X32 thumb drive issue

Kent Clasen

Freshman
May 27, 2011
I have a problem retrieving a thumb drive recording.

I operated sound for a church with an X32. I used the USB recording but this was a different thumb drive than had been used previously. I received word that they could not find the files from the services. I double checked during the talk that the record was RED and the cassette wheels were spinning, signal levels where moving etc. I recorded 2 talks x 2 services. The file usage looks like it is the used space, but you can't see any files. Have tried Apple and PC.

I emailed the care@music group address yesterday, but haven't received a response.

I searched online and found this thread where a few ppl have had what sounds like a similar issue. I may have pushed the Record button to stop the recording, I don't recall exactly.

Recording onto a usb flash drive.

This was an important guest speaker and would really appreciate any help.

Any ideas??

Attachments

• thumb drive.jpeg
    thumb drive.jpeg
    509.7 KB · Views: 1
Re: X32 thumb drive issue

It is likely that you didn't stop the recording properly. You need to stop it and then wait until the access light goes off before doing something else, otherwise the file will not be closed properly and it will be invisible or corrupted or both.

Sometimes the recorded stuff might be recovered with a file rescue program, if you have someone nearby that have done this before, ask that person.

It is likely that you didn't stop the recording properly. You need to stop it and then wait until the access light goes off before doing something else, otherwise the file will not be closed properly and it will be invisible or corrupted or both.

Ahhh... this makes sense... I've been wondering why some of my recordings are missing. I've recorded several shows to a flash drive and I try to hit stop and record quickly between songs so they will be on separate files. I'm usually missing about 4-5 songs per show. Maybe I'm hitting the record button again too quickly after I hit stop on occasion and losing them that way?

Ahhh... this makes sense... I've been wondering why some of my recordings are missing. I've recorded several shows to a flash drive and I try to hit stop and record quickly between songs so they will be on separate files. I'm usually missing about 4-5 songs per show. Maybe I'm hitting the record button again too quickly after I hit stop on occasion and losing them that way?

You'd be better off recording the show as one large file and then breaking it down into individual songs post gig.
You'll have less to worry about that way.

Karl.

IIRC, it will automatically put splits every 15-20 minutes or so. Most of the time mid-song. I try to keep that from happening.
No, there was an upgrade that makes it stop and restart when maximum file size is reached. 2GB if I'm remembering correctly.

Dear All,
I just wanted to jump in and clarify some facts regarding the USB RECORDER on the X32. First of all and most importantly, Per is correct about the need to always stop the recording and allow the ACCESS light to turn off before removing the USB stick. Be sure you are actually pressing stop using the first screen encoder on the left, and not simply pausing the recording. If this is not done, including in the case of a power loss, you are likely to end up with a corrupt file.

Regarding file size, Per is also correct that we have updated the recorder some time ago so that when the maximum file size is reached, a new file will be created instantaneously and recording will continue until your stick is full. The maximum file size is 2GB, which is a limitation of the FAT file system.

In the event that your stick fills up before you stop recording, the recorder will automatically stop and finish writing the file.

Finally, I strongly recommend that you test the USB RECORDER with the USB Stick that you plan to use before the gig to be sure it is capable of keeping up with the recorder. Because manufacturers are always changing spec, it is not enough to simply use the same brand / model that you may have used in the past.

Hope it Helps!

So I emailed a guy I know at Behringer and he promptly had Chase (a X32 guru) give me a call, which I appreciated very much.

He explained much of what was discussed here. He suggested upgrading the latest 1.15 fw and always making sure the access light is done before removing drive. As John mentions, testing the drive is a great idea before the event.

We have also lost a file due to the stick filling up, which sounds like it has been corrected in fw update. This is why we had a different bigger drive last week. Chase also said to re-format the drive before each use so that files that were deleted (but if you don't empty your trash) are actually still taking up space on the thumb drive.

All good ideas and practices. These files and process is a bit more delicate than I initially thought....not as easy as a "cassette", more like an unsaved file if the computer is shut down. I have never had a problem with the LS9, but I almost always use UDKs for that process.

Unfortunately the files are gone. We tried file recovery unsuccessfully. The guy giving the talk has left town and I feel pretty badly about it as I was behind the desk. Lessons learned. I will be more aware moving forward, and will probably integrate a redundant CDR.

Thanks for all the responses.

This kind of thing is not unique to the X32 recording onto USB thumb drives isn't always as straight forward as it's cracked up to be, John's advice should be standard practice, also I've found it best to format the drive using the offending console regardless of make. G

Regarding file size, Per is also correct that we have updated the recorder some time ago so that when the maximum file size is reached, a new file will be created instantaneously and recording will continue until your stick is full. The maximum file size is 2GB, which is a limitation of the FAT file system.

Hi John,

Wanting to test the file size issue today, I ran music through the console and recorded for 3 hours and decided that was enough of a test.

The file size (one file) was 2.02 Gigs, so apparently there is not an exact limit at 2.0 Gigs, unless the measurement unit that appears on my MacBook's "file size" window is different. 3 hours with no break seemed like longer than most concerts that I do.

FWIW.

Thanks,
Dan