Yamaha tf5 sound quality different in channel cue from stereo out cue

Jake Mathew

Dec 28, 2021
Calgary
When listening to the keyboard via head phones on that channel cue it is very clear and all mids are clear. However when listening to the stereo cue it is kind of muffled or should I say subdued especially on the mids. The same output comes out through the house speakers. Why are these two different? Please give some advise to get the same clear output on house speakers.

Is it possible you have the input routed through more than one pathway to the output?
Some desks introduce extra latency depending on how much processing is in each pathway, which if not compensated for can cause the effect noted.
(I haven't used the TF series, so I don't know if it's in this category or not - many higher tier desks do the compensation automatically for example.)

on the stereo out EQ: slight boost by +4 on low end up to100Hz, +2 on 4K and +2 at 15KHz that's it
Compressor settings: Threshold -13 ratio 3.5:1, attack 25 ms, release 309ms, Outgain +3.0 Knee Med
There are no Inserts.

OK, sorry, by "other pathway" I meant more than one route through the desk to the outputs, eg if you had a direct path from channel to output but also routed through a subgroup or effect bus as well?

David, there are no effects (inserts) on. As for other inputs after looking through all I kind off figured there are two stereo or usb ( same channel) and effects (total 8) that go to the output and these are all off. There are no sub groups setup or matrices setup in omnibus to stereo out.

on the stereo out EQ: slight boost by +4 on low end up to100Hz, +2 on 4K and +2 at 15KHz that's it
Compressor settings: Threshold -13 ratio 3.5:1, attack 25 ms, release 309ms, Outgain +3.0 Knee Med
There are no Inserts.
You've described an EQ on the stereo bus that would boost the lows and highs above the mids and are asking why the mids sound muffled. How does the stereo out compare to the input when the stereo bus EQ is bypassed?

You've described an EQ on the stereo bus that would boost the lows and highs above the mids and are asking why the mids sound muffled. How does the stereo out compare to the input when the stereo bus EQ is bypassed?
Thank you for the advise. I turned off the EQ and GEQ on the stereo bus and there was a slight improvement. Then I brought down the compressor threshold to -6 and that made a considerable difference. Now the cue on the stereo is same as the individual keyboard and other channels. Consider this as solved. Thank you Riley.