X32 and Headphone Monitor Routing with Logic Pro X

Mark Kesson

Jan 4, 2022
Hi:

I'm new to the forum and purchased an X32 just a few months back and am trying to get up to speed on using this as an audio interface for mixing. I currently use Logic Pro X and am confused about the routing and/or set up for routing 4 different headphone mixes. I have things working fine for the input signals from the mixer to Logic, and playback into the Aux Ins from the Card 1/2 paths. And I have set each track in Logic Pro with 4 different buss mix's (one for each Headphone) to create the individual mixes from Logic to the Aux outs for each headphone monitor. What I am confused about are two things: What do I need to do on the routing page on the X32 for this to work properly? And what are the outputs that I should be selecting from on the Headphone Aux outs? Do I need the X32 edit software? I currently just connect the X32 to my MAC with a USB connection and do not use DAW integration or any X32 software.

I also do want to mention that I have a 4 channel headphone amp with individual inputs / outputs with volume controls. So i have the hardware needed. What I lack is the understanding to figure out the wiring and protocols.

As an FYI I could be doing this completely wrong and am happy to make any changes needed to get this working properly. I cannot seem to find specifics online for this particular question so thought I'd join this forum, so any advice will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Best,

Mark Kesson

There are quite a few ways of doing it and the one you choose depends on how flexible you want it. I'd possibly even route the send from logic to unused input channels - so these would pop up on the X32 on maybe 29, 30, 31, 32 input strips where you could send them out to your selected sends. I quite like having the chance to also then be able to use the X32 graphics or reverbs which can be accessed quickly - and save you having to add these via logic. That's perfectly possible but I always like to be able to see and hear the headphone mixes people are listening to - and it's not quite so quick inside the DAW - just having the meter screen up on the X32 can be very useful to see all your ins and outs

Paul, thank you for the reply. Yep, I continued working on this problem after I sent my help request; and I actually figured out a way to make the connections once I clicked on the meter view. That was a huge help as I could truly see which channels that were receiving / sending signals. I guess part of the issue is just really learning the functionality of the X32 itself. - I'm doing some studio work today and will really be testing this out in a live setting, so we'll see how things pan out. -- Anyways, thanks a million for your response and help!

What I discovered, early on was that every X32/M32 owner sets theirs up differently - that meter screen can be so useful when you try to work out what isn't happening. Using the software, by the way can be a great way to be able to just see more - so even an old laptop gives you extra displays. Very handy.

Reactions: Tim McCulloch
That makes sense. There is really a lot for me to learn just on the "live performance features" of the X32 itself. Then add the audio interface and integration with Logic Pro X and there is just a lot to it. At this point I'm pretty adept at using Logic Pro as I've used that for a while now. Now I'm just digging into learning everything about the X32 and realize it will take some time. -- Anyways, thanks again for the response and advice.