Wow! iPad app for Studiolive 16 and 24!!

Re: Wow! iPad app for Studiolive 16 and 24!!

I still, for the life of me do not understand the appeal of that mixer.

+1... I love the part about the graphic EQ ''draw'' feature...

''this is really nice for...just... you know... doing GENERAL kinda EQ'ing... ah... where you just want to grab a bunch of frequencies and draw in a shape''

This is for real?

All those pretty looking graphics on the iPad... and you STILL don't get an OFFLINE EDITOR.

With all of the noise that has been created by this console around here... I am surprised that I haven't heard a thing about the little Phonic digital mixer that has been in the MI catalogs for a while. Has anyone tried or purchased one yet?

Color touch screen... motorized faders... 16 real inputs... seems to me, that if you are going to wave an MI grade package around as an alternative to a Pro-Yamaha console, the Phonic hits a little bit closer to home.

I figured all the 01v fanboys would be all over this.

If Presonus walked on water, you would say it was because they can't swim.

Ok stupid question time. I'm not American, so I don't know about target, guitar center etc etc.

What does MI mean?

I'm sorry Rob if you feel the need to put words in my mouth....

The Yamaha platform has been the industry standard in digital consoles, both large and small for quite some time now. I happen to make my living using those consoles, the entire range (except the 1D... never needed more then a PM5dRH), and I just have a hard time understanding how people who participate in a forum that is titled [FORUMS FOR AUDIO PROFESSIONALS, RUN BY AUDIO PROFESSIONALS] can stand up and wave around a product that was CLEARLY designed for the MI market, as a legitimate alternative to the industry standard.

I am sorry if you think that makes me a ''fanboy''... but I use plenty of other professional (digital & analog) consoles in the regular course of business that are neither Yamaha or strictly Digital, and I am just fine with them, the APB comes to mindas does the SC48.

I have no problem with the Studiolive product... as you will see if you read my previous post in the last SL-thread... I stated that I'm sure it would be a great console to have in a band rehearsal room, in a band's project studio, or for a band who needs an all in one solution to mix from stage with (as I believe a few guys have mentioned they are doing with success). That is FANTASTIC... that is an MI product being used in an MI setting... and if it works for the end user, more power to them for finding the right tool for the job.

What annoys me is those who seem to want to promote it on a professional forum, as the next greatest thing that is soooo much easier to use and better to use then a Yamaha. If you don't understand how to use a Yamaha digital console in 2011... then you are BEHIND the curve by quite a bit... if you are not comfortable on a Yamaha digital console... GET OVER IT... you are supposed to be a PRO... DO YOUR JOB!
icon_eek.gif

(That wasn't directed at anyone personally, just a generalized rant about ''professionals'' who don't take the time to learn some very common technology)

These are the same people who DRIVE ME NUTS by proclaiming to everyone they know that they are a ''Sound Engineer'' . . . unless you earned that accreditation, then you are just completely full of it. I do not hold the title of engineer myself, and therefore would NEVER EVER use it to introduce or describe what I do... I am an audio contractor.

MI = Musical Instrument.... gear designed for the musician to use and enjoy in a less then rigorous or professional environment. There very much IS a market for this console, and I hope those who have it, have found it to fit their needs... but if you are a professional system provider and you are looking at this console as your main console... I personally think you are taking a piss.

Steve and everyone...

There are many levels within the ''profession''. Just as there are places where an SM57 is the right input device rather than a high-end condenser, so are there many applications which can be covered by something other than a Yamaha or other ''industry standard'' console as I'm sure you will allow. This whole back and forth about what is or is not a ''professional'' piece of gear is on a plane with the ''which kick drum mic'' argument.

In the end it is about the service one provides. It's ''the singer, not the song'', so to speak. I have seen lots of expensive, high-end gear put out less than stellar sound because of the usual business of business, clients shorted in the service provided by folks who had enough gear and experience to have done a proper job. I'll be the first to admit that circumstances often get the best of us all from time to time, but whether I'm using my Midas board, any of my Allen and Heath consoles, the StudioLive or simply a Behringer 5 channel mixer, it is the service that I provide and the pride I take in doing the job that is what counts in the end.

I do believe in the old adage, ''It is a poor workman who blames his tools''.

DR

I'm sorry Rob if you feel the need to put words in my mouth....

The Yamaha platform has been the industry standard in digital consoles, both large and small for quite some time now. I happen to make my living using those consoles, the entire range (except the 1D... never needed more then a PM5dRH), and I just have a hard time understanding how people who participate in a forum that is titled [FORUMS FOR AUDIO PROFESSIONALS, RUN BY AUDIO PROFESSIONALS] can stand up and wave around a product that was CLEARLY designed for the MI market, as a legitimate alternative to the industry standard.

I am sorry if you think that makes me a ''fanboy''... but I use plenty of other professional (digital & analog) consoles in the regular course of business that are neither Yamaha or strictly Digital, and I am just fine with them, the APB comes to mindas does the SC48.

I have no problem with the Studiolive product... as you will see if you read my previous post in the last SL-thread... I stated that I'm sure it would be a great console to have in a band rehearsal room, in a band's project studio, or for a band who needs an all in one solution to mix from stage with (as I believe a few guys have mentioned they are doing with success). That is FANTASTIC... that is an MI product being used in an MI setting... and if it works for the end user, more power to them for finding the right tool for the job.

What annoys me is those who seem to want to promote it on a professional forum, as the next greatest thing that is soooo much easier to use and better to use then a Yamaha. If you don't understand how to use a Yamaha digital console in 2011... then you are BEHIND the curve by quite a bit... if you are not comfortable on a Yamaha digital console... GET OVER IT... you are supposed to be a PRO... DO YOUR JOB!
icon_eek.gif

(That wasn't directed at anyone personally, just a generalized rant about ''professionals'' who don't take the time to learn some very common technology)

These are the same people who DRIVE ME NUTS by proclaiming to everyone they know that they are a ''Sound Engineer'' . . . unless you earned that accreditation, then you are just completely full of it. I do not hold the title of engineer myself, and therefore would NEVER EVER use it to introduce or describe what I do... I am an audio contractor.

MI = Musical Instrument.... gear designed for the musician to use and enjoy in a less then rigorous or professional environment. The very much IS a market for this console, and I hope those who have it, have found it to fit their needs... but if you are a professional system provider and you are looking at this console as your main console... I personally think you are taking a piss.

Fair enough. I thought this was the weekend warrior forum, and the other forum was for the big boys. I make no claims to be an audio engineer, as I an truly a weekend warrior. While I would love to have $8,000 - $10,000 for an LS9-32, I don't. For me, sound reinforcement is more of a hobby, I have a pretty decent setup, for what it is. For bar gigs, it does it's job well. 4600W FOH and 800W for monitors gets me by just fine. I see the SL24 as a step up for me, and will make my job easier.

Again, this is not my full time job, as $250/night will not replace my 85k Mon - Thurs job anytime soon. I just help support the scene, and in my little shithole of a town, there literally wouldn't BE a scene without my help.

I guess I'm just in the wrong forum.

Peace.

I do believe in the old adage, ''It is a poor workman who blames his tools''.

DR

CLEARLY you have not shopped at Harbor Freight before... if you can get the same results with those tools as you can with your REAL tools... then you are no craftsman sir... you're an E'ffing magician!!
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif

Dick, while I appreciate your point of view, and experience... I still stand behind what I said.

''There very much IS a market for this console, and I hope those who have it, have found it to fit their needs... but if you are a professional system provider and you are looking at this console as your main console... I personally think you are taking a piss.''

I agree that clients do hire us because of the quality of our work and the service we provide... but bringing out a relatively untested, consumer grade console to events where you are charging professional money... is doing yourself, your clients and eventually your reputation a HUGE disservice. That level of professionalism that you speak of, is for YOU to decide.

And yes... sometimes a small gig requires a small mixer solution... I have no problem with this at all... but I would argue that WE are the professionals, BECAUSE we being out the time tested, proven tools (Mackie 1202 etc, Mix Wiz, APB MixRack)... not the newest flavor of the month consumer effort at making a stab into a technology with which they have no history.

Quote: said:
Junior Varsity

Topics for weekend warriors, hobbyists, and our other ''friends with a day job''.

I'm just saying I thought this was the forum for this sort of discussion.

My bad.

Fair enough. I thought this was the weekend warrior forum, and the other forum was for the big boys. I make no claims to be an audio engineer, as I an truly a weekend warrior. While I would love to have $8,000 - $10,000 for an LS9-32, I don't. For me, sound reinforcement is more of a hobby, I have a pretty decent setup, for what it is. For bar gigs, it does it's job well. 4600W FOH and 800W for monitors gets me by just fine. I see the SL24 as a step up for me, and will make my job easier.

Again, this is not my full time job, as $250/night will not replace my 85k Mon - Thurs job anytime soon. I just help support the scene, and in my little shithole of a town, there literally wouldn't BE a scene without my help.

Peace.

Rob... you're not in the wrong forum at all.... and my post was not directed at you personally (as I tried to clarify in my post). If you are a weekend warrior who sees this as a tool that will help make your life easier... then it very well may be the perfect tool for you. It was the Yamaha fanboy comment (and your suggestion that I might just be bashing Presonus out of snobbery) that elicited my long post. No hard feelings man... it's all just gear.

Like I've said I think 3 times now.... there IS a market for this console.... and it would probably be a lot of fun for bar type gigs and the such.. provided that it fits your needs.

Peace.

Rob... you're not in the wrong forum at all.... and my post was not directed at you personally (as I tried to clarify in my post). If you are a weekend warrior who sees this as a tool that will help make your life easier... then it very well may be the perfect tool for you. It was the Yamaha fanboy comment (and your suggestion that I might just be bashing Presonus out of snobbery) that elicited my long post. No hard feelings man... it's all just gear.

Like I've said I think 3 times now.... there IS a market for this console.... and it would probably be a lot of fun for bar type gigs and the such.. provided that it fits your needs.

Ah ok.
icon_smile.gif

I think it might be a good piece of gear for my non mission critical kinda gigs I do. I have a buddy keeping an eye out for an LS16 or 32, if he finds one at the right price, I can see myself jumping at it. But the again, do I REALLY need something at that level for the shows I do. I wish Yamaha made an honest to goodness 24 channel 01v, that would interest me.

I've taken a few audio courses in college, and have been playing in bands since I was 14. (41 now) I pride myself on good sound, the musicians being happy with their monitor mix, NEVER getting feedback, mixing everything from bluegrass to hip hop to Death Metal, and everything in between. Along with this,

I also play in a cover band, so the ease of mixing from stage is another selling point as well.

I have a Yorkville Powermax16, which like the 01v has only 12 mic inputs. I'm looking to change from the powered board idea, and need 24 channels, as 12 really pushes it. Twice as many would be ideal. Even if they made a 32 channel 01v, as I don't want to have to key through a number of menus one handed, to get to a fader I need.

Like you said, it's more of a niche market, and I happen to be in that niche.

icon_wink.gif

Here's a band I mixed a while ago, the snare was mic'd but didn't end up running through the FOH, recorded with a Zoom Q3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDIImMcxBsk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Another band, Q3 (terrible in low light, new HD zoom soon)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zX42_ibiI0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And a hip hop band, I believe both are recorded with my iPhone..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmM-7kYJkPI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And a death metal band (lol wut)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spqNYGu3SRI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

So theres always quite a range for me, but I do what I can, with what I have, without breaking the bank. The bands always compliment me on how good it sounds, and how it's just as good, if not better than a lot of the bars in the city have. I could probably get $400/night in the big city, but I'm not in the big city. So $250/night makes it worth my while to drag the gear out, and it beats it sitting in the garage collecting dust.

icon_biggrin.gif

I'm just saying I thought this was the forum for this sort of discussion.

It is. There is just as wide a gulf between a band that owns $10K worth of gear and someone running a small soundco with $80,000 of gear (both of which would be appropriate for this forum) and a small regional with a few employees and Clair Bros (both of which are appropriate in the Varsity forum). You are certainly welcome here, but be aware that the Presonus product has redefined the bottom of the barrel and that annoys many who now have to justify their 01Vs and LS9s, which were the old cheapest standard.

By ''justify'' I don't mean that there's anything wrong with them, but now you can buy for less than it would cost to hire a competent tech for a few days a mixer that can do enough to allow you to bid against people who paid several times that for their gear. Maybe you won't do that, but there are plenty who will.

the Presonus product has redefined the bottom of the barrel

Every barrel needs a bottom......or as my grandpa used to say, ''Nobody is totally useless. They can at least serve as a bad example.''

It's the service, not the gear. If you need higher end gear to provide the service, then get it. But the over-arching requirement is service. That will never change.

For sure, I have around $21,000 in gear right now, not counting lights, and of course that's not resale value.

icon_wink.gif

And as far as underbidding, well there isn't anyone else in town that does anything like I do. So they are either stuck getting bands that tour with a rig, or they can call me. They know what I can do, they like what I do, and the money is enough that it's worthwhile at my end. Sometimes there's 120 people at a show, sometimes theres 15 people at a show, but they always pay me the same, which again, works for me. At $400 a show, I imagine there wouldn't be any shows at all.

I remember being a young pup in bands, and there was always the old guard around, ready to lend us a power amp or some lights etc when we needed it. It's just nice to be in a position to give back, and support the local scene. There's do many indie bands on the road, with just thee personal instruments. The hotel sets them up with a couple rooms, feeds them, gives them some cash and the door, and I do sound for them. So I get to hear a lot of great bands in the process as well. It works out for everyone.

P.S. They don't pay enough for me to bring my lights.

icon_wink.gif

So I get to hear a lot of great bands in the process as well. It works out for everyone.

It is nice to see that you take some pleasure in hearing the bands. There are some great lesser known bands out there, but there are multitudes of mediocre to downright awful ones too.

It sounds like you have a good attitude and a positive outlook on what you are doing. I'll admit, I'm lucky if I enjoy ''the talent'' 50% of the time (at best) when we're talking about bar bands or indie acts.

I do make a conscious effort at such gigs to not let my personal preferences be reflected in the service I provide and the interactions I have. It sounds like you have this under control, which is great.

Sorry, I got way off topic.

Rob;

It sounds like you've got a good things going there... and being able to give back to the scene is always great karma. If the studioLive will make what you do easier and more enjoyable... then rock on with it!!

Just out of curiosity, where are you located? It's always interesting to me to see what markets exist in different areas....

** I'm still curious to see if anyone has used the Phonic mixer yet?

Yeah, theres some here and here that I don't care for. I just say '' not here to like them, I'm here to make them sound good''

icon_wink.gif

Usually good times, and the band members are always easy to get along with.

I'll admit, I'm lucky if I enjoy ''the talent'' 50% of the time (at best) when we're talking about bar bands or indie acts.

I do make a conscious effort at such gigs to not let my personal preferences be reflected in the service I provide ...

If I had to listen to the music I'd have given up long ago. I just listen to the sound.......