Double 10 and Horn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Max Warasila View Post
    Bennett - is there a good way to explain the model numbering system at B&C? PM or email me if you'd prefer.
    Hey Max,

Sort of, but we try and avoid drawing too clear a link between a series and some intended application since we see all sorts of "unintended" applications and don't want to pigeonhole. You've got the right idea from the website. I normally suggest to OEMs that they let me know their application and I can make a suggestion using a combination of my ruthless intellect, crystal ball, and what I've seen someone else succeed with. So little about transducer behavior can be determined from T/S parameters, you can get in the ballpark but until you turn it up in your prototype box it's a crapshoot. On paper we're just another transducer supplier, eh? You're more than welcome to email me if you have some specific questions. [email protected]
    -- Bennett Prescott
    Sales & Operations Manager - North America
    B&C Speakers NA, LLC
    Office: (973) 248-0955
    Cell: (518) 488-7190

Comment

Hi,
      I've been reading through both of the DIY Mid High threads and got really tempted to build the 90-version. When I found the threads I couldn't stop reading, learned a lot. But as of now, I really don't need that output. I also prefer a more compact system knowing that I not always have access to suitable transport vehicle. Thats why I think I'm going to build this D10Horn with components:

BMS 4594HE
      RCF HF950
      B&C 10NDL64

I have a db-mark xca 48, but need new amplifiers. Thinking go passive xo for the coax to save money at first, then might buy another amp for tri amp. I've also considered using MiniDSP PWR-DSP3 to get full active box but haven't found any pro audio usage of them.

Carl

Comment

Peter,

I'm about to build some of these, and was wondering what your thoughts on using the B&C 10MBX64 in this cabinet would be? I figure it might be prudent to tune it a little higher, but other than that, it would certainly be more capable of keeping up with the BMS driver than the 10NDL64.

Thanks in advance!
        -MAX WARASILA

Comment

Originally posted by Max Warasila View Post
          Peter,

I'm about to build some of these, and was wondering what your thoughts on using the B&C 10MBX64 in this cabinet would be? I figure it might be prudent to tune it a little higher, but other than that, it would certainly be more capable of keeping up with the BMS driver than the 10NDL64.

Thanks in advance!
          I did a quick sim on the 10MBX64 - it looked like it would work very well; and I would tuned it a little higher as you suggested.

The trick is being able to cross over to the horn at a low enough frequency so that the two 10's act as one driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Morris View Post

The trick is being able to cross over to the horn at a low enough frequency so that the two 10's act as one driver.
            Hi Peter, this (among many things is something I've yet to understand.....

I've heard 1/4 wave center-to-center spacing needs to be maintained, and I guess this makes sense looking at summation on the phase wheel.

But this seems to imply much lower x-over frequencies than seem possible.
            I mean, say a pair of 10" drivers can be spaced 10" center-to-center.
            10" quarter wave should = about 340Hz.
            What horn can reach there?

My understanding has to be whacked....
            What is a good rule of thumb here ?

thx! Mark

Comment

Maximum driver spacing for coherent summation depends on how far off-axis you care about coherent summation. If you can tolerate some cancellation off-axis (or perhaps you'd like some LF pattern control), spacing the drivers up to a half wavelength or so apart works fine. That brings the summation point for drivers 10" apart up to ~700hz, or doable with reasonable horns.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Timmerman View Post
                Maximum driver spacing for coherent summation depends on how far off-axis you care about coherent summation. If you can tolerate some cancellation off-axis (or perhaps you'd like some LF pattern control), spacing the drivers up to a half wavelength or so apart works fine. That brings the summation point for drivers 10" apart up to ~700hz, or doable with reasonable horns.
                Exactly ... and the double 10's are crossed at 650Hz :-) ... that gives good matching vertical directivity at the crossover point etc.

Comment

Ok, is it just a matter of some triangulation for the wavelength in question ? ....the path length difference to acoustic centers at whatever angle and distance to the speaker, placed on the phase wheel ?

If it is, I'm really pissed at myself for how long it's taken me to see something so simple ...lol

Comment

Recent News

Collapse

Working...
                  X