zener diode(s) for hf protection

Hiep Nguyen

Freshman
Apr 30, 2014
hello, I have read somewhere that a zener or 2 along with a resistor network circuit to be used in passive crossover mainly to protect the hf drive from over-voltage damage. Has anyone use as such? How is the amp react over the circuit? Is it possible? Any idea?.
thanks,
Hiep

hello, I have read somewhere that a zener or 2 along with a resistor network circuit to be used in passive crossover mainly to protect the hf drive from over-voltage damage. Has anyone use as such? How is the amp react over the circuit? Is it possible? Any idea?.
thanks,
Hiep
The first time I saw this was several decades ago in some Klispch LaScalas

The series resistor helps to keep the amp from seeing a low impedance load when the circuit "fires".

i m thinking a resistor and a bulb in series would work, the hard part is to find the parts that work with the driver intend:cry:

i m thinking a resistor and a bulb in series would work, the hard part is to find the parts that work with the driver intend:cry:

As with any sort of protection, you FIRST have to determine what sort of level of protection you want-where you want it to "kick in" etc.

Despite what "the internet" tells you, there are a lot of specifics that have to be considered.

And there are advantages and disadvantages to different types of protection schemes and WHERE they are used.

They work differently in different parts of the circuit.

Ivan,
I am planning to built 2 levels of protection for the hf driver,,
The zenners circuit will be a clip limiter similar to peak-to-peak limiter.
It will be wired after high-pass x-over.
The resistor and bulb provide amp loading when zenners "on".
The bulb provide an indicator as it will be mounted near the port.

I have seen lamps in series, or PTC (positive temperature coefficient) fuses, conductors that shift to high impedance when hot.

A zener clamp shunt would have to be sized adequately (several watts) to handle the power shunted away from the driver. A zener would be fast acting but perhaps not a good match for the driver failure mechanism that is a slower power wrt time.

JR