What to look for in a bad active DI?

Re: What to look for in a bad active DI?

OK troubleshooting 101,, look for something obviously out of place or not connected,

check if active circuitry has good PS voltage (battery?). Sometime DI switch power with a switch contact on the input jack, so a dirty switch contact could kill it.

Keep looking, it's always the last thing you check.

JR

Keep looking, it's always the last thing you check.

That reminds me of my buddy who was also the head tech at a commercial editorial house. One day when something went wrong and it took some time to figure it out, the producer for the spot being edited said completely seriously, "why is it always the last thing you try that works?? Why don't you do that thing first??" They could not see the stupidity of their own question. He calmly tried to explain the trouble shooting process, but the producer just didn't get it.

Greg

That reminds me of my buddy who was also the head tech at a commercial editorial house. One day when something went wrong and it took some time to figure it out, the producer for the spot being edited said completely seriously, "why is it always the last thing you try that works?? Why don't you do that thing first??" They could not see the stupidity of their own question. He calmly tried to explain the trouble shooting process, but the producer just didn't get it.

Greg

You hit 'em with this: "if I did that first and it worked, it would still be the last thing."

Nothing jumps out at me on this one, though. Don't know where to start with it...

View attachment 7977

Sent from my DROID RAZR 2
Hi Donnie,

Everything on that board can be purchased at Digikey and delivered to you next day for very little cash.

If you know how to solder, my bet would be the IC (which is likely an op amp).

It might be time to consider getting some better active DIs. I've never seen a failure like that on an active DI. In fact, I don't believe I've ever had one go bad in 15+ years. I've been using Whirlwind HotBoxes mostly for active units. Yes, the known name brand units are about 2x the price. But I doubt you'll have the failure rate with them that you are with those units.

If my memory serves right (not very likely sometimes... lol), I believe I remember that one getting fried by a lightning strike. I was BE'ing for a band at a festival on a hired rig, dont ask me why we had to provide our own DI's. Lightning struck somewhere very close (wasnt my call to stop the show either.....) and shocked my lead singer's mouth pretty bad through the mic, killed a DI and a Roland KC550. The system engineer was leaning on the desk and got a pretty good shock too. Luckily I wasnt touching the board at the time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR 2

Yup lightning can release the smoke.. I was also thinking a hot ground, but lightning is plausible if coincident with the failure. At least you can see the parts values from the one that isn't fried to know what to replace the toasty critters with.

For the one hit by lightning, the opamp is probably hurting, too.

For the one that isn't fried you might need a VOM to troubleshoot. Pretty simple circuitry.

JR

It might be time to consider getting some better active DIs. I've never seen a failure like that on an active DI. In fact, I don't believe I've ever had one go bad in 15+ years. I've been using Whirlwind HotBoxes mostly for active units. Yes, the known name brand units are about 2x the price. But I doubt you'll have the failure rate with them that you are with those units.

Yeah. I have some Countryman type 85's that have to be over 15 years old now. I think the extra cost paid for itself by now.

Yup lightning can release the smoke.. I was also thinking a hot ground, but lightning is plausible if coincident with the failure. At least you can see the parts values from the one that isn't fried to know what to replace the toasty critters with.

For the one hit by lightning, the opamp is probably hurting, too.

For the one that isn't fried you might need a VOM to troubleshoot. Pretty simple circuitry.

JR

I'm not quite the electronics genius, but I do have a VOM and a soldering iron. I've never really done much with resistors, capacitors, etc. on a circuit board (although I did have to replace all the stepper motors on all the gauges in the dash panel of my wife's car once). What in particular do I look for with the meter? Continuity between both ends of each component? Resistance of each resistor? Do I need an analog meter to test capacitors?

Yeah. I have some Countryman type 85's that have to be over 15 years old now. I think the extra cost paid for itself by now.

Not saying their products will be as high quality as some of the higher end units, but I've purchased many EWI products from Mark and Liz and have had nothing but great success and quality from them. I still have a dual ch passive DI I purchased at the same time as those 2 (2008) and it is still working just fine. I purchased those after many recommendations from users here (and PSW then) and they were always great for me. I know lightning got the one, so I can't blame that on manufacturing or part failure, but the other I don't know about. When I purchased these I was looking at Whirlwind boxes also and had considered these to be equal to or even better than the HotBoxes. Maybe not. I'm going to try and see what I can do with these, maybe even use the parts off each to rebuild one if I can't fix both. I am, however, looking for a couple higher-end boxes, just don't have the cash right now. Hence my post in the Marketplace looking for trades on some OM7's I have that aren't seeing any use.

That's my favorite Dilbert cartoon - the pointyhaired boss having that exact conversation with Alice.

I'm not quite the electronics genius, but I do have a VOM and a soldering iron. I've never really done much with resistors, capacitors, etc. on a circuit board (although I did have to replace all the stepper motors on all the gauges in the dash panel of my wife's car once). What in particular do I look for with the meter? Continuity between both ends of each component? Resistance of each resistor? Do I need an analog meter to test capacitors?
I can't give you a complete technical education in 25 words, but I will try to point you in the right direction.

#1- does it have power... You can start with VOM in volts scale... check battery, should be 8V or more. Is power getting to the opamp when turned on? If it's a single opamp +V is typically pin 7 (second from top on right side looking at it from the top). Opamp -V pin 4 (bottom pin on left side) will be connected to ground 0V. If working properly most other opamp pins will measure roughly 1/2 the battery voltage.

#2- is signal getting into the circuit.. Plug an an input that is making a quasi constant sound (like a radio) that you can measure on the VOM in AC scale and follow it into the circuitry.

#3 if it getting in, trace it to the output.

Of course it is harder than this... For the fried unit the toasted parts need to be replaced and any burnt traces will need to be patched.

JR