xlr release plunger broken, tips on removing the cable

mark anderson

Sophomore
May 4, 2011
I need a little help.
I have an x32-rack and today, for the first time, I plugged into channel 6. Apparently, the release plunger is broken. It has no spring and you can feel it's not pushing against anything. The barrel moves smoothly in the socket. When I try to pull it out it pulls the plunger forward but it doesn't release.
I've tried pushing a jewelers screwdriver in there but looking at the other inputs it appears the catch comes up from below instead of down from above.
Tips?

Re: xlr release plunger broken, tips on removing the cable

I had an Ashly DSP that had one input that would do the same thing. I found I could take the small screw from the XLR barrel holding the "guts" in place, use a small screw driver to hold "up" the plunger, then rotate the XLR barrel to the left or right...and then remove it. May work for you....

Good luck.

had a crest board that did this with most xlrs i plugged into a certain channel. unscrewed the boot and pulled the guts as above then grabbed the shell with a needle nose pliers (one inside the shell, one outside the shell so the point is pointing towards the board) and twisting left or right til it pops out.

Ack, I HATE snake boxes or mixers that have locks on the female XLR's :thumbdown:.

Well don't keep us in suspense what happened OP? Did you resolve your issue with the female xlr input on channel 6? I am waiting for an X32 Rack that should arrive tomorrow. I don't really want to have to mess with those inputs on the mixer itself and I plan to buy a patch bay to install jumpers from there into and out of the mixer. This way I can bring each labelled channel to the front of the rack via the xlr patch bay and avoid ever needing to touch the actual mixer when patching. This will also provide strain relief from all the stage inputs since I don't plan on always using a drop snake to collect the stage inputs. I have been using a regular X32 for a while and I notice the female xlr inputs seem to be likely to do something like that too, but I rarely plug stage inputs directly into that mixer either it seems a bit fiddly...

I'll try removing it again tonight. I'll let you know in the morning.

The same thing happened to me on my full size x32, I unscrewed the strain relief from the xlr connector, just leaving the barrel of the connector in the jack, and then made a 6 inch cable and attached it to that barrel. It is not the most ideal fix, but it makes the channel usable again. I will be replacing the part when I get the chance. I have already reached out to behringer and they were able to resolve the issue.

This assumes that the connector is a Neutrik style connector and not a Switchcraft. otherwise this fix would not work.

Luke

So I played with it tonight. The old "screw driver down the top" won't work. I couldn't tell but it seems like the catch comes from underneath. For now I have a 25ft cable wrapped up in the rack. It'll do until mid February when I have time to send it in for repair. Who knows, maybe by then they'll figure out this fancy design sucks and will repair mine with a more normal female end. It seems like a stupid, complicated and clumsy design for what is an unnecessary catch.

I need a little help.
I have an x32-rack and today, for the first time, I plugged into channel 6. Apparently, the release plunger is broken. It has no spring and you can feel it's not pushing against anything. The barrel moves smoothly in the socket. When I try to pull it out it pulls the plunger forward but it doesn't release.
I've tried pushing a jewelers screwdriver in there but looking at the other inputs it appears the catch comes up from below instead of down from above.
Tips?

Switchcraft or netutrik-style male connector? If it's the latter, you should be able to extract the cable and the pins relatively easly by disassembling the connector, then release the latch with a small flathead screwdriver. (don't forget to label the female connector!) If it's a Switchcraft-style connector, you'll need to open up the device with the female connector.

Thanks for the advice. I have an X32 Producer and a Yamaha DAW with the same problem. I'll try the suggestions and report back.

Sometimes when this happens if you push the connector in like you are plugging it in and then push the release and then gently try pulling it out it will release. A screwdriver is usually too thick to get it in as far as you need to, to make it release, but a feeler gauge might get in there. Again push the connector in while trying to insert the feeler gauge and then pull gently. If you have a spare chassis mount F-XLR connector take it apart and look at how it works this will help you to figure out what you need to manipulate to make it release.

Thanks for the advice. I have an X32 Producer and a Yamaha DAW with the same problem. I'll try the suggestions and report back.

Dear Tane

Please allow me to introduce myself; my name is Keith and I am a Care Technician at MUSIC in Kidderminster where we service and manage spare parts for all MUSIC brands. In regards to your X32 Producer we would love to help resolve your issue.

Would you be able to contact our technical support team to discuss the problem in more detail?
You can reach us at [email protected] or on +1-702-800-8290 (US) or +44 1562 732290 (UK)

Thank you for your on-going support and use of our brands.

I need a little help.
Tips?
There's no easy solution. I unscrewed the box from my wall and found you can get a small screwdriver in behind the socket. No damage done. I couldn't be arsed to replace the socket (hate soldering) so just put a msg sticker on the box saying input 5 Kaput.