Well Hung

Greg Cameron

Senior
Jan 11, 2011
So after 2 years of struggling to convince to powers that be to install my modest rig into the venue it's been used and stored in for that period of time, I finally got it hung last night. The idea of not having to stack and unstack 220 lb. boxes, often by myself, is very appealing. Not to mention the improved coverage and audio quality from the angle of incidence. Here's to a happier 2011 weekend warrior/after the day job sound guy
icon_cool.gif

Greg*

*grainy images curtesy of low light conditions + iPhone 4 + Facebook compression

Re: Well Hung

Greg,

I'm assuming the speaker cables or some tie line keeps the hang from spinning in the breeze.

With the length of the steel cable above, don't understand why you used the swivel shackles, a 90 degree (or so) twist on that length of steel cable would only take a few pounds of force.

Art Welter

You are a correct Art, we were going to forgo the swivels but decided They would add several more inches to the hang which was desirable. And you're correct about only needing a few pounds of force on the tie lines if even that. Final aiming will be done today or tomorrow before tie lines are added. The swivels are nice though for getting the boxes aimed with no tie lines at all. Just rotate into position and go.

Greg

Just wanted to say, from what little I know about flying speakers, this seems to me to be a really nice-looking, elegant setup job. Congrats!

Thanks. Of course, the director of the venue would like the bar and ropes painted black now
icon_wink.gif
I told her it would have been easier to do it before they were hung. But it was fine by me if they wanted to throw a drop cloth over the boxes and spray the metal with Rustoleum and such.

Greg

Just wanted to say, from what little I know about flying speakers, this seems to me to be a really nice-looking, elegant setup job. Congrats!

Thanks. Of course, the director of the venue would like the bar and ropes painted black now
icon_wink.gif
I told her it would have been easier to do it before they were hung. But it was fine by me if they wanted to throw a drop cloth over the boxes and spray the metal with Rustoleum and such.

Greg

The stuff that is used for ''bluing'' gun barrels does a nice job of blackening wire rope. Pour on a rag and wipe on if memory serves. Might be slightly easier than spray paint, but not sure how well it would work on the bumper bars.

Correct, Rat Subs & Rat Trap 5s. They're overkill for the room for a lot of events, just right for the ones that are supposed to be loud and well attended. But they sound great even for the folksy acoustic stuff. Initially a lot of the folks in this town balked when I started doing sound in there a couple of years ago. They thought it was too much. But they've come around now
icon_wink.gif
They were used to sub-par gear, some of it 70's era Community. I believe it's the best house system in Nevada County, definitely Nevada City/Grass Valley area.

Greg