What is the deal with CAPTCHA

I just tried to post to the Marketplace. Every time I pressed preview post, I was forced to enter another CAPTCHA !
Very irritating, not sure why it was doing that, I've never been prompted before. My favorite part about it, was the message that my computer was infected with a virus, and that I should run an antivirus scan.

I was using [FONT=Segoe UI, Tahoma, sans-serif]Chrome [/FONT]Version 30.0.1599.66 m

Mark

Re: What is the deal with CAPTCHA

I just tried to post to the Marketplace. Every time I pressed preview post, I was forced to enter another CAPTCHA !
Very irritating, not sure why it was doing that, I've never been prompted before. My favorite part about it, was the message that my computer was infected with a virus, and that I should run an antivirus scan.

I was using Chrome Version 30.0.1599.66 m

Hey Mark,

It's been doing it to me a lot lately too while posting news articles. When the perceived threat level on the Internet bumps up, so does our spam blocker's aggressiveness. Looks like it's getting more annoying than seeing a spam message or two, though, so we'll try and get it to calm down.

For the record, I don't think I've ever had one of those messages, not even once..
maybe your computer IS infected with something that the board software doesn't like?

Jason

For the record, I don't think I've ever had one of those messages, not even once..
maybe your computer IS infected with something that the board software doesn't like?
Jason

That is pretty unlikely. There is probably a blacklist against certain IP blocks due to high spam activity which includes my address at comcast.

Hey Mark,

It's been doing it to me a lot lately too while posting news articles. When the perceived threat level on the Internet bumps up, so does our spam blocker's aggressiveness. Looks like it's getting more annoying than seeing a spam message or two, though, so we'll try and get it to calm down.

Well at least I know I'm not crazy ;-)

PM crashes IE

I'm on Chrome right now, but usually use IE. Every time I tried to access PM's today it froze my browser. Seemed fine last week.

Re: PM crashes IE

Sort-of-related, On Chrome, I've attempted to send a couple PM's today. In response to one message, after submitting, i'm prompted to prove i'm not a robot with a 'captcha' security screen. I enter the digits, and get a blank screen, my message apparently lost in cyberspace. this happened twice. In response to another message, it went right through without the security step.... strange; anyone else have this experience?

Re: PM crashes IE

Sort-of-related, On Chrome, I've attempted to send a couple PM's today. In response to one message, after submitting, i'm prompted to prove i'm not a robot with a 'captcha' security screen. I enter the digits, and get a blank screen, my message apparently lost in cyberspace. this happened twice. In response to another message, it went right through without the security step.... strange; anyone else have this experience?

Cloudflare catches a lot with the CAPTCHAs, but definitely gets some false positives. Your IP is tagged by Cloudflare as potential for spam.

If you're constantly receiving these, please PM me with your IP address and I'll add you to our whitelist.

I'm getting this from my work computer - really annoying, and I'm quite sure we're not spamming. Any way to whitelist stuff?

TJ, I get it 80% of the time I post an article. That's a couple times a day as you can imagine. We're still hacking at it, but it catches an incredible amount of spam.

We relaxed our Cloudflare security tools a bit and whitelisted a few users who requested we do so. From that, CAPTCHAs should decrease. Lets see how it goes.

Just FYI all, we turned off Cloudflare for half an hour a few days ago to see what the difference in requests per second would be. The results were pretty interesting.

PastedGraphic-1.png