Wireless Headset - quality and range

gregory mott

Mar 17, 2020
saint paul, minnesota
is it too much to ask to find a headset with excellent sound quality AND excellent range? how about even enough range to walk into the next room? the arctis 7 has decent range. i was willing to buy something billed as a gamer headset, even with fairly disappointing sound quality, if it gave me decent range. and it did! i could walk anywhere in the house! but it wouldn't charge, so it had to go back. the sennheiser gsp 670 has pretty nice quality. but the range, well, i can't even get a small few feet away. buying headsets and sending them back is already starting to get old. how should i be going about this really? i'm in saint paul, mn for what that's worth. what's any good out there in headsets?

Hi - what's the intended purpose here? Just personal use in your house? The Sennheiser unit you mention is a gaming headset that uses Bluetooth. So is the Arctis 7.
Bluetooth is simply not a long range capable protocol - and those units you are working with have a stated max (best case) range of around 30ft.

Having said this, Jabra are one of the better options in this space. Jabra Evolve 75 is much more expensive but has the best range for bluetooth I have seen - around 100ft). They also are a corporate grade unit, better build quality.

Last edited:
there is some excellent music on youtube, my loves are classical and folk, and i would be happy to be able to hear it well. and use the phone with the same headset. the sennheiser sounds pretty decent, and works both over bluetooth and through a usb dongle. nice to have no lag. but i can't even just walk over to the kitchen, i can't even get a few feet away before it breaks up. pretty disappointing. i'd really like to have good range, good comfort for long sessions, good quality, and no lag. it's a bit surprising how high the pricetags get on sets lacking these obviously desirable characteristics.

You would be better off to get a entry level/lower end wireless system and headset from Shure or Audio Technica.
Something like a 2000 series Audio Technica would work great.
You would need to take the wireless receivers analog audio output into your computer or into a USB audio interface and then into your computer.