X32 Rack Matrix Phasing Issues

Ernest Allen

Dec 23, 2022
United States
Hey everyone. I just installed an X32 rack in my church. I setup LCR or Left Center Right using the matrices for front and rear house. For some reason I’m getting a strange phasing issue when I run stereo. If I pan left or right, it’s a fuller sound (more bass and hi end clarity). Once they come together I lose something. I have tried the phase button on the matrix but that makes it worse. My setup is matrix 1-2 front house left- right; matrix 3-4 rear house left-right; matrix 5 front center; matrix 6 rear center.

I’m routing to outputs 1-6 on the rack. Outputs 7&8 are for streaming.

While testing keep in mind the center channels are muted.

The house speakers are QSC K12’s.

I hope I gave enough information.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone

Hey everyone. I just installed an X32 rack in my church. I setup LCR or Left Center Right using the matrices for front and rear house. For some reason I’m getting a strange phasing issue when I run stereo. If I pan left or right, it’s a fuller sound (more bass and hi end clarity). Once they come together I lose something. I have tried the phase button on the matrix but that makes it worse. My setup is matrix 1-2 front house left- right; matrix 3-4 rear house left-right; matrix 5 front center; matrix 6 rear center.

I’m routing to outputs 1-6 on the rack. Outputs 7&8 are for streaming.

While testing keep in mind the center channels are muted.

The house speakers are QSC K12’s.

I hope I gave enough information.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone

Thank you for your response.

Yes this was an empty scene. I had an iPad playing music into channels 1-2 w no processing at all. Turned it up and voila!! That funny phasing sound.

Sent from my iPhone

Best practice is to use a mono source for checking system configuration - some stereo tracks have enough differences between channels to make verifying that loudspeakers are properly aligned almost impossible, and not all stereo tracks sum to mono without degradation. The X32 has an onboard oscillator that includes a pink noise generator that may be useful here, or you can use only one side of your stereo input and pan it to the center to make sure that the problem does not lie with your source material.

Best practice is to use a mono source for checking system configuration - some stereo tracks have enough differences between channels to make verifying that loudspeakers are properly aligned almost impossible, and not all stereo tracks sum to mono without degradation. The X32 has an onboard oscillator that includes a pink noise generator that may be useful here, or you can use only one side of your stereo input and pan it to the center to make sure that the problem does not lie with your source material.

Excellent response. Thanks. We ran a mono bass signal. Panned left, full and thick. Panned right, same thing. Panned center, we loss some depth and low end. Definitely a phase issue.

Sent from my iPhone