Waves Live

Cole Lofink

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
NJ/NC
www.sonuspro.com
So we need topics....

I have two options this spring, and can only choose one... (1)Buy a digital console. (2) Buy more PA.

If I keep my analog I'd like to shrink my outboard rack down to 6 space rack but still have 6 comps, 6 gates, 2ch. of verb, a mono delay, and 4 channels of PEQ or GEQ.

So I might be able to make this happen with Waves Live. I'll carry FX in the rack and use Waves for my dynamics.

My questions: Who else is doing this? What hardware are you using for A/D and D/A conversions? Will there me noticeable latency? Should I just buy an LS9-32?

Rack would be:

1) Power conditioner w/lights

2) TC M2000

3) TC D2

4) hardware for Waves

5/6) Drawer

Maybe not the best topic....but a topic none the less.

Re: Waves Live

My personal experience with the Waves Live is save your money. I spent about a month of tweaking in the shop and numerous emails back and forth with Waves tech support trying to get this system running in a usable fashion. I was unable to do so. Everything works pretty much as advertised and it sounds fine until you try to bring the A/D>D/A signal back into analog world. The latency is a real problem. That is my experience. If ANYONE has this system up and running in a real world situation with an analog console, please post your experience.

Cheers to all. Great to see new board spring up.

...Should I just buy an LS9-32?

Or some other type of digital mixer - yes.

The cartage, pile of patch snakes, analog hiss and hum, and never having enough processing all go the way of the dodo with even a basic digital board like the 01v96.

Should you do it today? That is probably the better question.

I'd love to have an LS9, but I'm not going to pay $7000 for one in 2011. The next couple years will be really interesting - I predict there will be at least one disruptive product in the sub $5000 price range that wipes out most of the compromises of a low-cost digital board. I'm hoping a big part of this will be a digital snake.

I'd love to have an LS9, but I'm not going to pay $7000 for one in 2011. The next couple years will be really interesting

I would suggest that the low-end digital showdown you are predicting is already underway.

Look at Behringer's announcement, the fact that QSC has something in the works, the things Presonus have been doing..... I'd imagine Yamaha has lots of stuff in development too.

A few years back Yamaha had little competition in this realm. Today is a different story altogether, and it's only going to intensify.

Of course competition is usually good news for the consumer.

I would not use WavesLive for channel dynamics, the latency issues would be un-managable imho. For effects and mains inserts - yes, for channel dynamics - no.

That leaves 3 options for FOH:

- digital

- analog with sufficient outboard (all analog, might be a stretch within 6 RU)

- analog with WavesLive for FX and mains EQ, multichannel gates and comps (analog).

I'd love to have an LS9, but I'm not going to pay $7000 for one in 2011. The next couple years will be really interesting

I would suggest that the low-end digital showdown you are predicting is already underway.

Look at Behringer's announcement, the fact that QSC has something in the works, the things Presonus have been doing..... I'd imagine Yamaha has lots of stuff in development too.

A few years back Yamaha had little competition in this realm. Today is a different story altogether, and it's only going to intensify.

Of course competition is usually good news for the consumer.
Competition is always good for the consumer.

I've been watching the Behringer saga, but it's going to take a lot of convincing to get me to seriously consider any gear from them based on a decade of hatred of their business practices and poor quality reputation (a couple specific products excepted).

I anxiously await Yamaha's next volley. They are a little like IBM in the late '80s - they are the standard everyone else is compared to. It will be interesting to see if they can take all of that console maturity, keep the rock solid-ness, update the UI, and lower the price to be really agressive, or if other players who started later but have less bagage will be able to lead the pack. This is arguably already happening in certain niches, but Yamaha is at the end of a model cycle, and many of the hot newcomers are at the beginning.

I anxiously await Yamaha's next volley. They are a little like IBM in the late '80s - they are the standard everyone else is compared to. It will be interesting to see if they can take all of that console maturity, keep the rock solid-ness, update the UI, and lower the price to be really agressive, or if other players who started later but have less bagage will be able to lead the pack. This is arguably already happening in certain niches, but Yamaha is at the end of a model cycle, and many of the hot newcomers are at the beginning.

FYI, Yamaha's moves have been much discussed, though they like to keep things under wraps.

A user on another site said:
Quote: said:
Yamaha's new flagship digi console

Its coming...... I got to help choose its fader tops when I was in Japan last year.

FYI, Yamaha's moves have been much discussed, though they like to keep things under wraps.
Do tell!

Though this topic is in the ''Varsity'' section, I confess I have little interest in the ''flagship'' of anything - I will never be in a position to own a $XX,XXX+ console, or likely ever run one and have a lot more interest in those products that fit my ''canoe'' or ''bass boat'' pocketbook.

I'd expect a PM1d replacement this year, though I have no inside knowledge whatsoever, just going on things I have seen reported by others.

Of course they'll likely start with the flagship to announce new technology, but it will eventually trickle down the line.

Based on what I've heard it sounds as though their new stuff will be something fairly modular, possibly taking advantage of more overlap of hardware components across products, unlike the current lineup.