What kick drum mic would you use?

Re: What kick drum mic would you use?

Nice to see all the familliar faces here. Thanks Evan for the tip.

Just wanted to say hi!

Ryan Jenkins

rjenkins (at) livearizona (dot) com

In no particular order:

Beyer M-380. So big, so full, so 1 3/8'' diaphragm. So Hyper it's nearly figure-of-8. Plan accordingly.

Beyer TGX-50. Not so big, nor so full... But it won't pick up the back of BB King's amp.

Beyer M-88TG. The real deal. With the right boom/stand combo you can actually aim the mic where it's useful.

Sennheiser MD-421. Yes, the 1980s are still with us. If you can aim it where it needs to go, it has a classic sound.

AKG D-112. Hermann ze German. Also works on tuba.

EV RE-20.

SM-57.

SM-58. Hey, it works for Ted Nugent's mixerperson.

Audix D-6.

Beta 52. Do we have to? <sigh>

A-T AE2500DE. Yum.

So, how's that for the first kick drum mic thread?

''I'll laugh about this, some day...''

Tim Mc

I have been using the Sennheiser e901 as the sole kick mic in a drum where I can't obstruct the logo. It needs a healthy low end boost but is otherwise a great mic. After having a Beta 91 being used as a sole mic fail in front of 8,000 people, I got rid of mine.

I have been using the Sennheiser e902 as my go to kick mic, pretty much since it came out.

My reasons for going to it were probably a bit silly....

I have seen the Dave Matthews Band live a stupid amount of times, and have always loved the kick sound they get... they have always posted on their site, a full list of gear and mics, and when they went from a two mic setup down to just the e902 (pretty much right as it came on the market), I figured it was worth a listen.

They have since been using an e902 (low) & e901 (Hi) combo (according to the current list on the site).... which I have not tried yet, but they have stuck with the 902 at least. I have had nothing but great results with the 902 myself and continue to carry it as my go to kick mic.

FYI... I did a gig the other day where I had to use an sm57 on kick... and surprise surprise... it did a good job. I can't say that I would switch to it full time, but for that specific, low volume gig, it did everything I needed it to do.

902.... never tried but you have just reminded me I have a 602 kicking about. Now I haven't used that in years...... I got it when I was looking for ''that'' kick drum sound all the pop/rock bands were using and only had a D112 or RE20 at my disposal...... just couldn't quite get it. One of the bands came through with a 602 and I loved it and got one at a bargin price but it still wasn't quite the sound I was after...... wasn't long after that I found the D6..... and was it exactly what I was after.

Now where did I put that 602.......... *wanders off to start looking in boxes*

902.... never tried but you have just reminded me I have a 602 kicking about. Now I haven't used that in years...... I got it when I was looking for ''that'' kick drum sound all the pop/rock bands were using and only had a D112 or RE20 at my disposal...... just couldn't quite get it. One of the bands came through with a 602 and I loved it and got one at a bargin price but it still wasn't quite the sound I was after...... wasn't long after that I found the D6..... and was it exactly what I was after.

Now where did I put that 602.......... *wanders off to start looking in boxes*

I have never used a 602, but I will say that the majority of the time that I have trouble with a drum... it's the tuning of the drum that is the culprit. Like I said in my above post, I just used a 57 on kick the other day, and it was a great fit for that gig.... that drummer though was playing a high-end D.W. kit that was tuned to absoute perfection with spanking new heads.

The only time I have enjoyed an RE20 on kick (I carry one in my regular kit)... has been with really well tuned kit's with no hole in the front head... with a hole, I have yet to have any fun with it.

I'd rather have a really well tuned kit with a less then ideal mic, then have the ''best'' kick mic in the world, and a poorly tuned kit. I find that toms are much of the same story...

The first designated ''kick mic'' I ever bought was (and still is) an EV 868. I have a D6 and an SM91 as well. The D6 is for the second stage. The SM91 only comes out if I have a single band with no change-overs. Otherwise it is always the 868.

I'd rather have a really well tuned kit with a less then ideal mic, then have the ''best'' kick mic in the world, and a poorly tuned kit. I find that toms are much of the same story...

And that, my friends, is the correct answer to any, ''what's the best mic for xxx?'' posts. The other half of the equation, of course, is the talent itself.

-C

Call me a fossil but I'm still quite happy with the D12 I've been using since way back then. Had a brief foray into D202s and liked them but kept breaking them.

M