Which Sennheiser headphones to get?

Meli Jimenez

Dec 25, 2018
Oakland, CA
I'm an aspiring music producer with a day job that involves walking/commuting and listening to music in the office. When I get home though, I like having headphones that play as close to studio quality sound so I can use them for recording or composition. I'm looking to get some Sennheiser headphones, but I'm not sure which ones are best for me. A bluetooth headphone with some noise cancellation would be great for my commute. However, when I'm at home recording I need something that delivers the best sound possible, and I'm not sure how great the sound is in a bluetooth powered device. I'm trying to produce as much as possible using regular monitors, rather than headphones, so I think a wireless headset that has close to professional sound would suffice. I'm looking at the 380 for studio stuff, but is this one a headphone I can also easily take to work/on my commutes? Alternatively I'm looking at the hd1, as they seem to be good for outdoor stuff, but is the sound good enough that I can take them home to make music?

Unfortunately there is no in-between when it comes to headphones for mixing and personal listening. For good mix headphones you should look at open back type (Sennheiser HD 650 are pretty much the benchmark for studio use). The trouble with open back headphones on the bus is everyone can hear what you listen to...

I have a pair of HD 380 pro's and they are great for tracking and between OK and good for mixing, but they do take a LOT of getting used to. Once you know the sound characteristics of the phones then you will start getting good mixes with them...

If you want good mixing sound quality, avoid Bluetooth or noise cancellation.

And on the other side of the fence, it's your ears and there are no right or wrong answers, everything is opinion and everything is subjective. Buy whatever suits your ears and life the most, but make an informed decision. :)

Reactions: dan elvernon