how well Lync plays outside of a corporate environment). None of these options are all that complex, as they are intended for consumer use. From an AV interface perspective, you will need to get audio and video into and out of the computer. I know that Lync will let you pick the capture devices, and I'm assuming that the other options will as well.

Put in a good wireless access point connected to the hard internet line and use two Ipads with rear camera and Facetime on either end for video and everyone including rider on their cell phone with ear buds on a conference line for voice communication.

But that is the simple and cheap way.

I would never use a software based "cheap" alternative for a corporate customer. The only way to do it right is with a Cisco C90 with 1080p precision camera and a full conference bridge with AEC. Most corporate clients are unimpressed with "cheap" solutions, and may fire you for suggesting it.