What to do with store manager

Charles Harrigan

Sophomore
Jan 11, 2011
Upstate SC
I was in a store earlier today and they had a speaker that I've never seen before, with no logo, hanging on the side of one of the structural I-beams. It was being held in place with what looked like 2 3/8" wide by 3" long on each leg L brackets(think home depot). It also had a ratchet strap around the middle. I told the manager that this was a major issue and lawsuit waiting to happen, but he blew me off, likely b/c i'm just "some 20 something punk" I overheard him say.

I'm thinking about writing someone at the regional level or at the national level about this, but was wondering if anyone has dealt with this before, and what they did.

Re: What to do with store manager

The store manager doesn't give a crap because he has no money in the game (and may have put the speakers up himself)
you're only going to get attention from the bean counters and those who pay the insurance. find out who actually owns the store/franchise and make them aware. stress that this is no different (and maybe worse) than a trip hazard

Jason

Did you check the external clock? I think it was hanging up next to the speaker.

Oh...you guys! Stop bustin his balls...Mr. Harrigan is trying to do what he thinks is right... but, as others have suggested...he (Harrigan) has really already done his part, in making the store manager aware of a possible hazard.

If it's a Chain Store or Franchise...the SM would most likely have to write some kind of customer contact report

At this point...I'd forget about it. ....Unless you hear of this speaker falling and injuring someone....then, you could always have the satisfaction of appearing as a witness for the Plaintiff in the court case.

Good Luck...don't walk under it..
Hammer

If you feel uneasy about it, contact your local fire Marshall. The fire Marshall might take interest because something installed with flammable materials, like the nylon ratchet strap, could fall and injure a firefighter should there ever be a fire at the store.