What did i do wrong?

viktor giljevic

Jan 13, 2020
Croatia
Hello!
I"m building a 3way top speaker with 12" B&C 12ndl88 taking the bass duties from 80-300hz.Using winisd and recommended volumen of 40 liters and tuning f=65hz by B&C i made my reflex test box but it seems not working well.Open field mesurment,box on the ground.mic 15cm off the ground 5meters from the box.
Suggestions?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    296.4 KB · Views: 62
Trapezoid box 44liters,inner mesurments 36cm bright x 33cm high x 40cm deep,back wall 36cm bright x 28cm high,port dimensions 33cm x 1,5cm x 3cm lenght.

Attachments

• 20200114_111259.jpg
    20200114_111259.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 56
  • 20200114_110244.jpg
    20200114_110244.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Just going from the pictures (not always the smartest thing ;)) I think the dip in your response comes from the cavity above (coherence doesn't look bad enough at the given frequency).
To verify it you can simply block it off and test again.

PS: obviously use the same measurement conditions as the first time.
If this does not solve the problem, you should check your measurement setup.

Umm, if the enclosure is missing "stuff" that takes up space in the woofer cavity, your measures are meaningless.
You need to get the internal volume to where the enclosure will be operating to measure what's really happening.
Chris.

Going from the pictures, the enclosure for the 12" is separated from the rest, so that would not be the case.
It is however that the cavity for the mid/high has his own resonance frequency which gives an invalid measurement.

Hello!
I"m building a 3way top speaker with 12" B&C 12ndl88 taking the bass duties from 80-300hz.Using winisd and recommended volumen of 40 liters and tuning f=65hz by B&C i made my reflex test box but it seems not working well.Open field mesurment,box on the ground.mic 15cm off the ground 5meters from the box.
Suggestions?
Thanks!
First you need to learn how to do a meaningfull measurement, those strong dips in coherence in the DUT`s passband are concerning.
Put the box in the air, something like 2m should be sufficient and take a measurement in the nearfield, let´s say 30cm away, halfway between the cone and the port.
Get rid of the crossovers first and don´t forget to hit the peak finder button. The correct reference delay is important, if the measurement process uses Windowing. You found the correct reference delay, when the phase trace stays flat near zero in the middle of the passband.

The empty cavity for Mid/High is not helping like the others said already. It might help to fill this cavity with damping material.

Last edited:
Hello!
Thank you for your input!Going to finish the box on weekend and try to mesure like Uwe said.
@Uwe Was denkst du was mache ich falsch mit Smaart?Drücke "find" vor jeder messung.

Hello!
Thank you for your input!Going to finish the box on weekend and try to mesure like Uwe said.
@Uwe Was denkst du was mache ich falsch mit Smaart?Drücke "find" vor jeder messung.
Let´s keep it in English.
I don´t know Smaart, I´m using Systune.
A strong reflection can fool the peak finder, putting the microfone 15cm above ground could cause this.

Hello!
The test box is done so i did some mesurment Uwe sugested in his post above.The purlpe trace is the first mesurment with mic ca.30cm from the box between port and cone(pic1).The yellow trace is 2m from the box at the same height,but the neighbours house is 12m opposite the box, witch i think did the strong dip.The last pic is without crossover mesured like the purple trace.

Attachments

• IMG_20200130_121215.jpg
    IMG_20200130_121215.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20200130_182142.jpg
    IMG_20200130_182142.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20200130_182848.jpg
    IMG_20200130_182848.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Hello!
The test box is done so i did some mesurment Uwe sugested in his post above.The purlpe trace is the first mesurment with mic ca.30cm from the box between port and cone(pic1).The yellow trace is 2m from the box at the same height,but the neighbours house is 12m opposite the box, witch i think did the strong dip.The last pic is without crossover mesured like the purple trace.
The last picture contains the most information for me, but what about you, Viktor,
anything unusual you can spot ?

Here is my sim of your box - the dips around 400 & 800Hz are caused by a reflection from the back of the box. You may need more dampening material

Attachments

• Beyma 10 in a box.jpg
    Beyma 10 in a box.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 22
Hello!
@Peter the box will be used between 80-300hz should i dampening it anyway?
@Uwe above 400hz the trace dont look good but i dont want go that high,i"m not so experianced in reading traces i got smaart for a year now.
Thank you !

Hello!
@Peter the box will be used between 80-300hz should i dampening it anyway?
@Uwe above 400hz the trace dont look good but i dont want go that high,i"m not so experianced in reading traces i got smaart for a year now.
Thank you !

Yes you should - there is still a need to control things that are out of band, they may be 12dB down at 300Hz (for example) but their effects can often be heard and they can impact on the clarity of your system.